Travel insurance

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
ashtondav
Resident

Travel insurance

Postby ashtondav » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:34 pm

Having turned 67, wife 68, shocked at travel insurance. But I found Barclays travel plus pack. £18 a month for worldwide travel including winter sports and cruises, European RAC breakdown insurance AND airport lounge access 6 times a year. Now I value a lounge at £10 each and we use at least 6 a year so that’s £120. Say £30 for euro breakdown and that’s about £70 for the travel insurance. Worth opening a Barclays account and applying. IMHO!!.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Travel insurance

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:59 pm

That sounds a good deal but I guess there won't be many of us expats that can open a Barclays account. There used to be a branch in Nerja but presumably they don't have a presence here now?

Benal Pirate
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Benal Pirate » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 pm

I've a similar account with NatWest. £20/mth with £5 cash back each month. It doesn't have lounge access , but includes mobile insurance cover. Max stay is 31 days though but I can pay more to increase to 48 days and extra is required to cover pre existing conditions. The lounge access sounds good though with Barclays. Can you pre-book lounge access with Barclays? Sometimes the lounges get full and access can be denied with these kind of arrangements.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:59 pm That sounds a good deal but I guess there won't be many of us expats that can open a Barclays account. There used to be a branch in Nerja but presumably they don't have a presence here now?
They aren't many branches open in UK now. Next village Natwest closed but am also in Barclays. Now Barclays closed.
Insurance getting more expensive seems to go in age section whopping increase at 70. Then pre existing conditions can be a minefield. last year after much pricing I got ours through Post Office Travel saved about £200 on worldwide cover.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:33 pm

I'm not sure a non-UK resident would get it either. We can no longer get the usual excess car hire insurance now that Brexit has taken place, although I still have found a company that does my landlord insurance for expats, but I think the choice is more limited.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:39 pm

Have a Cousin living in France and they got Landlord insurance for UK properties.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:49 pm

We use morethan for landlord insurance. Used them pre brexit so whether they will take on new clients i don't know

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:17 pm

Benal Pirate wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:59 pm I've a similar account with NatWest. £20/mth with £5 cash back each month. It doesn't have lounge access , but includes mobile insurance cover. Max stay is 31 days though but I can pay more to increase to 48 days and extra is required to cover pre existing conditions. The lounge access sounds good though with Barclays. Can you pre-book lounge access with Barclays? Sometimes the lounges get full and access can be denied with these kind of arrangements.
Yes you can pre book from the app, which they recommend. You can pay extra for over 30 day trip. As for Barclays in Spain they sold the operation to Santander.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Read yesterday that barclays is stopping its cash back scheme.

Sampson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Sampson » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:19 am

The Blue Awards scheme by Barclays is now simply a money swap, so a bit pointless.

But their Travel Policy is a cracking deal. I believe it's available to age 80.