Car Hire recommendations

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ashtondav
Resident

Re: Car Hire recommendations

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:29 pm

Recommending cargest as a decent budget choice after our latest trip. The car, a spanking new seat arona FR was superb even though I’d ordered a basic fiat 500. It even had intelligent cruise control where it would slow you down if too near the car in front and take you back up to speed when you went in the outside lane.

Ok we had the usual pressure sell for insurance but after I declined all went well. Very quick and easy return with no quibbles about any dents or scratches ( which I’d already photographed). We hired through broker doyouspain.com and ignored the cheapest option (Delgado) as they have so many nightmare reviews.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 pm

i wouldn’t have expected any dents to photograph on a brand spanking new car as you describe.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:51 pm

Been using cargest for the past 4yrs and always been happy with the cars..However i wouldn't exactly call them budget any more, their rates have rocketed just like all the rest.The one thing that did bug me was calling them to tell them we had arrived and no one picking up the phone, very annoying.Once we had to get a taxi to their garage.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:25 pm

costakid wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 pm i wouldn’t have expected any dents to photograph on a brand spanking new car as you describe.
It's Spain. As soon as they drive out the garage they dent the sh&t out of them!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:29 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:51 pm Been using cargest for the past 4yrs and always been happy with the cars..However i wouldn't exactly call them budget any more, their rates have rocketed just like all the rest.The one thing that did bug me was calling them to tell them we had arrived and no one picking up the phone, very annoying.Once we had to get a taxi to their garage.
2nd cheapest, and yes rates have rocketed, but they slowly coming down. This was €175 for 25 days. I think thats "budget" at todays rates!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:04 pm

Very good rates ashtondav, a bargin at todays rates.I couldn't get anything from them this summer for less thsn £800 for 26 days.Didn't book, decided to wait it out a bit longer in the hope it might come down.If not i think i could half those rates just using taxis.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:31 pm

I booked a group C car with Malagacar.com in January for 21 days in June, cost was €940 ! I rebooked it this week (cancelling the January booking) for €420.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:31 pm

Yep looks like €20 a day is the minimum for summer. I now ferry across for stays longer than 4 weeeks

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:37 pm

ashtondav wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:31 pm Yep looks like €20 a day is the minimum for summer. I now ferry across for stays longer than 4 weeeks
I'm now at €19.60 a day for three weeks in June. So €412 for 21 days. This is the third time I've made the booking and it started at late nine hundreds, so this is a result.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:18 pm

Looks like some good deals. I’m on 28 days with Malaga car right now and it was €680. I just do the premium nowadays but they were the cheapest of the ones I trust and I cancelled a higher priced booking. However I got an older basic Ibiza with useless wipers and the ac needs recharged, so not really happy.

A friend was quoted £550 for a golf for five days with Avis!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:27 pm

Same high prices in the UK. Quotes of 450 pounds upwards per week from Stansted for next month for a 'reputable' car hire company. Luckily I have a friend who is lending me her car, but everywhere seems to be very expensive now. Canaries were 3x what we usually pay last November. I wonder if things will improve with time as tourists numbers start to get a little back to normal levels?

Èire agus bròdùil.

Postby Èire agus bròdùil. » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:08 pm

Wicksey wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:27 pm Same high prices in the UK. Quotes of 450 pounds upwards per week from Stansted for next month for a 'reputable' car hire company. Luckily I have a friend who is lending me her car, but everywhere seems to be very expensive now. Canaries were 3x what we usually pay last November. I wonder if things will improve with time as tourists numbers start to get a little back to normal levels?

£450for a week ? Sister in law in from N.Z last week. Quoted from Dublin Airport Ford Fiesta 4 days 1800€
Now that's what I call high price. Same out of Malaga would have been 160€.

I have just booked through hirecarsinspain.com Ford Fiesta 29 days June without the super insurance but with half full to half full, free extra driver free road side assistance and unlimited mileage with malagacar.com €542
Irish by birth Dublin by the grace of God.
The older I get the better I was.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:40 am

Èire agus bròdùil. wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:08 pm
Wicksey wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:27 pm Same high prices in the UK. Quotes of 450 pounds upwards per week from Stansted for next month for a 'reputable' car hire company. Luckily I have a friend who is lending me her car, but everywhere seems to be very expensive now. Canaries were 3x what we usually pay last November. I wonder if things will improve with time as tourists numbers start to get a little back to normal levels?

£450for a week ? Sister in law in from N.Z last week. Quoted from Dublin Airport Ford Fiesta 4 days 1800€
Now that's what I call high price. Same out of Malaga would have been 160€.

I have just booked through hirecarsinspain.com Ford Fiesta 29 days June without the super insurance but with half full to half full, free extra driver free road side assistance and unlimited mileage with malagacar.com €542
It always used to be around 125 pounds, so almost 4x what it was before, so relatively expensive in comparison. I did wonder about hiring for less days but 4 days was 770 pounds .... go figure :lol:

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:45 am

There is actually very good public transport in Spain... i do not use that often and prefer to use more...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:47 am

Not the case for me in the UK unfortunately. If I was just staying in a city then I would not consider hiring a car. Trips to Madrid etc do not require one, but I stay out in the sticks in the UK, just as I live in the campo here, so need a car.