Entry into Spain from UK

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Entry into Spain from UK

Postby elusive » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:49 am

elizabennett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm We have relatives with UK passports going to stay at our place for two weeks' holiday. They said they need proof of address. We are not renting the apartment - they are staying as guests. Does anyone know of a procedure for proof of address?
The rules have been in place since jan 2021 when the transition period ended. Ive read of a handful of cases of people being asked but tbh you have more chance of winning the lotto than being stopped. The carta.. is normally asked of people who need a visa to enter the EU. So dont worry about it

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:25 am

elusive wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:49 am
elizabennett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm We have relatives with UK passports going to stay at our place for two weeks' holiday. They said they need proof of address. We are not renting the apartment - they are staying as guests. Does anyone know of a procedure for proof of address?
The rules have been in place since jan 2021 when the transition period ended. Ive read of a handful of cases of people being asked but tbh you have more chance of winning the lotto than being stopped. The carta.. is normally asked of people who need a visa to enter the EU. So dont worry about it
I haven’t heard of any, not in Spain or any other EU member state.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:04 pm

That’s because they are not interested in tourists but Spain has the right to stop people whose intention is to live and work under the radar.
It’s no different when you enter the UK, especially if as I do, you enter through a London airport. There are always hundreds of tourists. However, hardly anyone gets stopped but there must be some control and a small percentage must be being checked.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:09 pm

Have heard that not having a return flight booked is a red flag.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:25 am

katy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:09 pm Have heard that not having a return flight booked is a red flag.
Katy, Thats a load of Boll===s

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:31 pm

Katy may have a point if it truly does go back to ancient times, don't know about Spain but only the other way around...OTH flew into London before FOM on a one way ticket, ( he intended to return to Spain within 3 months but didn't have a fixed date) he was stopped by border guards who took him into a room and questioned him, they wanted to know why he didn't have a return ticket.Once they allowed him to go on his way they told him to report to the local police station in the area where he was staying.The police gave him a green registration card and stipulated that he inform them whenever he left the area, even if it was just for the day...Don't know if that happens now but that is how it was..

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:01 pm

Well, for me the biggest pain is having to take a covid test to come back to Spain after a 4 day visit in UK. So bloody stupid and I really can't see why they're keeping it going in the face of all the latest data.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:52 pm

fyfin wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:01 pm Well, for me the biggest pain is having to take a covid test to come back to Spain after a 4 day visit in UK. So bloody stupid and I really can't see why they're keeping it going in the face of all the latest data.
I agree fyfin. Spain must be one of the last European countries to have this rule, even France has dropped it.

I know entering the USA they have always been really strict at immigration, particularly if you don't have have a return ticket. Whether the EU will be that bothered about Brits arriving, I don't know.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:52 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:31 pm Katy may have a point if it truly does go back to ancient times, don't know about Spain but only the other way around...OTH flew into London before FOM on a one way ticket, ( he intended to return to Spain within 3 months but didn't have a fixed date) he was stopped by border guards who took him into a room and questioned him, they wanted to know why he didn't have a return ticket.Once they allowed him to go on his way they told him to report to the local police station in the area where he was staying.The police gave him a green registration card and stipulated that he inform them whenever he left the area, even if it was just for the day...Don't know if that happens now but that is how it was..
The rule has always existed. It has only become relevant to us on this forum because our status has changed with the EU.