Free Motorbike Parkiing Malaga Airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
john the baptist
Resident

Free Motorbike Parkiing Malaga Airport

Postby john the baptist » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:49 am

Hi everyone

Does anyone know what the current status of the ability to park at Malaga airport for free for motorbikes and scooters for a long weekend (internal flight to Bilbao).

I know the subject has been covered years ago but i have not used malaga airport for years (Covid and Gibraltar airport is 15 min away) however I wish to go to Bilbao to visit a friend for the weekend and would like to ride up as its only me and hand luggage.

Can anyone recommend an airline, it seems vueling is ok going to Bilbao but the flight back to malaga is 3 times the price making the internal flight as expensive as an easy jet flight to London from Gibraltar. Can anyone offer any advice on getting the best deal as im likely to make this journey many times.

Also has anyone driven or ridden the route?? its obviously over 1000 km so i assume its 10 - 12 hours and apart from the usual Costa Del Sol pay tolls is there a lot of paid roads up north and what is the best way to navigate around Madrid???

Many thanks advance

John B

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Free Motorbike Parkiing Malaga Airport

Postby Enrique » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 am

Hi ,
" best way to navigate around Madrid"..........

The quietest traffic wise

From A-4/E5......pickup the R-4 (Toll) then the M-50 round Madrid.

From the last "Service Station" on R-4 to the A-1 Burgos junction is usually 30mins keeping to the speed limits.

The M-45 is slightly shorter but I've not any update on traffic flow on this one.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:28 pm

I have driven from Malaga to Bilbao, pleasant drive in a 5 series auto and takes 9 to 10 hours. The only toll is when you are north of Burgos going to Bilbao but you can go onto non pay roads although the toll was cheap. On a bike I guess 2 coffee sandwich breaks would do.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 pm

john the baptist wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:49 am Hi everyone

Does anyone know what the current status of the ability to park at Malaga airport for free for motorbikes and scooters for a long weekend (internal flight to Bilbao).

Many thanks advance

John B
The airport have recently built a big car park JUST for bikes, just passed the petrol station on the ground floor. the entrance is JUST before the taxi rank entrance, and is only big enough for bikes, so dont miss it. Its open air, but free.

Its that new, that its not even on google maps..
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:21 pm

I've literally just walked past it, trust me, it exists.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks you everyone for your advice. Id rather fly than ride up for a long weekend but i cant seem to find a cheap flight back to malaga on vueling during the summer. Ive done Valencia in 11 hours over 1100 km over night but that was a flew years ago and not taking in the Madness of madrid.

I assume that the Madrid Bypass road is toll free??? and its only Burgos that has the Piaje???

great that they built a bike only parking for free at the airport.

thanks everyone

jb

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:16 am

Hi,

The A-4 run in to the M-50 is usually very busy hence why I always use the R-4 (Toll ........ 2 Toll payments total circa 12€ )

Flying will keep you from getting Monkey Butt ............. :D

For those that haven't heard of the term........some light reading.

https://jennyhansenauthor.wordpress.com ... nkey-butt/
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:45 pm

I drive Madrid to the coast and return maybe 20 times per year in a normal year. Time your run and Madrid traffic is no issue. On the way there just avoid hitting Madrid between 1pm and 6pm on a Friday after 5pm on a Thursday and the rest is fine. Entering Madrid you are against the traffic so rare you will need the R4 toll unless there is an accident.

On the way back don't arrive to Madrid anytime after 1pm on a Sunday. Just use Sat Nav to cross Madrid...use Google maps or Wave and it will advise of any traffic problems. Crossing Madrid is simple as long as you follow the Sat Nav...A4 M30 A1....it really is that simple just 3 roads to watch for.

In Madrid the toll road R4 saves no time unless there is traffic. The Burgos section will save you about 30 mins if you pay the toll regardless of traffic.

Overall though it's a bit far for a long weekend. 2 full days in the saddle, with stops you will do well to break 11 hours each way.

Flights to Málaga are always expensive in summer...it's when the airlines make their money but once out of summer the price drops off
What about taking the train?