Museo Gordon,Salar,Granada Province.

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Museo Gordon,Salar,Granada Province.

Postby BENIDORM » Tue May 10, 2022 2:33 pm

Museo Gordon
Calle La Parata,1
Salar,18310.
Easy to find less than 5 minutes from the A92 autovia, Granada-Seville route.
Just outside Loja.
The Museum is available for viewing most days by appointment only.
Whatsapp: 34 650 35 95 57-message preferred.
or by [email protected].

World Social History exhibits including Fashion through the ages, Needlework including Georgian-Victorian lace items. Wars of the 20th Century, many artefacts. Roman and other eras, fossils, and pre-historic stone implements.
PLUS..Much More.
This is a Private Museum, Free Entry..
Are aim is to try to make history an interesting subject for everyone.

Facebook page available at Museo Gordon,Salar,Spain..

We offer a wheelchair friendly museum, plenty of space, direct access from the street via one small step.
Plenty of seats available- no stress just come and relax at our little oasis of history.
Toilet facilities available.

Many other interesting places to visit in our area, if you require information, please ask, also look at The Andalucia.com information site.
Saludos,
Gordon and Pauline .

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Museo Gordon,Salar,Granada Province.

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 am

Due to popular demand... :D

The Museum will have two Open Days this week...

Thursday 26th May and Sunday 29th May.

Opening hours.....10am - 2pm then 5pm to 9pm, both days...

So 2 days No appointments necessary, other days as normal please arrange a mutual time to visit...

Thank you all for your support..
Saludos,
Museo Gordon.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:57 pm

Well, 6 months since I first opened the doors to my little museum.
I did close for a few weeks during the hottest weeks, although still had some visitors, but took advantage of the time to extend the Museum, now nearly twice as big and with many more exhibits.
I was just totting up my visitors notes and realised that we've had over 1000 visits, strangely 75% visitors not locals, someone told me a few weeks ago that many of the locals don't like anything new, however over the last week I've booked in 3 local groups.
My biggest number in 1 visit is 33 people plus 2 dogs, bit of a handful for me on my own, but I survived.. :)
So what's new ?...Well plenty more Militaria, vintage and antique clothing and a collection of antique wine and beer bottles.etc.,etc.
Now you might think , how boring, old bottles ?
But they really are interesting , dating from early Victorian to the 1930's, mainly from France and Germany, different colours and sizes, different methods of production ,from hand/ mouth blown to moulded, some with names , great to research.
And do you know, that every item in the museum has a story to tell, with a little knowledge and some imagination you can soon begin to time travel.
So now I'm just in the middle of sorting some military buttons, from Napolionic to present times, really fascinating.
I'm also working on phase 3 ,which is a small patio garden at the rear of the museum , hopefully lots of plants and rustic exhibits, but I really could use more things like farming implements ,rustic kitchen items etc., if anyone has anything to donate or I'm happy to purchase..

The Opening hours are now 12.00 - 14.30 hours Wednesday, Thursday, Friday ,Saturday and Sunday, no appointment necessary, other times available by appointment.
If travelling a distance please telephone 650-359-557 to make sure that I've not decided to have a 'day off'..what's that ?
Hope to see you all soon,
Saludos,
Gordon
Last edited by BENIDORM on Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:23 pm

I'd love to visit, but sadly, I don't think I will be coming to Spain again for a very long while :-(
Keep up the good work though :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:54 am

What a success story.

We will make a repeat visit in the cooler months but before one way traffic systems, timed tickets and so on are introduced.

Although Loja/ Salar are well served by the nearby motorway network, if you have time and are coming up from the coast, I would recommend a circular route. Up through the Axarquia, through Zafarraya ( allegedly the poorest town in Spain) and return via the Montes de Malaga route ( starts on the outskirts of Loja going Venta del Rayo direction) . Both offer spectacular scenery and changing agricultural landscapes.

With my tourism info hat still on, Loja is also the site of the very first bottled water in the whole of Spain. It was supplied to the king. The source is a bit run down but approval has been given to restore and put it on the tourist trail. It already has a new track to it.

If you need a hotel, El Mirador Abades has just been Completely and comprehensively reformed and has great views over the town.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 am

Chrissie,
I do hope that at some point you will be able to visit, but during the next few months I will be showing more views and information for anyone who is unable to attend the museum.
I've even had a request from Canada asking if it would be possible to show more photos etc.,so work in progress !
Saludos,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:15 am

Olive,
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the museum.

