Using GB Blue Badge on hol in Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
tjtops
Resident

Using GB Blue Badge on hol in Spain

Postby tjtops » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:41 am

Hi all
I used to live over there (Alhaurin el Grande) but have been back in UK for 12 years now! I am disabled, and have a GB Blue Badge, and whilst I know (or think I know!) that there is no official "agreement", I'm pretty sure there was a letter (in Spanish) that I could display along with my card, explaining that "discussions" were/are ongoing and politely asking the local authorities to recognise the GB card as a gesture of goodwill?
I do visit my mates in AEG every year and am due to go over for a few days holiday next month, and wonder if this is still the case? If so, could some kind soul possibly provide the link to said letter so I can download and print it??
I really would be most grateful ....
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Using GB Blue Badge on hol in Spain

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:07 am

I think this is what you are looking for

http://www.disabledmotorists.eu/downloa ... _spain.pdf

Sid

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:30 am

Thank you so much Sid ..... you have always been a superstar!!!
That's EXACTLY what I meant!
Hope well with you and yours??

scotty.ie

Postby scotty.ie » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Brexit. The gift that keeps taking. Every single person that voted to leave the EU should now be saying sorry to "Blue Badge holders".

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:55 am

In this case the fact the UK left the EU doesn't necessary mean the blue badge isn't recognised.
This is the info on the Gov.UK website.
Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles) - UK Blue Badge recognition across Spain is decided by local administrations. Display with Spanish notice and check locally before parking.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pean-union

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle ... s-30510296

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:24 am

Thanks Mark

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:24 pm

tj - hello there, how you doing ? when are you over ? maybe we could meet for a coffee
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:48 pm

ee.... do I know you??!!!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:27 am

:lol: Time to make new friends. Love it. I was SO UPSET that Mark never sent me a PM to say he was in Cáceres and should we meet for coffee. There again, maybe he wants to keep his illusions that I am not really as batty as my posts suggest. :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:01 pm

Not at all, I would have been happy to meet up but I don’t like to impose. Not only that, we were only there an afternoon and evening as we continued our journey after breakfast next morning. If you ever get up my way, we can for sure. We are travelling back through Madrid on the return journey.
As I get older, these long drives get more and more tiring so the first couple of days we just chilled by the pool. We are staying in Mijas pueblo but we do like to visit the various towns along the coast. Yesterday we spent most of the day in Malaga city. I glad we did as it’s such a lovely place and might well spend the next Andalusian holiday there. We try to vary where we go on our Mediterranean holiday but no matter where we visit, I have to say Andalucia is out favourite place.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:04 pm

Mijas pueblo is lovely and was always a favourite of ours. We actually stayed in the long, white hotel as you go up the hill and turn left into the village and the hotel is on the left. Great views from there. Simply love Málaga.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:18 pm

tjtops wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:48 pm ee.... do I know you??!!!
We have met, although it was a few years ago. I lived in alhaurin for 20 years don't forget.

Mark, it's great that you are getting around a bit down here, there's loads to see and do.

As for a blue badge tj, I've not seen anyone getting in stick for using one, if its real - there was recently a article in the sur with the police busting a crime ring that was producing /using fake ones

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:47 pm

Aha.... I thought we must have done (met) at some point .... jolly old AEG!!! And re Blue Badge, I emailed the tourism dept at the Ayunatmiento as per instructions from the Embassy and they've sent me a letter basically saying yes, it's down to the policia locale apparently, and they (AEG) had asked and been told it's perfectly fine!!! So major result hey... and well worth other "visitors" doing the same!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:12 am

tjtops wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:47 pm Aha.... I thought we must have done (met) at some point .... jolly old AEG!!! And re Blue Badge, I emailed the tourism dept at the Ayunatmiento as per instructions from the Embassy and they've sent me a letter basically saying yes, it's down to the policia locale apparently, and they (AEG) had asked and been told it's perfectly fine!!! So major result hey... and well worth other "visitors" doing the same!
print the email and carry a copy in the car. If you get any stick ... "ive spoken to your boss, you cant give me a ticket".

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:35 am

Oh it's already done (print out of the email!) ....!! :-) And I'll be digging out my EXTREMELY rusty Spanish!!

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:11 pm

scotty.ie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:44 pm Brexit. The gift that keeps taking. Every single person that voted to leave the EU should now be saying sorry to "Blue Badge holders".
Why ?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:33 pm

scotty.ie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:44 pm Brexit. The gift that keeps taking. Every single person that voted to leave the EU should now be saying sorry to "Blue Badge holders".
It’s called living in a democracy. Vote for what you want

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm

Yes, vote for what you want, but don't then moan about the consequences of what you voted for!

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:50 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm Yes, vote for what you want, but don't then moan about the consequences of what you voted for!

Sid
Which is what most have done who voted to leave...

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:45 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:32 pm Yes, vote for what you want, but don't then moan about the consequences of what you voted for!

Sid

Exactly, my Friend from Manchester visited Gran Canaria a couple of years ago, they spent time in France, drove through Spain then took the ferry to Las Palmas and stayed several months, they got a ticket round the back of El Corte ingles and went to the police station to contest it and were told that in Las Palmas you have to apply for it, I don't know if things have changed since 2021 but they had to pay the standing fine. The reason they were given was that they could have manufactured the badge themselves and the local authorities have no way to check the validity !