Changing face of tourism- timed

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Changing face of tourism- timed

Postby olive » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:35 pm

We are having a few days in Cordoba, in the old town.

Haven’t ever been round the Alcazar so trotted off. Loads milling around the roped off entrance. The process was to go online and select an entrance time. First ones were all singles so we asked the guy controlling the rope if two could go in on one entry. Yes was the reply. We were lucky and only had 32 minutes to kill so had a coffee over the road.

Great experience once in except the towers were closed as a Covid measure.

Anyone else experienced this process for entry to monuments? I know that the Alhambra has had timed tickets for a long time now.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Changing face of tourism- timed

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:04 pm

I think its pretty common now, because of the pandemic although some very busy sites (like the Alhambra, as you say) have been doing it for years. We went to the Palacio de Liria in Madrid in November and entry was only in groups at timed intervals, accompanied by a guide. Also at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence in September, bookings had to be made in advance and we got timed slots. All the museums and galleries were operating the same system.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:16 pm

This was normal pre-pandemic in some places as well. In Amsterdam in 2019 we had to book in advance for the Anne Frank museum and had a time to go in and In London even though it was free entry, there were time controls to go up to the viewing gallery and restaurant in the Walkie Talkie Building around 5 years ago. Also, the Guinness building in Dublin have had times to enter for years

Recently, We also had times to visit the La Sagrada Familia and Poble Espanyol in Barcelona. I would put it down to the fact that pre-booking is much easier now due to the internet and the pandemic has fast forwarded something that was already happening more and more.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:43 pm

Agreed that we live in an online world now.

We have some friends who time their trips everywhere to the minute. Well organised I guess.

We like to just wander with a general idea so if we see something interesting ( like a leather workshop this morning) then we have time. Likewise if our feet are killing us because of the street cobbles then we stop. So not so good for on the spur of the moment “ shall we go in?” Lesson learnt for bigger attractions, we may go to Barcelona later in the year.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:01 pm

I obviously haven't been anywhere much for a few years as I have never had to have a timed ticket. Like you say olive, it's just nice to turn up somewhere and visit an attraction without having to pre-plan it. If we were to go somewhere especially to visit a particular sight then I would always look online first, so I guess then I could book tickets. We don't have data on our phones so couldn't just stand outside and book a ticket online there and then.

I think nowadays places are just so much busier so it makes sense to have timed entries to spread out the visitors. Last time I went to the Alhambra it was pretty deserted and lovely to just wander around by ourselves, but then that was about 22 years ago in the middle of winter! When I think back to visits of the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley in the early 90s where we could drive around freely and it was pretty quiet, whereas now I understand you mainly have to go on shuttle buses. I think travel has really opened up to all countries now and with cheaper flights and cruises, there just seem to be tourists everywhere these days.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:38 pm

I went to cordoba in october. I wouldn't have known about pre booking the alcazar if i hadn't had a quick look on tripadvisor in the days before. No real info on the tourist office website about it been needed only a small ambiguous note on the opening times list. Then actually booking the ticket,well you needed a degree in computer science it was so complicated. Then as per the norm it didn't work and took several attempts to process. The only positive was you only booked online and then paid at the gate.When I got there there was a large queue that disappeared very quickly as it became apparent that 90% of the people had no idea about pre booking. No pre warning by staff at the gate only small info boards as you reached the front.Some tried to book before they reached the end of the queue others just walked away. Lots of complaints on T.A about it.

Very unorganised and seemingly totally unnecessary as 99% of the visit is outside in large gardens that i doubt ever get that busy. I can understand in confined inside spaces but this was jobs worth gone mad.