And thank you for the great information about other 'attractions' in the Loja area, certainly for anyone visiting from a distance worth staying at least overnight ,so much to offer to visitors to this inland location, certainly different from many coastal locations...Real Spain...
Saludos,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:51 am

I've been asked if I could give a few details of some of the exhibits on view in the museum, so I will start with one of our antique clothing displays, which is the most popular to our Spanish visitors.

We have a small selection of clothing items reputedly having belonged to the famous Bronte family ( Victorian writers-Wuthering Heights etc. ).
I had an antique and vintage clothing warehouse in the early 1980's, supplying to the antiques trade and theatrical department ,TV companies, film makers, serious collectors etc.
One day a very elderly lady appeared at my office with a battered old suitcase, ''I have some things for you ''she said and went on to tell me the story about the clothing.
Apparently her grandmother had worked as a maid at the lodging house in Scarborough where the Bronte family were regular visitors and the same place where Anne Bronte had died in 1849.
It was common practice then for any unwanted clothing etc., to be distributed amongst the maids,and her grandmother had helped Anne a lot while she was ill.
On display are two dresses , one heavy with beautiful lace in a turquoise silk twill and another dress, pink with light lace trimming ,also a whale bone corset, all the items are in quite fragile condition.
We have no written provenance regarding the authenticity, only the story told by the old lady, but very believable because she refused any payment for them, she just considered that we would look after them and she didn't want her family to have them.
We've kept them in good storage conditions and kept our word that we wouldn't sell them, so now getting on for 40 years in our possession and until recently only shown to very close friends.
Strangely ,as I mentioned earlier ,they have been more popular with Spanish people than with British visitors, including several small groups interested in classic literature and others in needlework.
When I first acquired them there was a very fragile label pinned to one of the dresses, it just read 'Bronte family', unfortunately the paper disintegrated soon after.
So if anyone is interested I will add a few more discriptions of some of the exhibits.
Saludos,
Museo Gordon

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:25 pm

Wow, that's fascinating ! I'm staggered that you managed to keep those clothes so well for all those years - well done :-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:32 pm

Thank you Chrissie.

Yes it's quite difficult keeping vintage and antique clothing in good order and of course the antique clothing is all made from natural fibres, cotton, silk, wool etc. , so a big problem keeping moths away.
We've always stored the fragile items in air tight plastic boxes, each item wrapped in acid free tissue paper and each box has a bar of soap inside, we use Dove, loose and we also cut the soap packet cardboard and place them inside the garments, keeps the clothing fresh and deters creepy crawlies.
Actually everyone can preserve and keep fresh their clothing by using the above method..

I'm just in the process of preserving 2 gas masks and a steel helmet, I believe that they could have been issued to the Spanish government during the 1930's-40's by the German Nazi regime.
Many items from the infamous 'Condor Legion' were passed on during the Spanish Civil War and some German style helmets were actually produced in Spain and were still in use up to the 1970's.
The Condor Legion were responsible for the bombing of the small town Guernica in Northern Spain, immortalised by Picasso in his famous painting , 'Guernica'.
Sorry I'm getting carried away with a history lesson again... :oops:
Saludos,
Gordon the Geek...

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:21 am

We have continued to be busy at the museum but it can be all or nothing at times.
Some days really quiet like the other day, then 45 people in an hour, not booked just took a chance that we would be open, no problem ,I was a boy scout so I'm always prepared :D .

I've added many more exhibits and try hard to add a very eclectic mix so that hopefully there is something of interest for everyone.

The Villa Romana excavations continue to attract many visitors and for anyone who hasn't visited I would really recommend it, booking online is important.

And for anyone interested I wrote an alternative theory about the demise of the Villa Romana, just a bit of fun, it's quite a long story so it's in 3 parts on the Salar ( Granada ) Facebook page, written under my own name..Gordon Holme.., if you want to read the 3 episodes click on my photo on the Salar page..It's in English..by the way..
Saludos,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:44 am

The Museum will be open on Friday 6th January, 10.00 hours to 20.00 , open day ,no appointment necessary.
The Museo Gordon is situated at La Parata 1, Salar, Granada Province 18310.

Entry is Free and we are wheelchair friendly ( ground floor ) and have toilet facilities.

The theme of the museum is social history from pre-history to the mid 20th century, something for everyone !!

