Car hire - big changes coming

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Car hire - big changes coming

Postby olive » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:41 am

I read recentlly that all the staff at a Spanish ITV station were arrested recently for fraud. They even had a “ mule “ car for the emissions part.

The UK system is much more rigorous but I like the fact that the centres here do not do repairs.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:32 pm

I like the Spanish system best.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm

I’ll be interested to know where/if ebyard finds a car for €3000

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:15 pm

ebyard
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebyard » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:03 am

Bit of an update on the original post:

I contacted MoneySavingExpert in the UK, who contacted Goldcar, and they have admitted that their employee used high-pressure sales tactics to try to get me to buy insurance. They say he has been reprimanded (doubtful) and re-trained.

So it looks like nothing much has changed.

This saga has made me look seriously at getting a car there, as I spend about 1200€ per year on renting cars, and I'm fed up of the hire companies. They're all out to scam you. I'd rather spend that money on maintaining/parking a car knowing that I won't be hit with extortionate bills for minor scratches; given how people park in Spain, that is a constant worry....

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Car hire prices will eventually reduce simply because nobody will either (a) be unable to afford them or (b) refuse to pay them. In all my years of travel and especially in Europe I have rarely had cause to hire a car unless I need it for a long journey involving most of the day !
In general and especially in Spain in general I find that the bus services/local transport is pretty much ok and car hire is basically not necessary, I can travel from one end of Gran Canaria to the other for less than six euros.
I know of one family who come to Gran Canaria several times a year for 2/3 week stays, they always pick up a car form the airport and keep it for the duration of their stay, what I don't get is that the car (usually parked close to my apartment) is almost always parked up and idle so what's the point ? I understand that if your vacation home is remotely situated and you have plenty of spare cash but to rent a vehicle and just leave it standing outside (in case you need it) is , in my view financial folly !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Just looked out of interest at Gatwick and Hertz for October (not half term) just in case we needed to go back for the FiL and it was actually cheaper than I thought. Around 240 for a week for the cheapest car. When I looked for my trip in May from Stansted it was around 450 for the week, so now slightly better! I didn't pay that in the end as a friend lent me her car, for which I was truly grateful.

Trouble is, where we stay in the UK we need a car. A taxi to and from my FiLs would be at least 100 pounds now (it was that last November) and unfortunately my FiL gave his car away and we used to drive that. We always stay out in the sticks so can't do without a car and we need to go west/east across the country when in the UK which never is straightforward on public transport.

Hoping you're right Manchesteral, I'm sure the market will dictate that prices come down as people simply won't hire cars. It's still a pain and hassle though, I hate the whole process of picking up and dropping off.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:49 pm

Agree with Al, car hire prices will come down for the reasons he stated. The cost of living and high prices on just about everything else will kick in and holidays to anywhere will be hit because the electric bill will have to come first. Car hire companies will slash prices that's for sure.

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:36 am

Hire companies can flog off their fleets to match demand rather than run at a loss unsustainably so prices might come down a bit but I'd be surprised if they're slashed.

I bought a 2005 car in 2017 (December - a time when sales slow because the IVTM kicks in for the owner in January) for €2600. A couple of dents but not dealbreakers and a recent timing belt change. I know good/bad cars (and sellers) so I was confident and it's been a semi-free car for a long while now compared to hiring. Things to bear in mind are
Unless you give up UK NCD, you're starting from scratch so a 1.4 hatch cost me ~€400 to insure but you can build up ES NCD over the years. ITV costs me about €36 and is annual for a >10y.o. car but every two years for a 4-10y.o. A "mixed vehicle" - people carriers are cars, but I'm told my Opel Combo Tour (Kangoo/Berlingo type) on UK plates may be a mixto when rematriculated - over 10y.o. is every 6 months. IVTM (road tax) for my 1.4 is about €60 annually.

If parking is scarce and/or worrisome when you're away, renting a reserved parking space is expensive. Even for unsheltered above ground, it's €40-70/month around my way - long term contract. When I leave for a while, I try to nab a spot in the communal car park rather than the street. Unless the car's white or silver (mine is gold/bronze) the lacquer on the roof and perhaps bonnet will get sunburn blisters quite quickly. I did buy those half-covers but a single summer of sun and high winds reduce the cheap ones to nylon rags.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:29 pm

Back to normal. Just booked car hire end November for under €9 a day from goldcar - and no need to buy their overpriced insurance!!!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:53 pm

They couldnt pay me 9 quid a day to use goldcar!

