Carhire Malaga Airport

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Carhire Malaga Airport

Postby Wicksey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:52 pm Ah ok, i didn't know it was so different in the Canaries. The cars must come with full insurance? i don't usually pay anything up front when i am reserving a car in Malaga with the companies which i have used but i guess it's not the same with every company. Excess is usually payable in Malaga if people do not take the car hire companies ful insurance. Nowadays it's not unusual to see an excess of 1,200 e and some charge more. I go out of my way to avoid those with high excess charges, I've heard too much about people being ripped off at the drop off point when car hire staff go out of their way to find scratches which were always there. Not a great ending to anyone's time away.
We used to have the excess insurance but it seems we cannot have the UK one anymore (iCarhireinsurance etc). I seem to remember someone had found one that us non residents could use. I don't need it for the Canaries and I think it will be some time before I'll ever get back to the UK and need it.

The Canarian company we use does have an optional extra insurance to cover keys, glass, tyres but it's only 3€ a day so not much if we want it as usually it is pretty cheap overall. I used to hate taking cars back when they used to go over the whole thing looking for the tiniest mark. Picking it up was always fraught as well in case you'd missed something and we were always a bit groggy after the journey there.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 am

Just a little bit of advise fpor anyone hiring a car..
If a person they are being charged for damage not caused as there is a bit of this going on.
Do not enter your pin for a transaction of this nature.
They already have your deposit and they can take from that...
If you enter pin you are accepting the charge and confirming payment...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:37 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:30 am
ashtondav wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:24 am Let’s hope the pricing normalizes soon. As it is for my 4 week trips it’s cheaper to catch a ferry, pay for 2 nights hotel and fuel for 1200 miles than Ryanair and car hire a micro 900cc pocket rocket.
Have you looked at the local hire car companies in Torrox/Nerja? May be cheaper to get here by bus then get a hire car or some of them deliver to the airport? I thought the ferry crossing was expensive plus the fuel to drive down here which is pricey now. What is an acceptable price for 4 weeks car hire?
I pay £600 return ferry, £400 fuel/ hotels/meals. Total £1,000. The wine and spirits We return with saves us £200 on uk prices so my net cost is £800. I pay £300 return for two on Ryanair (I don’t do 6am flights or random seating) and about £130 a week (for a 4 week hire from a decent company, not the Delpasos of this world!). Plus there’s sometimes a fueling charge and an extra driver charge. For my more usual 6 week visit with current car hire prices it is even cheaper to use the ferry.

So for 3 weeks or less I fly. 4 weeks or more I sail.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:33 pm

That's interesting to see the comparison in prices. The so called low cost airlines aren't cheap now by the time you have the add ons. Even Vueling now is charging you priority if you want to take carry on baggage so I can see it adds up. If you don't mind the drive then it's not too bad, and as you say, you can take back some booze (although are there duty free limits now like the old days?)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:49 pm

As far as i know yes Wicksey there are duty free limits but it's a case of who is actualy there to enforce that...No security checking peoples bags in arrivals during the last 2 trips which i've taken..Can't speak for those arriving by boat though.