Exchanging a UK driving license

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
malcolm_lake
Tourist

Exchanging a UK driving license

Postby malcolm_lake » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:34 pm

I am trying very hard to abide by the new regulations and exchange my UK driving license for a Spanish driving license
I am resident in Spain , and I have all the relevant documents already printed out and ready to go
The problem is I am unable to get an appointment with Trafico to be able to start the exchange process , and an appointment is essential
I have been trying to get an appointment online for 2 months now , but with absolutely no success
Does any body have any ideas as to how to solve this problem

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Exchanging a UK driving license

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 pm

Surely if you didn't start the process before 31st Dec you can no longer exchange for a spanish license.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:34 pm

I believe the above information is correct and you will now have to take, and pass, a Spanish driving test to get a Spanish driving licence. :(
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:05 pm

I also believe the above is correct but to solve the appointment 'problem' I gave up and used a Gestor. They went the following Thursday - no problem.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Wow! Casita-bonita and Gerry, I didn't know that. However, I've had my Spanish licence for nearly a decade but I have a resident neighbour who keeps saying he will get around to it one day ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:17 pm

Did you register with Trafico that you wanted to exchange your licence prior to 31/12/21? I think they have extended the time to finish the application until the end of this year if so.

If you didn't start the process last year then you will be looking at taking a Spanish driving test. Appointments for anything seem to be impossible at the moment. Friends had to go to a town near to Antequera, over an hour's drive away, in order to register their S1 at the INSS as there were no appointments at Velez Malaga. I don't know if there are any other Trafico offices you could try. Otherwise it may be a case, like Lyric suggests, of having to go to a gestoria.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:22 pm

From the gov.uk site: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

If you did not register with DGT before 30 December 2020
If you did not register with DGT before 30 December 2020 and wish to exchange your UK driving licence, you should follow the DGT process for non-EU nationals. This includes taking a driving test.

The UK government is in discussion with the Spanish government on future driving licence exchange without the need for a practical test. Sign up for email alerts to this page, to get notified of our updates on changes to the rules.

Your valid UK licence will continue to be recognised in Spain until 30 June 2021.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Ditio all the above. If you didn't pre register to exchange before the end of 2020. Then you have to take a test and your licence becomes invalid at the end of the month. A 6 month extension if you did. Best bet is get a gestor if you are struggling

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:50 pm

DGT have extended it to the end of october now. Even for those who didn't pre register if they can prove they were here pre 2021. How that works when the guardia stop you is another issue

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:10 am

I read the below....to me this only covers the validity of a licence that was registered with DGT before 31 Dec 2020. It seems to contradict itself...or am I reading it incorrectly?

*Validity of UK driving licences extended to 31 October 2021*

We know that many of you have been anxious that the recognition of UK driving licences was set to end on 30 June. We are pleased that the Spanish Government yesterday announced that UK licences will continue to be recognised until 31 October 2021 for those of of you who were resident in Spain before 31 December 2020 – even if you did not get your residency document until after the end of the Transition Period. This extension applies whether you registered your intention to exchange your licence with the DGT before 30 December 2020 or not. You can see the Spanish Government’s announcement here: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/en/ ... hsfKm1ppgo. Please note that if you arrived after 1 January, your licence will only remain valid for six months from your arrival in Spain.

This does not affect the current arrangements for driving licence exchange. If you did not register to exchange your licence with the DGT before 30 December 2020 and wish to exchange your UK driving licence now, you would need to follow the DGT process for non-EU nationals, which includes taking a driving test. However, negotiations are underway between the UK and Spanish Governments on arrangements for the future exchange of UK driving licences without the need for a practical test. As soon as we have further information on this we will share it here. And to stay updated on the latest information on driving in Spain, please sign up for alerts to gov.uk/livinginspain.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:02 am

It seems to say that as long as you lived here prior to 31/12/20 you have the extended period to October to get your licence changed:
"This extension applies whether you registered your intention to exchange your licence with the DGT before 30 December 2020 or not."
You presumably need to prove that you were living here prior to 2021 though. Anyone moving here this year needs to do the test, and I guess anyone that cannot adequately prove they were resident here last year.

I have read that for those that registered their intention to change last year now have up until the end of this year to complete the action. Seems to be so difficult to get appointments anywhere at the mo.