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:37 am

I'm out here for 3 weeks. I always use Malagacar, I had a "mishap" with the rental car a couple of years ago and they were good to deal with. Anyway, this rental still expensive even with the VIP discount. Looked at next February and just the same rates.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:14 pm

Malagacar are good. But i do love the aggro at the real budget boys - it gets my blood boiling.

However even i wont touch Delpaso - a friend used them and rejected their insurance. They asked for his credit card and said "we can't accept this". Friend said why? Delpaso said "the card's name is Mr T Smith. The booking is made under Mr Tom Smith, read the T&C. No car. But we can make an exception if you buy our insurance!" Top Class Dodgy Dealers.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:42 pm

I wish all car hire was like it is here in the Canaries. It has gone up like everywhere, but no fee for second driver, no extra insurance costs and I forgot my credit card but no bother as I could pay by debit card.. The Panda Cross we have is 3 years old and a bit knocked around but they don't worry about the odd graze and dent it seems. Makes hiring a car so much more relaxing.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:05 pm

I have just had a car from a reputable hire company at Leeds airport. Cannot believe the prices but understand we are a captive market and profits have to be recouped.

I used to have an annual policy for excess on hire cars and forgot this had lapsed. They wanted a further £13 a day. I declined - perhaps foolishly. The guy did the hard sell Any damage incurs £1500 and if there are two separate areas it is 2@£1500. That just hardened my resolve. Car was soaked when I collected it and only today have I been able to see the myriad of small marks. One is nasty - supermarket trolley? Plus the car had a part missing which I can either go back and swap the car or buy and fit and they will reimburse! Hey ho.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:42 pm I wish all car hire was like it is here in the Canaries. It has gone up like everywhere, but no fee for second driver, no extra insurance costs and I forgot my credit card but no bother as I could pay by debit card.. The Panda Cross we have is 3 years old and a bit knocked around but they don't worry about the odd graze and dent it seems. Makes hiring a car so much more relaxing.
Blimey! I’ve seen quite a few people in Malaga in tears because the car hire companies won’t accept debit cards.

On the other hand a friend hired from Avis in France and forgot his driving licence. They allowed him a hire even though all he had was a photo of it on his phone!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:06 pm

I'm in Devon, visiting my Mum and have not hired a car from Enterprise as normal. On the recommendation of her neighbour I got one from a local company — private and not a chain. The car is excellent with all manner of things thrown in to the cost and it is £150 cheaper for the week than Enterprise.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:26 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:06 pm I'm in Devon, visiting my Mum and have not hired a car from Enterprise as normal. On the recommendation of her neighbour I got one from a local company — private and not a chain. The car is excellent with all manner of things thrown in to the cost and it is £150 cheaper for the week than Enterprise.
Suggest they open up in Malaga!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:06 pm I'm in Devon, visiting my Mum and have not hired a car from Enterprise as normal. On the recommendation of her neighbour I got one from a local company — private and not a chain. The car is excellent with all manner of things thrown in to the cost and it is £150 cheaper for the week than Enterprise.
Yes I considered doing that when in England in May. It would have been cheaper than hiring at the airport even taking into consideration I'd have to pay 90 pounds for a return journey by taxi to the town where I could have got the taxi, on the way to where I stay.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:02 pm

ashtondav wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:42 pm
Wicksey wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:42 pm I wish all car hire was like it is here in the Canaries. It has gone up like everywhere, but no fee for second driver, no extra insurance costs and I forgot my credit card but no bother as I could pay by debit card.. The Panda Cross we have is 3 years old and a bit knocked around but they don't worry about the odd graze and dent it seems. Makes hiring a car so much more relaxing.
Blimey! I’ve seen quite a few people in Malaga in tears because the car hire companies won’t accept debit cards.

On the other hand a friend hired from Avis in France and forgot his driving licence. They allowed him a hire even though all he had was a photo of it on his phone!
Friends arrived at Malaga with an AmEx card which wasn't accepted and so they had to finally give up after being at the airport for hours trying to sort out alternatives with a very unhappy tiny baby. They got a taxi to Torrox in the end where there was a car they could use at the house. They thought it would be simpler to hire a car with all the baby paraphernalia they had brought :roll: .

They are really laid back here in the Canaries which makes the whole holiday less stressful. As long as the fuel is at the same level as when we picked it up they don't seem to be bothered.