car hire

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Cádiz
Resident

car hire

Postby Cádiz » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:12 pm

Person hires car through EasyJet/Car Trawler hires car for 9 days 10,00 to 10.00 with company Del Paso Malaga.
Pays total cost upfront on day contract agreed... the car for next week....
Now realizes flight not arrive until 12.30 because of some error somewhere so pick-up be 1 pm ish.
Contacts all parties to change times and refused as contract expires if more than 2 hours late for pick-up and no refund...

I have my own views but will ask opinion here first...
Advise welcome Thanks...

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: car hire

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Del Paso should be avoided like the plague :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 am

Del Paso are scammers and try it all the time. First call should be your card company and you will definitely get a full refund. That is sharp practice at its worst.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:27 am

I have used Del Paso twice in the past and no problems but i consider i had a lucky escape.Since reading about cards being cloned and other scam problems i avoid them, too many negative reports..They don't seem to care about building customer relationships, repeat business or infact damaging reviews.They are rip off merchants who are best avoided.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:24 am

daveboy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 am Del Paso are scammers and try it all the time. First call should be your card company and you will definitely get a full refund. That is sharp practice at its worst.
Hopefully that works out for op, but I'm curious on what grounds. If the contract says pickup within two hours of appointed time or no refund, and that it is not an illegal contract, on what grounds would the card company allow the charge back? I don't think rental company being [d]icks about it qualifies unfortunately.

OP, is it your error, or is it a involuntary schedule change by the airline? In the latter case, I'd be much more hopeful about a favourable outcome with
card company, regardless of protests from rental company.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:24 pm

My point really is that the total cost was paid in the day of booking from day/time 00/00 why would there be a late charge on a product already paid for in full with receipts from invoice + card info... the contract was complete so in my view if car paid for should be available...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:32 pm

What were the terms of the booking? Could the booking have been canceled?

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 pm

yes....

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:28 am

Ok, so i hope the op canceled the booking after they refused to change the pick up time and got their refund...

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 am

The original booking cost was €122... the car cost today €440 so the company wanted difference...
They eventually reluctantly allowed the change after Easyjet contacted them several times i was told...
I do not give up too easy as 3 parties involved Easyjet/Car Trawler/Del Paso...

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 am

Delpaso also have in their small print the requirement for an International Driving Permit. This is entirely unnecesary from a legal point of view.

But if you turn up without a IDP you have to buy their rip off insurance. Turn up with an IDP and reject their insurance and they are slightly less than happy

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am

Best answer is...Just don't be tempted by their cheaper rates and avoid them..The saving isn't worth the hassel or stress..

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Pamela,
Thanks for that as i just thinking the same after all the comments i seen here...

Regards....

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:55 pm

My booking for car hire in December has the following:

Please note that if you do not have an EU driving licence you will need to bring an international driving licence along with your original licence to rent the car.

Well I still have the euro sign on my licence but will OK (the hire company) demand idp for both me and wife?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:50 pm

Hired cars on 3 different occasions this year with two different companies at Malaga airport, the last one being in late Oct..Never been asked for IDP for either OTH or myself.

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:29 pm

It was going to be compulsorily to have an IDP but then all EU members agreed to scrap that rule. I am thing that was an old email thats been sent by accident.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Strange. Not an old email, it was attached to my booking confirmation yesterday. Bought one just in case.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:41 pm

i too went to the effort of getting an IDP for a booking with OKRental as it was the first time i'd used them. i thought it was them being over pedantic. However it wasn't requested at the desk just the usual license and passport

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Some car hires do ask for one. If they say they want one then jist get one to be in the safe side. Regardless of the law if its in their T&C's theres no point chancing it

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:41 am

Pamela1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:57 am Best answer is...Just don't be tempted by their cheaper rates and avoid them..The saving isn't worth the hassel or stress..
Pamela so you can have a laugh at "me"
I decided to take your advice and cancel but then decided what the hell for a one-off it be ok.
I had paid for the car up front and i have excess insurance so i needed to pay around 1k deposit. I was using the same card as i made the initial payment and there was a few grand available. They refused to accept this card as it had my first name initial only, they would accept this card if i paid €160 for extra insurance. The only other card i bad with my full name was a debit but i did not use as hard to get refund from a shower like these.
They refused to refund my original payment so i entered a charge-back which is still ongoing, the credit card company issued the charge-back and they disputed so its still running... hopefully it will be ok...