Favorite destinations that's not a famous tourist attraction

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Noah04
Tourist

Favorite destinations that's not a famous tourist attraction

Postby Noah04 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:53 am

Planning to visit Andalucia in a couple of months and thought I would like to know about your favorite destinations to hangout, which are not displayed in the Google recommendation section or is not a famous attraction/landmark.
Help me connect with the place.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Favorite destinations that's not a famous tourist attraction

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:56 am

Malaga city and the eastern Costa del Sol.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm

there was a book written about the area east of Malaga which you might find interesting 'La Axarquia, a guide to the history and traditions of the region' ... a bit expensive but available on amazon.co.uk or amazon.es

https://www.amazon.es/Axarquia-History- ... 138&sr=1-1

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:08 pm

Thats z great question.Which areas are you planning to visit as its a big place. It will help with suggestions

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:22 am

@elusive Haven't yet finalized everything. The trip is under process. But my wish list definitely has Córdoba, Ronda, Málaga, the Alpujarras, and the white villages.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:08 am

'white villages' may have turned orange/brown from the calima!!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:43 pm

I delayed visiting Ronda for years because I thought it would mean going up winding roads which my wife hates. But it turned out that the road from Malaga is fine. Well worth a visit.

I have never been but many friends say Huelva is nice.

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:48 am

gavilan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:08 am 'white villages' may have turned orange/brown from the calima!!!
Wow... This was totally a new information to me.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:09 am

Theres lots of lovely places on the road from malaga to cordoba. Cabra, lucena and zuheros as a day trip. Zuheros is on the list of one of the most prettiest villages in andalucia but its not hugely known imo. Its only small but pretty stunning especially if you drive up to the mirador behind the town. Theres also priego de cordoba which is lovely if you go when all the flowers are out in the streets and going across to granada there's montefrio. Famous for its view of the town from the national geographical mirador.Antequera aswell. More known than it used to be. If you go to ronda theres olvera and setenil with its amazong rock/cave houses. Also zahara de la sierra. A lovely white washed village looking over the reservoir. Most of the places ive been to are known to some extent. Some more than others. Nice places become tourist attractions. Iznajar is lovely aswell. Abit of a drive or it feels like that.

Going towards seville theres estepa,osuna, and ecija and carmona. Carmonas pretty well known but the others maybe not as much so to non spanish?
Last edited by elusive on Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:16 am

Our last trip was to aracena in huelva province. With stops in moguer and niebla. And passing through the rio tinto mine (quite a sight) i can highly recommend that area. Very pretty and aracena is very portuguese. Not somewhere thats on the main tourist routes as huelva is abit out there. But well worth the drive

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Noah04 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:22 am @elusive Haven't yet finalized everything. The trip is under process. But my wish list definitely has Córdoba, Ronda, Málaga, the Alpujarras, and the white villages.
Geographically these places are all classed as western costa del sol, east, by definition, would be east of Malaga, :think:

A couple of years ago I spent 5 months in Torrox, a village east of Malaga, very nice and relaxed but you definitely need transport, the downside is that it's populated by a number of British expats of the type who don't want to know you unless you've been formally introduced and in the main will ignore you ! so you will need a decent level of Spanish, on the plus side it's a very peaceful and beautiful location, but I stress you will need a car !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 am

Manchesteral wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm
Noah04 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:22 am @elusive Haven't yet finalized everything. The trip is under process. But my wish list definitely has Córdoba, Ronda, Málaga, the Alpujarras, and the white villages.
Geographically these places are all classed as western costa del sol, east, by definition, would be east of Malaga, :think:

A couple of years ago I spent 5 months in Torrox, a village east of Malaga, very nice and relaxed but you definitely need transport, the downside is that it's populated by a number of British expats of the type who don't want to know you unless you've been formally introduced and in the main will ignore you ! so you will need a decent level of Spanish, on the plus side it's a very peaceful and beautiful location, but I stress you will need a car !
Not all of us British here in Torrox are like that. It's just that I am not one of those Brits that are always in the plaza, and in fact, met friends there the other day for a drink which must be the first time in 10 years we've done that. We usually go to the Costa where there's a good range of places to eat, although it's not very pretty.

Torrox pueblo is also very brown from the calima too, apart from odd bright white houses that has had a clean up.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:22 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 am
Manchesteral wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Not all of us British here in Torrox are like that. It's just that I am not one of those Brits that are always in the plaza, and in fact, met friends there the other day for a drink which must be the first time in 10 years we've done that. We usually go to the Costa where there's a good range of places to eat, although it's not very pretty.

Torrox pueblo is also very brown from the calima too, apart from odd bright white houses that has had a clean up.
Yes, of course I was generalising and meant no offence to you personally.

I live alone and consequently spend a lot of time outside my home, I would normally spend (in Torrox) from 5 pm in the afternoon to around 7.30 pm in the evening having a couple of drinks in Antonio's and occasionally the wannabee posh place La Casa where they would often treat me in a very offhand way ! I went there because the food was good ! I recall one week when I went to the plaza every afternoon and found the same people there who neither acknowledged me invited me to join them but gave me surly looks.

I'm not a particularly "entitled" individual but I find it strange that seeing the same person in the same place on many occasions one would at least offer a nod of recognition, in the end I gave up and went back to Gran Canaria !

Having said that I still have good opinion of Torrox as a place to visit !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:48 pm

People can be cliquey, I know. Most of our friends are neighbours up here in the campo or people I have met through social clubs. (The one time I have been on a cruise, we sat with different people for lunch and breakfast, and some were so friendly and chatty, that in a short time we really hit it off, whilst others were dour and sour faced and would speak hardly at all, so I guess those that frequent the bars in the plaza are the latter type!)

Maro is very pretty and to me seems to be unspoilt, being next to the larger and more touristy Nerja. I like the coastline beyond that, into Granada as the mountains have not been developed like most of the Costa del Sol and the towns are less touristy.

Noah04
Tourist

Postby Noah04 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:37 am

From comments, I am getting that Malaga is a pretty big place than I expected. It has too many spots to visit. Approx how many days will it require to cover just the main tourist destinations of Malaga?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:32 am

Heck it depends on what you are looking for as andalucia is very diverse. Most people who like their culture tend to start with visting seville.cordoba and granada (alhambra) for ex 3 nights in seville,2 in cordoba and at least 2 in granada. You could then add in some inland white villages and then down to the coast

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:22 pm

DannyB
Tourist

Postby DannyB » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:01 pm

I would certainly recommend spending some serious time in Malaga city , it really is great. Antequera has been mentioned in passing , it is a lovely historical city, very interesting but not coach party touristy like Ronda and Cordoba. Have a meal at Arte de Cozina for a change from repetitious menus.
If visiting Ronda by car use the A 6300 to the south of the town, parking is free and access to the old town is much quicker than following the signs