Women denied entry into Spain for missing Passport Stamp

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
pensure1988
Resident

Women denied entry into Spain for missing Passport Stamp

Postby pensure1988 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:17 am

This is what could happen to Non-Residents who do not obey the Schengen rules. Very scary.

https://www.chronicle.gi/uk-woman-denie ... mp-report/

David

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Women denied entry into Spain for missing Passport Stamp

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am

I have seen that or a similar article, but if she had not been shown as leaving, how can she be trying to enter Spain again? At some point she must have left and in the article I read, she had proof of leaving but border control weren't interested.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:58 am

Looks dodgy to me, I don't know of many people (although there are some) who travel to mainland Spain via Gibraltar, normally it's Malaga !

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:43 am

Dodgy?? What if she lived in La Linea or Sotogrande. Obvious airport is Gibraltar.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:54 am

daveboy wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:43 am Dodgy?? What if she lived in La Linea or Sotogrande. Obvious airport is Gibraltar.

As I said there are some who would do this but not many. I suspect that this individual has been attempting to enter Spain by the back door and failed, AND, I am entitled to my opinion !

If indeed any brits DO live in La Linea then we should pray for them !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:56 pm

We used Gibraltar quite a lot when living in Marbella. Less traffic and less time. For Brits living in Estepona it’s quicker than Malaga.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:10 pm

There has been quite alot said about passport stamping, some had their passports stamped and shouldn't have, one man didn't get a stamp at all and was worried about it.Another entered Spain a few months back via France and there was no security at passport control, he walked straight in..I think this year has been strange in more ways than one and if the woman had proof that she had left Spain then border control were being awkward in my opinion.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:16 pm

It would seem this is a two way street. I see no reason Spain should bend the rules. I am sure we all know of plenty of British immigrants here who attempt to do so.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... d-expelled

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Who said anything about bending rules!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 pm

If indeed any brits DO live in La Linea then we should pray for them !
----------
Sorry but :lol: :lol: then again they could live in Gib. Even worse :lol:

The cross border scanning system comes in next year so that should sort out any issues/missed stamps etc

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:10 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 pm If indeed any brits DO live in La Linea then we should pray for them !
----------

The cross border scanning system comes in next year so that should sort out any issues/missed stamps etc

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:10 pm
elusive wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 pm If indeed any brits DO live in La Linea then we should pray for them !
----------

True, Gibraltar is a ghetto with a few hundred brits and a few soldiers, the rest are a mixture of Asian, Spanish and maltese !! you absolutely couldn't pay me to live there, and I have absolutely no idea why the Spanish want it !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:13 pm

How well do you know it and how long since you were there. Most base it on a quick run to Morrison’s and bank. It has changed a lot. Best churros for age too. We spent 6 days recently at Rock Hotel. More Spanish style now but smart shops and good restaurants. We went because on green list but would consider going back anyway

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:43 pm

We never liked Gib until we went and was shown around by a local. Great place and anyone who slags it off is being very ignorant as guaranteed they haven’t seen the best parts of Gib.Most do the usual tourist places and only stay a few hours. Its not all Morrisons and M and S.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:18 pm

Its called being tongue in cheek.Although Catalan bay is nice. But its overpopulated, expensive, and terribly congested reasons as to why people left the uk and moved to spain! Not to mention the wealth made off the online gambling industry that has led to death and destruction in many families lives.

Some spanish want it ie the nationalist right but i doubt the 15k cross borders workers do as their jobs wouldnt be around for long. Had a friend who was half spanish/brit who worked in Gib and lived in la linea. She always laughed at the we are british mantra. She said theres hardly any "real" brits there. Gibraltar is a huge melting pot. Infact probably the only good thing about it. I remember seeing a orthodox jew and a arab muslim woman having a long natter on the high street once then leaving with a hug. You wouldnt see that in many places in this world!

Anyway just having my last evening in Cordoba after a couple of nights here. Stunning as always. Walked to palacio viana as recommended by one of the posters on here. Beautiful place even if the walk there nearly finished me off! Well worth it though.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:31 am

given that I have been to Gibraltar 20 times in as many years my opinion(and I'm entitled to it) stands, perhaps My standards are different than others. It appears to me that the most vocal here don't actually live in but just go there to get there jam,bacon etc !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:59 am

Oh I wouldn’t like to live there but there are a lot of places I like for a holiday but not live.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am

Pamela1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:10 pm .Another entered Spain a few months back via France and there was no security at passport control, he walked straight in..I think this year has been strange in more ways than one and if the woman had proof that she had left Spain then border control were being awkward in my opinion.
Leaving through France and leaving through Gibraltar are different. The rules are for the whole of Schengen so crossing the border at the French border means no stamp as the person has not left the common travel area. The same for entering Spain from France as the clock starts ticking when they enter Schengen at the British French border. That's where they need to have the passport stamped, not at the Spanish border.

I remember before Spain joined the EU, people telling me of day trips to Portugal so that they could renew their exit and entry visa. Those days are long gone and Spain and the EU and Spain have new criteria. We don't know the whole story but border control is no different to entering the UK which can seem over the top as well. There have been stories of young Spanish girls being locked up in detention centres and being sent back after being denied entry
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:42 am

Hi,
This highlights the need to Check your Passport ( Non EU Resident) for Exit Stamp before leaving Boarder Control.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.