Drivers license

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
fearfulfred
Resident

Drivers license

Postby fearfulfred » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:12 am

Hi
Thinking of going back to Spain for a holiday and have heard that car hire companies now require an international drivers license to hire a car. This was not the case on my last visit in 2014. I am Canadian does any9ne know if this is true. I kind of doubt it but don’t want to get caught out

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Drivers license

Postby costakid » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 am

My daughter who is a uk citizen so 3rd country status as you are rented recently and did not need an international licence.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:09 am

We recently hired a car and an international driving licence was never mentioned.

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:16 am

GB and NI seem to be on the list of 67 countries whose residents do not need an International Driving Permit, but Canada is not. As far as I can see the permit is needed to DRIVE a vehicle, not necessarily hire one. The IDP appears to be simply a translation of your national licence into the language of the country you are visiting, so why GB and NI don't need one but Canada does defeats me. Nevertheless, the few dollars cost of obtaining one seems a sensible precaution.

Parilla