Uk Airport Chaos

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Uk Airport Chaos

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm

Cancelled, flights, missed departures, queues etc etc...What a mess. Holidays ruined for many families and others with bookings. It's a knock on effect, hotel bookings and car hire bookings, airport connections, not to mention those who ae on holiday having their days cut to bring them back on earlier flights or even later flights.The effect also will be felt in Spain and other destinations. The airlines and airports concerned must be kicking themselves, all those months without any revenue and when they are now able to operate they are losing money through their own mistake of getting rid of staff instead of keeping them on furlough.
When i was in Newcastle airport at Easter there wasn't any problems, a smaller airport, I did notice it still wasn't as busy as other Easters pre covid, may have had something to do with schedule cuts, not as many flights as there used to be...Ryanair had reduced their daily schedule to Malaga to 2 days per week and that continues all through the summer months.
A member of staff in duty free told me that they were short staffed and they were recruiting new staff and then it would take time to train them. I asked her if the people who had been furloughed had found other jobs.. She said the airport had taken advantage of covid and finished a lot of staff.
Airlines are taking bookings knowing full well some will be cancelled, it's a total nightmare for those who have planned their annual hols.
I'm off on Friday to Alicante ( just for a change :lol: ) but i'm going from our tiny local airport, fingers crossed it all goes well both ways! I get the feeling the smaller airports will start getting more business, people will end up taking decision's to drive further to airports with the least problems, the only danger is they will also end up under pressure if that happens.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Uk Airport Chaos

Postby costakid » Tue May 31, 2022 3:46 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:57 pm Cancelled, flights, missed departures, queues etc etc...What a mess. Holidays ruined for many families and others with bookings. It's a knock on effect, hotel bookings and car hire bookings, airport connections, not to mention those who ae on holiday having their days cut to bring them back on earlier flights or even later flights.The effect also will be felt in Spain and other destinations. The airlines and airports concerned must be kicking themselves, all those months without any revenue and when they are now able to operate they are losing money through their own mistake of getting rid of staff instead of keeping them on furlough.
When i was in Newcastle airport at Easter there wasn't any problems, a smaller airport, I did notice it still wasn't as busy as other Easters pre covid, may have had something to do with schedule cuts, not as many flights as there used to be...Ryanair had reduced their daily schedule to Malaga to 2 days per week and that continues all through the summer months.
A member of staff in duty free told me that they were short staffed and they were recruiting new staff and then it would take time to train them. I asked her if the people who had been furloughed had found other jobs.. She said the airport had taken advantage of covid and finished a lot of staff.
Airlines are taking bookings knowing full well some will be cancelled, it's a total nightmare for those who have planned their annual hols.
I'm off on Friday to Alicante ( just for a change :lol: ) but i'm going from our tiny local airport, fingers crossed it all goes well both ways! I get the feeling the smaller airports will start getting more business, people will end up taking decision's to drive further to airports with the least problems, the only danger is they will also end up under pressure if that happens.
Enjoy Alicante, its a lovely city. A bit like Malaga but smaller. I lived there a few years ago and really enjoyed my time in the city.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 31, 2022 3:52 pm

Thank you costakid, I'm looking forward to it. :D

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm

My son lives in Heaton Moor quite close to Manchester airport, yesterday they left home several hours earlier than they normally would for a relatively short flight to Palma, Mallorca. Their flight was supposed to take off at 19.15 put back to 00.15 then eventually took off at around 03.00, they arrived at their hotel at 07.00 today ! The problem of course is that once they have your money you're screwed, the powers that be need to get a grip of this very soon or there will be no travel industry to speak of in the U K.
I fly backwards and forwards frequently between Helsinki and Grand Canaria and have never witnessed this at either airport, this situation is driven purely by the greed of the airline and holiday companies who sell flights and package holidays but fail to deliver !

