Sierra de las Nieves

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Sierra de las Nieves

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:23 am

What fantastic news.

https://english.elpais.com/spain/2021-0 ... omies.html

I know this area quite well. When I had my house in Coín I had a great view of part of the Sierra de las Nieves from my balcony and it was, indeed, covered with snow some winters. There are terrific walks in the area and I can recommend that all you lucky people who live in the region to get out and enjoy your new national park. Congratulations.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Sierra de las Nieves

Postby katy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:46 am

We had full view of it too from the edge of Marbella. Been underrated for years. We used to walk in a forest with the dogs during the hottest weather, cool and fresh.
Here is an old thread, has taken them a while :D

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32759&p=316097&hil ... es#p316097

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Any practical suggestions of a location to go to to visit ?

Somewhere with great views, short walk, coffee shop with cake ( sorry bar or restaurant)

Tranquilo
Tourist

Postby Tranquilo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:35 pm

The drive from Coin to Ronda through the Sierra de las Nieves is beautiful and is very popular with cyclists and motorcyclists especially at weekends. Yunquera is a great place to stop off. At 690 metres it has some fantastic views, walks long and short, information at the Casa de Cultura in the main street. Lots of bars and restaurants, Bar Quini on the crossroads is popular with locals and visitors. If you want a meal Restaurante Enara is excellent. El Burgo, Alozaina and Casarabonela are all lovely as well.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:52 pm

Excellent , thank you. :thumbup:

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 am

Many years ago we did the drive from Coin to Ronda. If you are into birds of prey you will be in for a treat.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 am

We looked at a house to buy near Yunquera many years ago. We saw lots of vultures. Havent seen hardly any for years here in the Poniente. Love watching big raptors. Very recently watched a Montague Harrier take a rabbit from a buzzard! I would have put good money on the buzzard every day.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:51 pm

The road from Coín to Ronda used to be very scary. It was a single track-like ‘road’. Most people drove up to Ronda from San Pedro de Alcantara and that road was better. The road from Coín is much, much better now but still gives the same spectacular views and experience. We looked at properties in Yunquera, as well, but none of the ones we liked were legal. That was a long time ago; over 15 years.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:06 am

The road from Coín to Ronda used to end at El Burgo then, as you say, it was just a dirt track clinging excitingly to a precipice. I haven't used it for years so now it is probably a three lane highway. Spain isn't different any more.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:41 am

Thats exactly how the road/track was, yes. The first time I did it I was really terrified. I did a huge, long loop around and went back to Coín via other roads just so as to not do the return on the road/track. The last time I did it was about four years ago and the whole thing is now a two-way tarmac road that is narrow but a dream compared to what there was in the past. It is still spectacular.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:06 am The road from Coín to Ronda used to end at El Burgo then, as you say, it was just a dirt track clinging excitingly to a precipice. I haven't used it for years so now it is probably a three lane highway. Spain isn't different any more.
Still a twisty country/campo road

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:48 pm

We've just been up to El Chorro area for a couple of days and saw huge flocks of vultures. We saw couple of herons on one of the lakes as we were kayaking, but I was disappointed not to see any eagles or any other birds much at all.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm

That whole area was always one of my favourite places but I think all the eagles must be having a holiday in Extremadura. If I only knew how to post photographs I would put up one image of a short-toed eagle that flies over our finca on regular patrols.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi Lavanda,

For Posting Photos..........

Use https://postimages.org/

You can resize you picture and adjust the actual size of the upload image. Have a practice and check it out on the Preview before Submitting.

Well...........What are you waiting for :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:15 pm

always see vultures on road to Algamitas and Algodonales