Carhire Malaga Airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Carhire Malaga Airport

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:34 pm

My son has had difficulty hiring a car, it took 4 attempts to manage a booking, the first three attempts came back with no cars available for his dates. I did mention that i had read somewhere that some companies have been selling their cars or at least some of the stock and that could be one of the reasons. One of the companies who he has rented with a number of times took 2 days to get back with no cars available, they usually get back straight away even in the busiest of times. I wonder what is going on. When we rented our car some weeks back i did notice the rental company had only one member of staff working in the office, he was dealing with all the paper work as well as handing over keys and vetting the cars coming in, he seemed to have his work cut out.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Carhire Malaga Airport

Postby Screagle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 am

Pamela1, has your son tried doyouspain.com?

Saludos

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:46 am

Or zest formally economy car hire

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:00 pm

Elusive he tried zest yesterday but for some reason he couldn't even make a booking.He has now made a booking with marbelsol and they have confirmed it instantly, he's had a few bookings with them in the past without problems so hopefuly this one will go the same way..He was starting to think he would have to give in and book with one of the companies he prefers to avoid.I'd advise people to book well in advance, not just for availability but on price also.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:40 pm

Prices have rocketed!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 pm

Autos remo is next door to us, they seem nice enough.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:03 am

Just checked them out spanish_lad, their prices come with all inclusive insurance. Cheaper than most other companies which offer the same. :thumbup:

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:11 pm

Just got back to UK having used ok-rentacar for the first time. (Usually use RecordGo but their prices were too prohibitive). So far no problem, very nice lady at drop off checked the car over and confirmed no issues 🤞

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:47 am

I was told by one od the staff at Malaga Car that during Covid that companies did
not take up the cars they would have booked in advance as they were not needed.
Basically the companies do not have cars....

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 am

Many of the car companies also sold a percentage of their stock, it wasn't making them any money sat in the garage. During the summer it took my son a fourth attempt to hire a car due to none being available.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am

Let’s hope the pricing normalizes soon. As it is for my 4 week trips it’s cheaper to catch a ferry, pay for 2 nights hotel and fuel for 1200 miles than Ryanair and car hire a micro 900cc pocket rocket.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am

Don't try paying with an Amex card as someone we know did that arrived at the weekend. I don't know what company they used (they used an agent) but they wouldn't accept that and although they would accept a debit card with a 250€ extra insurance payment, their bank blocked the payment. They couldn't get through to their bank, and the car hire company wouldn't change the booking to the wife's name who had acceptable cards with her.

They tried to rebook with another company but they wanted 600€, so they caught an Uber to the house. Luckily there is a car here for them to use but with a 3 month old and a vast amount of luggage, they thought it easier to just rent a car at the airport. After and hour and half to get through passport control and another couple of hours trying to sort out the car hire, they were pretty frazzled to say the least. I expect somewhere it was written in the small print which is why it's so important to check it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 am

ashtondav wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am Let’s hope the pricing normalizes soon. As it is for my 4 week trips it’s cheaper to catch a ferry, pay for 2 nights hotel and fuel for 1200 miles than Ryanair and car hire a micro 900cc pocket rocket.
Have you looked at the local hire car companies in Torrox/Nerja? May be cheaper to get here by bus then get a hire car or some of them deliver to the airport? I thought the ferry crossing was expensive plus the fuel to drive down here which is pricey now. What is an acceptable price for 4 weeks car hire?

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:28 pm

i'm looking at a 3 month stay next autumn so would be interested in a cheaper long term rental option if anybody has any experience or bright ideas. otherwise i'd resolved to drive down with my own car

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Where are you going to be in Spain Flashman? Hopefully the situation may have settled down a bit by next year and the hire cars will be back to more normal prices. I am looking at Lanzarote for our usual trip this winter and so far the price for a week is 151€ when last time we went it was 59€. Usually we don't pay much at all for a week's hire so I shall leave it and see if the price goes down nearer the time, which it has done in the past.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Have booked through Malagarcar.com for middle of November, prices much more reasonable. I've just had a car from them for 3 weeks, tyres underinflated, one of them very much. Also windscreen wipers barely cleaning windscreen. I know it is a quick turn round but for the price I paid I expected better.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm Where are you going to be in Spain Flashman? Hopefully the situation may have settled down a bit by next year and the hire cars will be back to more normal prices. I am looking at Lanzarote for our usual trip this winter and so far the price for a week is 151€ when last time we went it was 59€. Usually we don't pay much at all for a week's hire so I shall leave it and see if the price goes down nearer the time, which it has done in the past.
Don't leave it too long Wicksey, all throughout this year i have noticed the later you leave it the higher the price, you could always book one on free cancelation to guard against being caught out with a higher price later...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:05 am

In the Canaries they seem to run their car hire companies differently. They don't have an excess to pay for instance, so no faffing around checking out all the tiny scratches and marks on the car as they're not bothered. Also we don't pay anything in advance and just pay on the day. Very much more laid back than everywhere else. I shall keep monitoring it as it's still a while away.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:52 pm

Ah ok, i didn't know it was so different in the Canaries. The cars must come with full insurance? i don't usually pay anything up front when i am reserving a car in Malaga with the companies which i have used but i guess it's not the same with every company. Excess is usually payable in Malaga if people do not take the car hire companies ful insurance. Nowadays it's not unusual to see an excess of 1,200 e and some charge more. I go out of my way to avoid those with high excess charges, I've heard too much about people being ripped off at the drop off point when car hire staff go out of their way to find scratches which were always there. Not a great ending to anyone's time away.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 pm Where are you going to be in Spain Flashman? Hopefully the situation may have settled down a bit by next year and the hire cars will be back to more normal prices. I am looking at Lanzarote for our usual trip this winter and so far the price for a week is 151€ when last time we went it was 59€. Usually we don't pay much at all for a week's hire so I shall leave it and see if the price goes down nearer the time, which it has done in the past.
just south of granada, usually hire from malaga airport but well over 100 per week is starting to add up compared to the 30-40 per week pre COVID. Price normally goes up as time ticks on so it's good to get something booked sooner with the free cancellation that most offer these days. i think it's true that the companies have sold off a significant portion of their stock so supply and demand is working against us atm. i have the annual excess insurance which has always worked for me so far without problems (crosses myself and turns around three times!). OK rentacar were very good actually, my only problem was finding them in the first place as i was lead to believe they were off-airport and went looking for a shuttle bus :roll: