Andalucia travel information

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
slamminhammo
Tourist

Andalucia travel information

Postby slamminhammo » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm

Hi All
I am new to this site and live in the UK.
My wife and have travelled to Andaluca a reasonable amount but never really been east of Malaga!
We have just booked flights to come over for four weeks, starting mid February.
We have booked an apartment in La Herradura for a week from that time a s a first stopover. but nothing else. (that is also refundable so can be changed).
The plan was to stop in a few locations and travel as far as Mojacar or even La Manga, whilst at some point spending s afew days in Granada.
We love nature, mountains, the coast, old towns/villages etc. We both also play golf with handicaps of 10 & 15 respectively. We would probably like to have a few games while we are in the area.
There seem to be so many places to visit/stay so we would welcome any advice to help us on our visit.
One concern is that being in the Winter some areas could be too quiet??
Any advice would be welcomed, so thanks in advance for any help provided.
Regards

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Andalucia travel information

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:06 pm

You'll certainly have a lot of choice of places to visit. Granada city is a must, and there's the nearby ski resort of Sierra Nevada that is worth a visit even if you're not into skiing.
Some areas may be quiet being mid-winter, and also due to Covid and the previous lockdowns, some restaurants have shut their doors for good. The winter weather can be hit and miss. it's pot luck really. Last month Granada was the hottest place around at a record 25 degrees, almost twice the usual temperature, but equally it can be cold and miserable even here on the coast. Usually when there is a cold spell, you will still get sunshine, and within your visit you could get a bit of everything.
Places like Cazorla, Ubeda and Baeza are a fair way inland in Jaen region but are very pretty and in full nature. I'm sure others will make lots of suggestions.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Personally i woud base myself around the nerja area first. La herradura is very small maybe quiet in the evening. Im probably biased as i dont like the place at all.(sorry L.H lovers) you have baveria golf and anoretta towards torre del mar and rincon. And the inland white villages such as competa,frigiliana amongst many others are alot nearer aswell.

Definitely visit the alhambra if you havnt already. Also the
Alpujarras villages are very special. baeza and cazorla are beautiful places. You could stay for 3 nights in ubeda and do day trips to the others. Antequera and torcal national park are musts imo. Almeria city is nice for a day trip or over nighter. It has a large alcazar and the drive to it from the west is certainly something you wont forget interms of the plastics. Mojacar pueblo is very pretty and the coast is unspoilt

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:50 pm

I would agree with Elusive and stick around Nerja area to begin with...La herradura is lovely but at this time of year it could be too quiet, perhaps it could be part of a day trip?
The Alpujaras are lovely but out of season it is very quiet, few tourist shops open and not much of an atmosphere, also chilly..just my opinion..Def do Granada, Almeria city and some of the other places mentioned..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 pm

I would recommend a few places that haven’t been mentioned although they are weather reliant. Inland villages like Bubion, Pampaneira and Capileira are nice for walking but cold in winter. The drive from Agua Amarga via Carboneras to Mojacar is lovely and you quite often see whales from the coast road. Also if you stop at Nerja go to Frigiliana, park on the outskirts and do the walk to the lost village of El Acebuchal. A bit of lunch in the bar and walk back. Great way to waste a day. We like La Herradura and Almunecar although they can be quiet in winter. If you like walking the walk from La Cala Del Moral to Malaga city is very nice. Its €1.70 on the bus back from the city to LCDM.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:11 pm

Herradura quiet? On Sunday you could not get a table in any of the restaurants.

You need to get out more!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 am

TBF everywhere is busy on sundays.I have been to L.H and many other places on a sunday to know that. I did say in my post that in the evenings at that time of year it might be too quiet for the O.P

No need for the childish comment because someone has a different opinion about a place than you.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:38 am

elusive wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:23 am TBF everywhere is busy on sundays.I have been to L.H and many other places on a sunday to know that. I did say in my post that in the evenings at that time of year it might be too quiet for the O.P

No need for the childish comment because someone has a different opinion about a place than you.
Sid lives in La Herradura so I guess he is being protective. I have been to LH many times and struggled to park but also stopped for a bite to eat and its been as dead as a dodo. Winter in most villages is a different experience especially once the sun goes down.

slamminhammo
Tourist

Postby slamminhammo » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:41 am

Thank you all for your replies.
A day of research ahead now!!!
BR
Hammo

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:53 pm

OP mentioned La Manga. Apart from good golf courses I would give it a miss. Stay in Nerja area and lots of pretty and interesting inland villages.

nevillewillmott
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nevillewillmott » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:44 pm

I want to travel from Almunecar to Madrid, stay for a 2-3 nights, and return to Almuncar using public transport. As far as possible, I want to use the railway system, which I have heard is excellent.

Googling this out, it looks like bus from Almunecar to Malaga or Almeria, then train to Madrid. Would much appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the trip from the Costa Tropical to Madrid. The info' I need to get started would be 1) route 2) how to pre-book bus and train tickets.

?Que recomendais foristas?

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:58 am

If you fancy a stay at one of the 'pueblo blancos' in the mountains, I can recommend Canillas de Aceituno (I do live there, so am biased :) ) Here's a lovely place to stay https://www.oliveandivy.es/ . If you like hiking, there are some spectacular walks, including to the Saltillo, a suspension bridge between Canillas and Sedella - here's a 3 minute video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruIX_dh88wk

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:09 am

nevillewillmott wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:44 pm I want to travel from Almunecar to Madrid, stay for a 2-3 nights, and return to Almuncar using public transport. As far as possible, I want to use the railway system, which I have heard is excellent.

Googling this out, it looks like bus from Almunecar to Malaga or Almeria, then train to Madrid. Would much appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the trip from the Costa Tropical to Madrid. The info' I need to get started would be 1) route 2) how to pre-book bus and train tickets.

?Que recomendais foristas?
We have made the trip from Velez-Malaga (somewhat further West than Almuñecar but basically the same route) to Málaga by bus and then to Madrid by train many times and it is very easy. The high speed AVE trains are excellent. You should book both your bus and train tickets online. For the bus, use www.alsa.es, and for the train, www. renfe.com. Both websites have the option to change the language to English.

If you happen to be over 60, you can buy a "tarjeta dorada" for the trains (you used to be able to buy them at some travel agents but I think you may now have to buy them at a railway station as you need to present your passport as proof of ID. This gives substantial discounts on fares and you don't need to be a Spanish resident to buy one, but normally the online AVE fares are cheaper than the discounts would be. The tarjeta dorada costs €6. AVE fares vary according to the day and time of travel, with the services which have the highest demand being the most expensive - of course!

https://moneysaverspain.com/travel-by-train-spain/

Enjoy your trip.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:12 am

As for a hotel, Madrid isn't too expensive and we have stayed in a few. One we like is the hotel Europa because of its location right on the Puerta del Sol,
You can book a room overlooking the square, ideal if you are there for a quick stay and if you book direct the give you a basic continental breakfast.

https://www.hoteleuropa.eu/en/?msclkid= ... pa%C3%B1ol

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:21 am

I have found this site useful, all about trains in Spain
https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-spain.htm

I can also highly recommend the Malaga to Madrid AVE route.

nevillewillmott
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nevillewillmott » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:40 am

Many thanks 'Free at Last', 'markwilding' and 'Wicksey' for useful info'. Now in a position to book train and bus tickets and reserve a hotel room.

Am I right in thinking that the AVE train from Malaga arrives at Estacion de Atocha?

Thinking of a day enjoying the glories of the Prado. Not expecting to top that, but what are the other hot tickets in Madrid? Parque del Buen Retiro looks promising.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:09 am

Yes you arrive at Atocha. It's the one with the tropical garden in the entrance hall.

I've been to the Royal Palace twice which I've enjoyed. I went in the late afternoon when tickets were free, but I think that may have been to EU members only. Also some of the galleries were free in the evening and were quieter, but not sure if that is just EU passport holders, or includes Spanish residents. My friend almost lost her purse from her zipped up handbag in the Gran Via to a pick pocket, although it was June and pretty busy when we went (pre-Covid) so you need to take the usual precautions in the city. We went to Retiro as well and had a good walk around the lake and glass house although not sure what will be out in winter time. There was a huge rose garden out in full bloom when we were there.

We also went to a railway museum but can't remember where that was, but we used the metro to get there. The main city sights are all very walkable. When I went first time we were there only a couple of nights but saw a lot in the central area. I stayed a bit longer second time with my friend so we used the Metro more. You had to buy a card and then charge it up with credit from a machine. You'll need to have a look to see if that's still the case if you're going to use it. We found it fairly straightforward and easy to use.

I've found eating out very reasonable there. We're not fans of fine dining though, so we like to try to find the places the locals eat. When I went with my friend we ate at a tiny cafe around the corner from the Prado and had a 10€ menu del dia! She loved it as it felt authentic and was full of everyone from what looked like bank managers to a group of decorators all covered in paint.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:46 pm

As well as the Prado, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum is also well worth visiting, although probably a bit much to do both in one visit as they are both very big. On a first visit you will probably want to see the Royal Palace and La Almudena Cathedral next to it, Plaza Mayor (but don't eat at any of the restaurants there), the Mercado de San Miguel which is close to Plaza Mayor, and walk the full length of Gran Via from the Cibeles Fountain to Plaza de España to see all the impressive buildings along it.

For a less-visited spot, if you like the work of the Spanish artist Joaquin Sorolla, his former home and studio is a lovely small museum in the Chamberi district, there are 3 different metro stations near to it so easy to get there from the centre.
https://www.esmadrid.com/en/tourist-inf ... lla-museum

After our first few visits to Madrid we started booking an extra night there and using the time to visit one of the many places of interest within easy travelling distance of the city by train or bus. So far we've been to Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Aranjuez and Alcalá de Henares (birthplace of Miguel Cervantes). We have enjoyed them all but probably liked Segovia best (has a wonderful Roman aqueduct right in the centre of town and a castle which looks straight out of a Disney film). It's a good way to see more places without making two long trips.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:11 pm

Retiro is a lovely park. We stayed very near to it. Also the palace is a must. Be aware of the pickpockets. Young girls who have probably been trafficked with clip boards asking for signatures and donations. Maybe the police are making an effort after the big bust in madrid not long ago.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:48 am

Telegraph are saying that Spain is easing travel rules for unvaccinated children under 18yrs in half term holiday boost..They can travel with a negative pcr test...Bit late for many families who have already canceled or changed plans and are going elsewhere and a bit late for those Spanish tourism businesses who will lose out..Not to mention those families who will have already gone ahead and booked holidays for Easter/Summer and will have already chosen somewhere else because of the rules which Spain put in place.