EU Passport for entry into Gib?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Unicorn
Resident

EU Passport for entry into Gib?

Postby Unicorn » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:25 pm

I notice that EU nationals etc entrance into UK now requires a passport rather than an ID card.

I would have thought that this may hurt EU students going for language courses,who may well opt for Dublin as an easier alternative, and also tourists and general visitors (Christmas shopping) to the UK. But all indications are that UK want to keep out 'undesirables'!

I am no expert in the forgery game, but I would imagine that a fake passport is probably as easy to get hold of as an ID card. Is there any more information on an EU passport that is not available from the ID card?

But mainly my question is whether anyone knows if a Spanish passport, rather than a DNI, is required for entry into Gibraltar? I had a quick look and cannot find anything that relates to this change.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: EU Passport for entry into Gib?

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:51 pm

As far as I can see from the gov.uk site it just says that you need a valid passport in order to enter Gib.

I know a Dutch man here who says he carries his passport all the time as ID as he only has the green paper residencia that we all used to have, as an EU citizen resident in Spain. We are lucky now to be able to get the TIE which I consider to be a proper ID card for living here. Personally I don't think there's a lot of difference whether you carry your passport for entry ID into a country rather than your ID card.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:38 pm

At a cost of €26 every 10 years, I can’t imagine that it will be a problem.

Incidentally a UK passport it the only official ID for a Brit. A TIE is probably going to be accepted inside Spain but you are still legally required to hold and if required, show a British passport.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Do gib make up their own rules on this? As im sure theres a heck of Lot of spaniards who have no need for a passport as they can use their DNI for travel within the E.U.

Saw patels twitter post on this. Talk about taking a swipe at the E.U by claiming ID cards are insecure and thats why they are changing the rules.Also to stop people abusing the system. Not sure how many E.U nationals were abusing the system!?Yet all the ignorant fools comments think this has something to do with those coming over the boats from france. They all deserve each other

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Sid I have a Spanish DNI and passport. That is why I was asking as passports obligatory for going into UK from today not DNI, as was previously.

Maybe also will kaibosh the temporary workers they are hoping for in UK, just another barrier. Here you get the Spanish passport in 10 minutes at the police station but it maybe not so quick in other countries, I have no idea. Also here it cost 30 euros (I seem to remember) but prices vary country to country.