Covid Test-to-Fly coming from UK to Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Covid Test-to-Fly coming from UK to Spain

Postby Lavanda » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:02 pm

After much investigation for the test to fly home I opted for the service run by Boots the Chemist. Follow the instructions on the boots.com site and buy the test. Go to the Boots site and book the appointment. Turn up. Get tested and they take payment at that stage. All done.

The thing about this test is that a trained person tickles your tonsils with a small thin bottle brush utensil and then gently whizzes around both nostrils — but only in the lower part. They do NOT stick the brush into the nostrils until your eyes water. The process is not horrible and my person said that all the necessary material can be gathered without any invasive trauma. I was dreading it but it was nothing like I had been expecting and like I had read in the media, i.e. brushes prodding brains.

The results and certificate popped into my e-mail 25 hours later.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Covid Test-to-Fly coming from UK to Spain

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:02 pm After much investigation for the test to fly home I opted for the service run by Boots the Chemist.
Lavanda am I right in thinking you don't have a Smartphone? I was wondering how you did the locator form for Spain as I understnad it's like the UK one and has to be completed within 48 hours of returning?

I am just looking at what you need to do as my OH would like to go back in the next couple of months to see his dad but, although he has a Smartphone, there isn't data on it and anyway there's no mobile signal at his dad's (and he doesn't have internet). Even if he goes somewhere he can use wifi he isn't great at using it as I handle all things techie. I wondered if I could do the form and send him QR that he would need to enter Spain. He's been jabbed so wouldn't need the test to enter Spain which at least is something. Must say, the more I read about it, the more palava it seems. I think the whole thing of tests and forms is putting him off the idea :roll:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:06 pm

I do not have a Smartphone, no. When I go to the UK for a while I take my laptop and my parents' lovely neighbours give me the password to piggyback on their wi-fi (which comes through the walls of the house). I did all the stuff that needed to be done and once I had my code on my negative test I put it on the locator form and sent it off and, quick as a flash, they sent me a QR code which I printed at the local library, along with the negative certificate — just to make sure I had all my bases covered.

You could do the form for him if you know all his details including his passport number, expiry date, etc. and when you get the code you could send the QR code back to him (by e-mail). All he has to do is go to the local library, sign up for free, get on a computer and print the thing off for 10p black and white or 50p colour. Someone will help him if he is unsure how to do it. It's a solution, anyway.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks for that Lavanda. He wouldn't need a test to come back as he's vaccinated and I guess the Spanish locator form is pretty straightforward to do. I have heard that the one for the UK can take a while to complete. It's still an idea as every time he asks, his dad tells him not to worry about going, but of course after 18 months my OH would like to go, and before winter sets in preferably!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:22 am

You can fill in quite a lot on the U.K. one and ‘save as you go’. The Spanish form stopped dead once you put the flight dates in and just tells you to complete it 48 hours before you go BUT from what I remember the U.K. one has lots of pages but the Spanish one is simpler.

If your OH wants to go I suggest now is better than later as schools and universities will start again and there will be a new ‘surge’ and everyone will over-react and there will be more complications again. Only my opinion, of course.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:21 am

We're thinking that winter may bring new restrictions in travel. Not so bad for him as he'd be staying with his dad and so no extra costs involved in accommodation or carhire etc. Plus he's been recently vaccinated so it's not due to expire shortly! Also I would be here so no problems with looking after the cats, which is another consideration if we both went away then were delayed getting back home. Apart from a trip to the Canaries (which I would need a test for), we have no plans to both go to the UK, particularly as I would have to quarantine and have the two tests there. It's just not worth the hassle for me to go.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:48 am

I know what you mean. My OH usually goes to the UK in September for a 'Cricket tour' where his old work team plays Devon villages for three days. Excuse for a catch-up and booze-up, really. He did not go last year but they did not play anyway. This year they are playing and he is tempted to go, but in the end, decided against it. We have only been away together once in 15 years because we also have animals. If I did not still have my parents i would never go back to the UK. All the remaining family and friends prefer to come to us (in normal times).

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:37 pm

Just done the paperwork for our visitor to go back to UK.

Easy enough when it worked. Technology should not be that hard. Took a couple of hours only.

Good practice for us for a weeks time……

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:15 pm

Is this testing going both ways here indefinitely?
Is it numbers or Brexit?
With EU pretty well open i just wonder what's happening with this....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 pm

It's just Covid and not Brexit as far as I know. I suspect it will be with us for a while yet ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:53 am

Cádiz wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:15 pm Is this testing going both ways here indefinitely?
Is it numbers or Brexit?
With EU pretty well open i just wonder what's happening with this....
You only need a test to return to Spain if you haven't been vaccinated. Fully jabbed just need proof of vaccination as I understand it. Of course travel rules keep changing so it's difficult to keep up sometimes :crazy:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 pm It's just Covid and not Brexit as far as I know. I suspect it will be with us for a while yet ...
Maybe forever :mrgreen:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:23 pm

Yeah as wicksey says. You only need a test to come to spain if not doubled jabbed. Otherwise just proof and to fill in the spanish health form declaration thingy

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:26 am

Now this is strange. Were catching a ferry on Wednesday, arriving Thursday. I was expecting the FCS form not to permit full data entry and print until tomorrow (48 hours before arrival). Filled in the form today and they confirmed it was correct and sent me a pdf with the QR code on it. I did fill in the maritime form so maybe there’s a little more leeway than by plane?

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:02 pm

The 48 hours that you mention is 48 hours before departure on flights so i expect the same for ferry.

Can some please clarify if i have this right... it has already being confirmed to me here that full vaccine do not need test travel to Spain.

Can someone please confirm if i have this right... We do need to have an Antigen test before we return to any part of the UK.
The site i get info from has not been updated for 3 weeks and i like confirmation....

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:18 pm

Updated 4 days ago from TUI. Do I need a PCR test before returning from Spain?

No, you do not need to take a PCR test. The mandatory UK re-entry requirement is a test to return antigen (rapid flow) test, which you must take before you fly home. The government has an ‘advisory’ in place for a PCR test – this is not a compulsory requirement.

Full table of requirements
https://www.tui.co.uk/holidays/where-ca ... 060921.pdf

Still don’t know why I was able to receive and print my fcs qr code 3 days before arrival. Hope it’s valid!

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Thanks for clarity as nice to have confirmation.
I wonder why it is that the rule not the same in both direction... is it a numbers thing.... or political decision.....

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:56 pm

Each country can make their own rules. If it were by numbers uk folks wouldnt be going very far considering the postive rates there.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Yes that's the confusing bit UK to Spain no test..... Spain to UK test... it makes no sense to me but i have not really fallowed trends...
It would be just be easier if not needed.....

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:10 am

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but this is a link to an article from Which? magazine about testing companies in UK -

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/09/tr ... -medicals/.

You shouldn't need to log in to read this, tho' some of the links may require membership (I haven't read the whole article as it doesn't apply to me !)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)