Electronic devices

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
jonbar.1
Resident

Electronic devices

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:00 pm

My wife & I are going to the UK next month.
We will be carrying the following:
My wife: mobile phone & a tablet.
Me : my current mobile + an old mobile,with an English sim-card.
Which of these items must be carried in hand luggage ?
Cheers JB

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electronic devices

Postby elusive » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:24 pm

You should carry them all in your hand luggage so they dont get stolen or broken for starters. Due to the batteries in them they might have to be carried there aswell. A google should tell you.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks elusive.
Tried Google; didn't really help.
4 separate links told me that " Tablets & Mobiles could go in either Hold or Hand-Luggage"
This seemed contrary to "The word on the street" so I thought the forum might have a definitive answer.
Impossible of course, to actually speak to an airline.
( By the way: I would think my mobile has less chance of being stolen,locked in my suitcase ; than in my bag around the airport :think: )

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:49 pm

Anything electronic should always be in cabin in hand luggage. Never in hold for fire risk.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:54 am

Are there many reported incidences of mobile phones catching fire in suitcases/ in hold ?
Just did an internet check: According to the "gov.uk" advice website : Mobiles tablets,mp3players,hairdryers etc are all acceptable in both ,"hold: & "cabin".
As it happens, like you,we always carry our tablets & mobiles in our hand luggage. :thumbup:
Like most official travel advice these days, it is fickle to say the least. :?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:32 am

Where is the best place to have them when travelling can depend on where you are travelling to and from. We travelled back from Margarita and when we recovered our suitcase noticed several crosses marked on it. Like the frequent thefts travelling through Malaga airport of cigarettes a few years back these corresponded to where some items had been packed - nothing valuable, but attractive to a petty thief. An evening dress bag, an electronic translator gadget and some costume jewellery were all missing, and it was obvious that when the case had been x-rayed by security someone had marked where they could be found quickly. The travel insurance would not pay out, citing that "valuable items" should not be packed in hold luggage.
Although it is a pain having to take all our phones, iPads and laptop out for inspection by security at least they will travel by our side, and be insured.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I generally carry my laptop, pad and cellphone in my hand luggage as advised by the aviation authorities, carrier, in my case Finnair.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:43 pm

The phone just stays in my pocket, the same as any journey and is quite useful to have at hand when landing back in Bilbao. Now it's possible to use it as soon as the plane is on the ground, I can message my son to head to the airport, which takes about the same time as getting through the airport meaning he doesn't need to hang around if the flight's late.

I won't risk putting my laptop or tablet into the hold ever again as some years ago, one got a dent due to the fact the suitcases get thrown about. Anyway, I use the tablet to read or maybe even watch something on it during the flight.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:28 pm

I would never put valuables in the hold luggage, plus the fact they chuck your case around and they may be damaged.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Hand luggage along with chargers. Take out of bag and put separately in security tray.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:19 pm

It’s a PITA but has to be done. We travel with 2 cellphones, 2 iPads and a laptop, plus chargers, so getting them out at security along with sets of keys, coins and belts takes a while - meanwhile I have to hold my trousers up with one hand! I never wear shoes with laces or big heels either. The main reason I wish I was rich is that I would love to avoid all this carry on by travelling in an executive jet! Do the business class passengers have to go through it?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:01 pm

I've never taken chargers out of the bag for security, or phones. I have only ever taken my laptop out and put into the tray separately, but my OH does take his belt off.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:06 pm

You can never have flown from Alicante, or Leeds!

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:16 am

I always put mine in the security tray. Saves any hassle

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:17 am

In fact i think you are supposed to present them. the security staff are always announcing such

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:30 am

A slight digression: we normally stick a couple of small Xmas presents in the suitcase when we go to UK.Do we now have to declare them?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:56 am

I wouldn’t declare unless they have a big value.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:57 am

No. Only coming into the E.U. uk keeps delaying inforcement

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:27 am

peteroldracer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:06 pm You can never have flown from Alicante, or Leeds!
Nope, but I have used Gatwick, Stansted and Malaga very regularly in the past (pre-Covid) and never been asked to take the chargers out of my bag. In fact we went through Malaga with a part filled bottle of water in our rucksack that we forgot last week, and that never got picked up :think: .

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:19 pm

Laptops and phones have to be out of bags at Gatwick and Heathrow. They are always watching and telling everyone. I take ipad and 2 phones. There is fast track with BA if you are gold or silver Executive club or firstclass. but have heard comments that it is sometimes as busy as normal one. Just back from Antigua and every Covid document had to be printed and held up on plastic screen at BA. Seems to cut out queues at gatwick though as they only checked Passports. 3 flights left Antigua last night 2 BA 1 virgin and they were all full. Seems people don't mind the inconvenience.