October school holidays in U K

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Manchesteral
Resident

October school holidays in U K

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm

I have been in business for the best part of 35 years and today cannot grasp the business plan of the airline companies.
As some of you will know my second home is in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria I am planning a family trip there during the U K half term holidays which runs from 24th to 28th October But the actual holiday will be 1 week, Saturday to Saturday.
My son, his wife and their 2 children live in Stockport and as I don't visit the U K very often I am planning to organise a family get together for a week in October in Las Palmas, looking at sky scanner i am being quoted 585 euros per person, regardless of age from Manchester to Las Palmas for those dates, that's 2340 euros for the flight ! A seven day stay in a family apartment by the beach in Las Palmas is 452 euros for the whole family (excluding me, because I already have a place) so the flights are costing 5 times the amount of the apartment ! This is excluding my travel costs because I will travel from Helsinki so that's a further 500 (ish) plus taxis !
I am not particularly bothered about the cost because I can afford to pay it but what about those who can't, I wonder about the business models of these airline companies, in this case Iberia, and how the hell are they going to survive in the long term if people cannot afford to use them ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: October school holidays in U K

Postby costakid » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:51 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:16 pm I have been in business for the best part of 35 years and today cannot grasp the business plan of the airline companies.
As some of you will know my second home is in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria I am planning a family trip there during the U K half term holidays which runs from 24th to 28th October But the actual holiday will be 1 week, Saturday to Saturday.
My son, his wife and their 2 children live in Stockport and as I don't visit the U K very often I am planning to organise a family get together for a week in October in Las Palmas, looking at sky scanner i am being quoted 585 euros per person, regardless of age from Manchester to Las Palmas for those dates, that's 2340 euros for the flight ! A seven day stay in a family apartment by the beach in Las Palmas is 452 euros for the whole family (excluding me, because I already have a place) so the flights are costing 5 times the amount of the apartment ! This is excluding my travel costs because I will travel from Helsinki so that's a further 500 (ish) plus taxis !
I am not particularly bothered about the cost because I can afford to pay it but what about those who can't, I wonder about the business models of these airline companies, in this case Iberia, and how the hell are they going to survive in the long term if people cannot afford to use them ?
And a week later they are probably half the price. School holidays are always a rip off.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:05 pm

Yup, B'stards !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Have you looked at Ryanair? Their flights look to be high 200 pounds and go on those Saturdays Manchester to Gran Canaria. Mind you, bags will be extra!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:52 am

Wicksey wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:16 pm Have you looked at Ryanair? Their flights look to be high 200 pounds and go on those Saturdays Manchester to Gran Canaria. Mind you, bags will be extra!
Wicksey, thanks for your consideration and input but Ryannair, Easyjet etc doesn't work for me, as I said I'm not really concerned about the cost I'm just curious how some of these airlines will survive with this kind of "greed first, customer service second" approach. I can foresee in the not too distant future a monopoly of the air travel industry by a very few companies who will then charge whatever they want and air travel will become an exclusive activity, only available to the upper middle classes !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:02 am

I think prices have always rocketed in the school holidays for everything, flights, accommodation etc. Luckily we have never had to travel at those peak times, but I guess it's all down to supply and demand and travel companies will always take advantage of the school holidays to charge as much as they think they can get away with.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 am

Prices always go up during school hols. Always have always will.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54 pm

All the travel industry is crazy now. More demand than supply. Usually use Eurostar to visit daughter in Paris. Average cost £80 return even summer months. Looked a month ago to travel late August and it is £300 return :wtf:
Watching Bloomberg business earlier flash on screen news says that many who go to Caribbean for winter holidays are going to Canaries instead.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:21 pm

Wizz Air have announced flight route cuts for winter including Tenerife said they are not viable. Strange.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:34 pm

Honestly don't know what next year or they year after that will look like as far as flight prices/routes or how many people will be holidaying...The way the cost of living is going it feels quite unpredictable.For many families the extra costs in electric, fuel, food per month are probaly their holiday savings..

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:30 am

With 5k gas and leccy bills i doubt holidays are the top of the list