Travel to Cadiz from Faro

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Banya
Tourist

Travel to Cadiz from Faro

Postby Banya » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:07 pm

I want to get to Cadiz from Faro in May this year. I have found bus info but would appreciate any tips. I don’t want to stay in Seville. Is it possible to get from Faro to Cadiz in a day? Is bus or train best? Is there anywhere recommended to stay enroute?
Any suggestions about accommodation/areas to stay in Cadiz? Thank you

Cádiz
Resident

Re: Travel to Cadiz from Faro

Postby Cádiz » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Banya wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:07 pm I want to get to Cadiz from Faro in May this year. I have found bus info but would appreciate any tips. I don’t want to stay in Seville. Is it possible to get from Faro to Cadiz in a day? Is bus or train best? Is there anywhere recommended to stay enroute?
Any suggestions about accommodation/areas to stay in Cadiz? Thank you
Getting from Cadiz to Sevilla easy... I did what you want to do and will come back when i remember more... great day out if traveling solo... a-b bus... b-c bus... c-d 10 min walk boat...d-e 10 min walk train to faro... would that suit you...

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:10 pm

Hola
Cadiz to Sevilla, change bus stations to get Sevilla to Ayamonte, cross the river on the ferry Ayamonte to VRSA and then train to Faro

Sorry, just realised I put in the wrong direction so,

From Faro use the train to VRSA station, short walk to ferry across to Ayamonte then taxi or walk to bus station in Ayamonte which goes to Seville. However you need the other bus station to get the bus to Cadiz so about seven euros taxi ride

Davexf
Last edited by dxf on Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:05 pm

The route i took as fallows but opposite direction... assuming arrive Sevilla by train get bus to Plaza de Armas station...from there to Huelva/Ayamonte... (tip when looking up tickets check both towns and options) some buses are slower and i do not think a direct bus.
Ferry Ayamonte-Monto Gorto... train to Faro... Just work backwards...

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:05 pm The route i took as fallows but opposite direction... assuming arrive Sevilla by train get bus to Plaza de Armas station...from there to Huelva/Ayamonte... (tip when looking up tickets check both towns and options) some buses are slower and i do not think a direct bus.
That’s helpful and looks like an interesting journey, thank you

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:42 pm

dxf wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:10 pm Hola
Cadiz to Sevilla, change bus stations to get Sevilla to Ayamonte, cross the river on the ferry Ayamonte to VRSA and then train to Faro

Sorry, just realised I put in the wrong direction so,

From Faro use the train to VRSA station, short walk to ferry across to Ayamonte then taxi or walk to bus station in Ayamonte which goes to Seville. However you need the other bus station to get the bus to Cadiz so about seven euros taxi ride

Davexf
Many thanks Davexf, I didn’t know about the ferry. I’m guessing it’s a city ferry crossing the river, is that right?

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm

There is also an Alsa bus service direct from Faro to Sevilla (it is the Lagos-Sevilla service). Between Faro and Sevilla there is only one stop, in Huelva. Then train from Sevilla to Cádiz.

https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_p_id=Pur ... Passenger=

I don't know what kind of accommodation you are looking for, but when we visited Cádiz we stayed here and it was very nice, right in the historic centre but on a small pedestrianised side street so quiet.

https://www.hotelargantonio.com/en/index.php

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:05 pm

We also stayed in that hotel.
Nice staff and an interesting building.
Nice and convenient for exploring Cadiz on foot.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:21 am

Banya wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm
Cádiz wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:05 pm The route i took as fallows but opposite direction... assuming arrive Sevilla by train get bus to Plaza de Armas station...from there to Huelva/Ayamonte... (tip when looking up tickets check both towns and options) some buses are slower and i do not think a direct bus.
I remembered after looking at other posts the tricky bit... You cannot see a direct route on-line from Seville to Ayamomnte. The route is take the Faro bus to Huelva and change bus to continue to Ayamonte... It seems the buses are set-up to just walk from one bus to the other....

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:20 pm

Cádiz wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:21 am
Banya wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:40 pm
I remembered after looking at other posts the tricky bit... You cannot see a direct route on-line from Seville to Ayamomnte. The route is take the Faro bus to Huelva and change bus to continue to Ayamonte... It seems the buses are set-up to just walk from one bus to the other....
Thanks Cadiz

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 pm

gerryh wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:05 pm We also stayed in that hotel.
Nice staff and an interesting building.
Nice and convenient for exploring Cadiz on foot.
Cheers
Gerry
Thanks Gerry, Cadiz is new to me so looking forward to exploring it

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:25 pm

Free at Last wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm There is also an Alsa bus service direct from Faro to Sevilla (it is the Lagos-Sevilla service). Between Faro and Sevilla there is only one stop, in Huelva. Then train from Sevilla to Cádiz.

I don't know what kind of accommodation you are looking for, but when we visited Cádiz we stayed here and it was very nice, right in the historic centre but on a small pedestrianised side street so quiet.

Thanks Free at last. The bus looks more straightforward, I’m keen to not stop over in Seville and as I only have a week I might try bus one way and the other journey recommended to return to Faro. Thanks for the hotel tip too.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:35 pm

Banya wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:25 pm
Free at Last wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:52 pm There is also an Alsa bus service direct from Faro to Sevilla (it is the Lagos-Sevilla service). Between Faro and Sevilla there is only one stop, in Huelva. Then train from Sevilla to Cádiz.

Thanks Free at last. The bus looks more straightforward, I’m keen to not stop over in Seville and as I only have a week I might try bus one way and the other journey recommended to return to Faro. Thanks for the hotel tip too.
Don't waste your time... a round trip faro/sevilla/faro on public transport in one day non runner...

Banya
Tourist

Postby Banya » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 am

Update for anyone wanting to travel from eastern Algarve to Cadiz. We were leaving from Olhao and the best bus connections (Alsa) were from either Faro or Tavira. Train connections were unreliable due to strikes so if you don’t have flexibility on date of travel take the bus. It is a long journey which I didn’t take in the end but I did discover how easy it is to get from Olhao to Ayamonte, regular affordable ferry and easy to walk from train station at VRSA to ferry terminal .