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:49 am

Manchesteral wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm My son lives in Heaton Moor quite close to Manchester airport, yesterday they left home several hours earlier than they normally would for a relatively short flight to Palma, Mallorca. Their flight was supposed to take off at 19.15 put back to 00.15 then eventually took off at around 03.00, they arrived at their hotel at 07.00 today ! The problem of course is that once they have your money you're screwed, the powers that be need to get a grip of this very soon or there will be no travel industry to speak of in the U K.
I fly backwards and forwards frequently between Helsinki and Grand Canaria and have never witnessed this at either airport, this situation is driven purely by the greed of the airline and holiday companies who sell flights and package holidays but fail to deliver !

I have friends of all nationalities and i am hearing the problem is all over the EU not just the UK.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:27 am

Looks mainly Gatwick and Schiphol followed by Manchester at present, but changing all the time

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/airport-delays/europe

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:45 am

costakid wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:49 am
Manchesteral wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:46 pm My son lives in Heaton Moor quite close to Manchester airport, yesterday they left home several hours earlier than they normally would for a relatively short flight to Palma, Mallorca. Their flight was supposed to take off at 19.15 put back to 00.15 then eventually took off at around 03.00, they arrived at their hotel at 07.00 today ! The problem of course is that once they have your money you're screwed, the powers that be need to get a grip of this very soon or there will be no travel industry to speak of in the U K.

I have friends of all nationalities and i am hearing the problem is all over the EU not just the UK.
Yes I know that Manchester is not alone in this but so far no Problem in Finland or Gran Canaria, I am due to fly to Frankfurt next week, let's see how it goes !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:50 am

Sorry for the double post, not concentrating, trying to multitask, looking for a decent hotel in Kassel !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:52 am

apparently the double post (one of them) has already been removed !

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:54 am

I am supposed to be going to the UK in July but, quite honestly, I might give the Summer months a miss and go later in the year when the schools are back and there are fewer holiday people in general. The friend I went to Barcelona with last week went on the see a friend in Alicante and flew back to Bristol with easyjet. The flight was delayed for two hours but the worst was that on getting to Bristol and going to the car park to get her car and drive to her home in Devon, this is what happened:

"All went pear shaped when I went to collect my car. When we arrived at the Silver Zone it was a battlefield, people were queuing to check their cars in, to get on the bus to the terminal and collect their cars. I finally got to the front of the queue only to be told that they couldn't find my car and that I would have to find it myself. It was pitch black and pouring with rain. I was not impressed, they then told me I would have to wait an hour for them to find it. I joined the group of other very unhappy people whose cars were also missing!! An hour later they found it and brought it near to the collection point!! I finally got home at 0630 after leaving Alicante at 2030. There was a couple who had tried on 3 consecutive days to leave Cyprus without any joy, they finally flew them to Manchester and then sent them by coach to Bristol airport!! Travelling at the moment is a lottery."

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Worse thing some sat 5 hours on a Plane before being told it was cancelled. Another with kids were taken to a different Spanish airport and no tour company there.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:53 pm

This is a chicken and egg situation-

Pre covid the variables were very small and a bit of tweaking on seat prices and everything was hunky dory.

Come the end of the pandemic ( apparently) and the airlines want to get back to profitability and punters want to fly. The million dollar question is how many. To avoid this current situation the should have had seats at 500 each way and drip fed more capacity and therefore more trained staff. There would have been no complaints then except over price of course.

I think people expect too much. It will all come crashing down again when/if a plane load of tourists is shot down by a trigger happy soldier in Eastern Europe.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:17 pm

I have never stopped travelling, doing what i want when i can..Covid/Putin..whatever..the what ifs..I could be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow..I am not going to give in and let fear rule my life.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:39 am

The travel companies got rid of staff instead of using furlough .the staff got better jobs else where. Now they cant recruit because the pay and hrs are poor. Same ole

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:34 am

Pamela1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:17 pm I have never stopped travelling, doing what i want when i can..Covid/Putin..whatever..the what ifs..I could be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow..I am not going to give in and let fear rule my life.
[/quote

Me too. Great attitude.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:34 pm

I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 2 years ago, I'm still standing, I have always enjoyed travelling but there are limits to my tolerance. Having paid up front for our various holidays and travels we are entitled to what we have paid for, I for one will not be travelling in the near future except for a trip to Germany next week which even now I am considering cancelling !