Holidays to Greece

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Trooperman
Resident

Holidays to Greece

Postby Trooperman » Mon May 23, 2022 12:12 pm

Just spent a great 2 weeks on Gran Canaria.....easy to do....internal flight......mostly Spanish resort...great food options .......only 2.25 hours from Malaga...what's not to like?

But I got to thinking I'd like to go to Greece again before I get too old and there my problems started as there don't seem to be many flights from Malaga direct other than to Athens (where I wouldn't want to stay for any length of time!)......and package holidays don't seem to be part of the Spanish pysche.

Are there any thoughts and/or recommendations from like-minded grecophiles?

My last Greek sojurn was from Malaga via Gatwick, from where there are umpteen flights, but I wanted to avoid the UK if at all possible....'cos airport are becomng a bit of a hassle for an old man like me.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Holidays to Greece

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 23, 2022 1:41 pm

We are regular visitors to the Canaries and they are an easy internal flight with Vueling. Like you Trooperman, we used to holiday in Greece and loved it but cannot find an easy way to get there from here. Vueling go from Madrid to Corfu which may be preferable to having to go all the way back to England, but it still adds a lot of time and hassle onto the journey.

I see Ryanair now go to Zagreb that looks a lovely city and I do fancy Croatia although that's a long way from the coast. It's the sea and the little Greek resorts I used to like, plus the food. Of course I'm sure it's all changed a lot now. We went to Santorini in the 1980s when flights first started to the airbase there and it was all very basic. Looks horrible now, full of cruise ships and 'boutique' hotels!

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon May 23, 2022 3:03 pm

Thanks, Wicksey. Maybe we both went on Greek odysees using Timsway or Twelve Islands holiday companies eh?
Thanks for the Vueling/Madrid/Corfu suggestion....we like Vueling......I'll do a bit of googling.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 23, 2022 3:47 pm

I have found it easiest to search in the Vueling site by putting Madrid in the origin box you can just put Greece in the destination box, then the yellow spot beside the name on the list will be a direct flight. Not a lot of choices though, but better than having to go via the UK.