In Times of Crisis

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Unicorn
Resident

In Times of Crisis

Postby Unicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Out of interest, looking at the Sudan situation, what would be the position of British passport holders resident in Spain? They will have travelled there on theit UK passports, so presumably be the responibility of UK Govt.

I have swapped to a Spanish passport so it would definitely be Spain for me.

After all a crisis can happen anywhere, not just war, but flood, earthquake, terror, etc., so it may be as well to know!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: In Times of Crisis

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:37 pm

A good question Unicorn and one that can prove complications. Not so much for Brits living in Spain because they are still british nationals.They are still the responsibility of the british government.
However lets say my son was in Spain, he has both British and Spanish nationality and both passports... it would not be up to the British government to rescue him.He would come under the immigration laws of Spain and vice versa should there be a crisis in Britain...

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:49 pm

I was thinking more of a resident in Spain Brit in, say, Kenya, when there is a crisis.

Your son is lucky having dual nationality. Not allowed for everyone.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:58 pm

Sorry Unicorn, i have slowed down and re read your post, too busy doing two things at once earlier. :lol: I guess if you were unlucky to be lets say in Sudan right now it would be Spain for you. As i understand it you now have Spanish nationality and reside in Spain. British nationals residing in other countries would come under the British embassy if they were unlucky to be in another country where there was a crisis...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:32 am

Whenever there is a crisis in some unfortunate country in some far-flung part of the world I am always amazed at the amount of British people there. Some will be civil servants and government workers of some sort, I suppose, and the British Counsel is everywhere but what are the rest of them doing there?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:36 am

I have often wondered the same Lavanda, i imagine it could be because these far flung places have a need for people in a vast majority of professions.We would probably be amazed at all the reasons why people are there...A few yrs ago a nurse friend was sent to India to teach basic hygiene in a hospital.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:46 am

Interesting, Pamela1. I do imagine most of the people who are in Sudan are in some sort of 'helping' capacity and the UK is very good at doing that. We ought not to forget that in this day and age of woke stuff.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:52 pm

I suspect quite a few will be British nationals of Sudanes origin.

Katy Again
Tourist

Postby Katy Again » Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 am

If you look those boarding rescue planes they aren’t British citizens, just happen to have British Passports. I think British who are living overseas permanently shouldn’t be the responsibility of the Government anymore.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue May 02, 2023 2:21 am

How else to you characterise as 'British ', surely the colour of the passport is very relevant, not the colour of the skin. How exactly do you identify a 'British citizen'? No point to embassies if they only concern . 'themselves with those passing through. Iwould expect Spain to rescue me as I am Spanish, and I thank God for that as Spain far quicker off the mark and we can request help from any EU embassy. French seem to always be ahead of the game ,see Afganistan, and much more generous with their help. What does 'happen to have British passports' mean, exactly? I 'happened ' to have one a few years ago and would have expected the help from my then country.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 02, 2023 2:02 pm

Katy Again wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 am If you look those boarding rescue planes they aren’t British citizens, just happen to have British Passports. I think British who are living overseas permanently shouldn’t be the responsibility of the Government anymore.
Too simplistic
Firstly, people with a British passport, are British citizens so by just looking at them will not give any clue to their nationality unless the criteria is that it's only possible to be British if someone has a certain racial profile.

There can also be many reasons why someone lives abroad. Some might have chosen to live in the Sudan while others might have some family link. This could mean having a parent or grand parents from there but others might have married someone. There will be others sent there by their company to work there, they could be working for a charity or for the British government. Many might be paying their taxes to the UK government so quite rightly, would expect it's their own government's responsibility to help in time of crisis.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:01 pm

Katy Again wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 am If you look those boarding rescue planes they aren’t British citizens, just happen to have British Passports. I think British who are living overseas permanently shouldn’t be the responsibility of the Government anymore.
Yup, I agree with that !