New year stay, Puerto De La Duquesa

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
iainm

New year stay, Puerto De La Duquesa

Postby iainm » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:21 am

Hi all...hope this is the right area of the forum.

I'm thinking of booking to come over new year for a week in Duquesa. We'll be flying to gib from Edinburgh on the 31st.

Few things...
I know we'll need to tak a lateral flow in gib when we arrive. Is that enough to get us over the border into Spain? And do we need to wait for our results before crossing?

Also..will supermarkets be open in la Linea in the afternoon of new years eve? Wondering about groceries...

Finally, will bars and restaurants around the marina at Duquesa be open new years eve and New year's Day itself?
Obviously we don't want to arrive with no chance of getting groceries and/or eat out!

Advice gratefully received!

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: New year stay, Puerto De La Duquesa

Postby daveboy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:44 am

I dont know how busy Duquesa will be but you will be able to buy food and restaurants will be open if not all. The shops and restaurants close early on Xmas eve but Xmas days is quite a normal day. The nigh of the 5th and the daytime 6th of Jan are the big days. You may want to book a restaurant pre travel.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:51 am

I think most things are shut on New Years Day as people get over the night before.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:09 am

As far as I remember shops stay open on New years eve more or less until 8-9 in the evening. SuperCor in El Corte Ingles definitely stays open until its normal closing time. Bars and Pubs start winding down at around 10.00-10.30 and many reopen at 2 in the early hours. People head home to celebrate the actual new year with family, then go out again later. There may be some exceptions and some bars restaurants might be open throughout but will probably need to be booked.
New years day will depend on the individual bar but most tend to open in the afternoon, while most major supermarkets will be closed.
Details regarding Covid testing rules entering Gib
https://www.visitgibraltar.gi/covid-19b here
No test needed for Spain if fully vaccinated, One interesting question is if one is needed if someone spends only an hour or so in Gib.
Info regarding entering Spain here
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements
Last edited by markwilding on Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:16 am

Not to cross threads but what is 'fully vaccinated' now as far as visiting Spain is concerned?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:59 pm

In the case of documentary evidence of vaccination: country where vaccinated and date of vaccination with full schedule, at least 14 days prior to arrival in Spain, with vaccines authorised by the European Medicines Agency or by the World Health Organisation, and country where vaccinated. In the case of certificates with vaccines not authorised by these agencies, the last dose administered must be of one of the authorised vaccines. Complete vaccination schedules are defined as those established in the COVID-19 vaccination Strategy in Spain.

This is from https://www.spth.gob.es/info-pcr

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:16 am Not to cross threads but what is 'fully vaccinated' now as far as visiting Spain is concerned?
You need to have the booster in the Uk to be classed as fully vaccinated

iainm

Postby iainm » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks for all the advice!

Regarding tests, my wife and I are fully vaccinated, though my 15 year old isn't. I had read that gib require you to test even if you're only passing through.

Would the Guaria civil be checking vaccination status at the border?

daveboy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby daveboy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:15 am

Don’t think GC will but after you pass you passport control you may be checked as they do in Malaga. Once you are out of the airport it is very unlikly you will not be checked at the boarder with Spain.