Huelva province

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Huelva province

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:57 am

Thinking of spending a few nights in Aracena as i havnt seen much of huelva and it looks very nice via google street view! Also a day trip to moguer which looks the same. Any recommendations for any other towns/villages that are a must see in the area. Nothing stands out via google. Also anywhere to stop on the way there from malaga

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Huelva province

Postby olive » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:42 pm

Seems to be a province no one visits! Let us know how you got on and any recommendations.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:17 pm

There used to be a programme on Spanish TV 'Mi Pueblo' or something similar. They were in Castillo de las Guardias and went to the Safari style park there which looked interesting. Although I realise now it is actually Sevilla region, but looking at the map I had wondered if Rio Tinto mines were worth a visit as they weren't too far off. It's an area I had not been to and have also considered staying somewhere between the two attractions and having a tour around. I haven't heard of anyone going to the mines, so presumably from the lack of replies on here, no-one can recommend much about the area.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:31 pm

Nice strawberries there!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm

Yes lots of plastic :mrgreen:
The Rio Tinto area had a really interesting museum but was over 20 years ago.

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:27 pm

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:15 pm

Thanks forgot there us so much info on here.

Cupcake
Tourist

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:42 pm

Hope I’m not too late! Huelva is beautiful, if you like villages with views try Zufre and Alajar, both are fairly close to Aracena.

Cupcake
Tourist

Postby Cupcake » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:44 pm

As for a stop over, a night or two in Seville is the obvious choice...

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 pm

Thanks all for the info and input

Ive been to seville several times so somewhere more out of the way. Somewhere to stop for an hr or two

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:25 pm

Just back from two nights in Aracena. We drove first towards huelva city from seville and stopped first in Niebla for 30 mins or so.Its a small town but has wonderful old city walls and a castle thats just had 700k spent on it! The churches are very medieval. We then drove about 15 mins south west to moguer. We were really impressed with this town. Beautiful churches,monastery and squares,lovely pedestrianised streets and spotlessly clear. Lots of big houses, i guess this town has abit of money? It had a lovely feel to it.

We then drove north to Aracena. Abit of a slog on N roads.But the drive was beautiful.Huelva is incredibly green. I havnt seen so much green grass in a long time. Thats until you come to the rio tinto mine about 30 mins south of Aracena. Wow what a sight. If any of you watched simon reeves in Australia in the huge open cast mines,well its the same. 300 mtrs deep. Pretty amazing to see. The whole mine is huge and you see all the orange landscape for miles.After setting off at 0845 we arrived in Aracena just after 5 so a long day.

I can't recommend Aracena enough its a beautiful town we loved it.Very portuguese as expected.. the caves were amazing. The tour takes about an hr and are not to be missed. They were incredible. The town has numerous squares and churches. So many lovely buildings and the portuguese style cobbled streets.such a pretty place.The main sq is a great photo op.. Also the obligatory treck upto the castle for beautiful views.The only bug bear was that it was impossible to get a meal before 8pm. When you have had a long day sightseeing it was abit late for us even on adjusted Spanish time. The weather was great. Clear blue skies and nice and warm by lunch time. Driving back it was the same until antequera then it turned cold and cloudy. Fires on now!

If you havnt been to huelve province before i would certainly recommend a visit we were really impressed,especially with Aracena.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:01 pm

Excellent report. I have added Huelva to my bucket travel list.

How is the eye problem?
Last edited by olive on Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:31 pm

Thanks for that elusive. It's somewhere we have looked at but you never seem to hear anything about it. We would usually stop for a good lunch on the way then no need to wait for opening time in the evening. You must have been famished after that drive!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:45 pm

Luckily we had something to eat in Niebla.the only place open and that was around 1pm!

Yeah i agree. I only saw aracena when looking around on google maps. Google brought up more info but i guess because its abit out of the way it gets forgotten about by foreign tourists. They should definitely promote themselves more. Although the caves are very popular and were pretty much booked up the weekend before. So i think its more of a destination for spanish tourists as theres a good amount of restaurants and tourists shops full of the famous iberico ham that comes from the area.we bought a cheepish packs and i have to say its very good!We saw very few foreign plated cars and campervans although we heard the obligatory brits chatting in the castle.

The drive via the N433 is alot quicker than the way we went so its not to far and a nice drive. The countryside is beautiful.

The eyes alot better thanks olive. Havnt had to peel my eye lids apart this morning and its alot less irritated now.