New exhibits are added weekly..

The museum can be visited most days and times by appointment.

We look forward to greeting you at Museo Gordon.
Saludos,
Gordon.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm

My open day at the Museum proved very successful, 124 visitors, all Spanish , all ages and walks of life, really hard work on my own , but I loved every minute.

I know that everyone doesn't share my enthusiasm for history and antiques but all of my visitors seemed really interested and asked a lot of questions and I tried my best to give them a colourful story about each exhibit.
Saludos,
Gordon...the knackered old museum curator. :wave:

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:32 pm

Gordon,
Congrats on your successful open day.
When you have the next - Do list on the events section in this forum as it has not be used for a while.
This section is also open to all members who are hosting an event or simply wish to promote an event on behalf of their community or if they think it would be of interest to members. The listed event may be commercial.
Forum Admin.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:50 am

Thank you. :thumbup:

I'd forgotten about the events section and yes it's a good idea to promote local events which rarely get any coverage other than local.
For instance the local 'Horse Fair 'held annually in Salar, a fantastic weekend of events and although very busy I rarely see many 'Foreigners' and really it is worth a day out even from the coast.
And I would like to visit other town's events so hopefully other members will start to put details on the 'events section '.
Saludos,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed May 10, 2023 1:04 pm

Just a short update for anyone interested .....

We've continued to be busy since Christmas although some days no visitors, then a bus load of mainly Spanish visitors, very noisy , but lovely people !
I've had to stick to my appointments only method although I do arrange regular 'open days', last week we were open for the 'Day of the Cross' celebrations and had about 100 visitors during the day.
I did join in with a display for the 'Day of the Cross', worked out quite well and we received 24 beers and some chorizo from the Mayor..a nice and welcome surprise.
I run the museum on my own and sometimes it can be quite demanding, however I really enjoy every moment.
The theme of the museum is social history from all over the world and from many time eras, and I really enjoy being able to display quite ordinary items , but everything has a story to tell.!

I also learn something new every day from the visitors, ordinary folk and sometimes the real intellectual boffins, recently a Scandinavian visitor told me that a metal bowl with a stylised reindeer handle that I have on display was identical to one his Grandparents had many years ago and it was used only at Christmas family gatherings, he got quite emotional as he described the event.

And last week a nice Spanish lady gave me a simple wooden box, formerly owned by her Grandfather , he kept the cutlery in it and only used it for special occasions, it's a very much scratch built box , but so much history and character attached to it.
I actually identified it as a candle box, probably well over 100 years old, no real intrinsic value but priceless for social history.

So please do come and visit the museum when you have time..
Saludos,
Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun May 21, 2023 11:30 am

This week at the museum we had probably our busiest day since it opened,
2 bus loads from the nearby city of Loja , a small bus from Malaga and another small bus with Scandinavian holidaymakers. ( 125 visitors in total ).plus numerous locals who like to see what's going on..
All went well phew..... :crazy:

The Roman villa now has improved parking facilities and the site is growing, still important to book in advance though.
More visitors walking around our village, plenty to see and numerous bars to visit for free tapas, even the political bars welcome visitors ( Bar PSOE and The Bar Communista )...both great tapas and very reasonable prices..
Why not have a day out, we would love to meet and greet you...
Saludos,
Gordon

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Testing

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:04 am

UPDATE....

The Museum is now open most days from 12 noon until 2pm ,without appointment, other times possible ,please make contact..
We are constantly adding more exhibits to the museum and we also now have our little patio garden open for visitors.
Please ring 650-359-557 if travelling any distance, to confirm that we are open....

Our local Town Hall have kindly added museum direction signs now throughout the village.....Wow..Fame at Last...

We will be very grateful for any donations of items for exhibits and condition doesn't matter, I clean and restore.....Anything up to the 1980's including clothing ( civilian and uniforms etc.), kitchen and garden and in fact anything interesting....Many Thanks...
Saludos,
Museo de Gordon

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:26 pm

A Quick Update...

The museum will be open for viewing most days without appointment from 12.00 -14.00 hours.
If travelling any distance please confirm by ringing 650-359-557 ( museum phone ) whatsapp message or telephone call.
Other times available most days..

We also now have our 'Secret garden ' open to the public.

Free entry to the museum,...... 20 euros to leave....Joke ... :D

Wheelchair friendly and toilet facilities available.
Saludos ,
Gordon....