Alhama de Granada (thermal spring)

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Alhama de Granada (thermal spring)

Postby hillybilly » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:18 am

Have friend over end of Sept and am thinking of taking her to Alhama de Granada to experience the thermal spa/spring. Could anyone who's been there please tell me what the experience is like?!
I've seen photos on the net showing people bathing in the river/pool - I assume this bit is accessible and free to all? Pleasant?
I've also seen a nearby hotel Balneario advertised where you can go and use their facilities (outdoor thermal pool, inside Roman bath etc) for a fee obviously. Is this nice and worth doing?
Thanks in advance for info.

bwgmijas
Tourist

Thermal spring. Alhama De Granada.

Postby bwgmijas » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:44 am

Yes, it is very pleasant, well worth a visit. I have been several times and can recommend it. If you pm me I can send some pics. Brian

madmads
Tourist

Postby madmads » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:42 pm

I recommend it too and also Embalse de los Bermejales which is close by and was still fullish in August when I went. It has a long beach area and the water is lovely for swimming . Very quiet with stunning scenery.

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:05 pm

I went to the outside hot springs one February, quite cold day, but the water was like a hot bath. The hot spring pumps out into the stream and there is a nice safe area to sit in. Really enjoyed it. Didn't try the indoor pool but have heard it's good. There is also a very pleasant gorge walk on the other side of the main road (before you turn off for the hot springs).
I would certainly go again.
Jane

JMM
Tourist

Alhama De Granada thermal spa/spring

Postby JMM » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:56 pm

Can someone tell me where these hot springs are please? We will be moving shortly to Alcala la Real, Jean. Are they anywhere near? Sorry to be dim, but as yet we don't know many places to visit, and the springs sound lovely.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:08 am

Hi
If you draw a line between Malaga and Granada, Alhama De Granada is about half way.
http://www.andalucia.com/province/grana ... a/home.htm

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:13 pm

Have just returned from Spain and visited the hot springs again, this time by using the swimming pool. To find the springs follow the road from Zafaraya pass towards Alhama. Keep following the road to Granada and just as you are heading out of Alhama you'll see a sign for a left turn to a Balenario (that spelling might be wrong but it's something similar and I don't have my dictionary handy). Follow the gorge, park your car, cross the bridge and down on the left you'll see people bathing in the springs in the river. This time we skipped the river bathing and walked over the bridge and headed left down a nice pathway walk through the woods (hotel is on the right). About 200 metres down this path you'll find the outdoor swimming pool (open until 8pm). It's 6 euros entrance but I think that buys you a day's ticket. We actually got in for 3 euros as it was late evening. They give you a bathing hat (very fetching) and you can then float around or swim very gently in the hot water. It was a treat not to be missed, especially on a cool evening.
But don't miss the gorge on the opposite side of the Granada road as it's excellent and is very near. After leaving the hot springs road, turn left back on to the road towards Granada and then immediately turn right along a mountain road. You can stop at the lake and walk back along the gorge, or just enjoy the view.
Jane

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Thanks for the recommendation

Postby poppylou » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Thanks for all your info on this. We have just visited the Spa today (16th October) and it was lovely - walks through the woods with leaves just turning gold in lovely autumn sunshine. We got a price list for the treatments, and these look very reasonable compared to English spas.
We combined this with a walk along the gorge in Alhama de Granada, and a then a walk along the old railway line at Venta de Zaffaraya - wonderful views down to the coast and Lake Vinuela. A great day out.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Alhama de Granada

Postby hillybilly » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:55 am

Well, we finally visited the hot spring at Alhama de Granada this week and very pleasant it was too. You meet all sorts of interesting people - we got talking to a Venezuelan and a Norwegian during our wallow.
I would imagine it gets very busy at weekends, so best to go in the week if at all possible. I also imagine it would be lovely on a really cold winter's day. Don't feel shy about taking your shampoo etc with you!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:36 pm

The thermal pool.... the one at the complex.... is it disabled friendly? The thermal pool outside would be no good because of the climb down, but hopefully the main swimming pool would be good. Do you just turn up and go and pay or do you have to pre-book?
Thanks

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:44 pm

As far as I know there is only one swimming pool and it is as I described in my earlier posting last year. It is outside and does not require any climbing down, it's on the same level as the hotel. If you wanted to bathe in the river for free then you do have to climb down into the river. I would think that the swimming pool is fine for disabled access.
The water is lovely and hot so you can use it at any time of year. There are changing rooms too and plenty of sunbeds to sit on around the pool.
Jane

Jane
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Jane » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:49 pm

Sorry forgot to answer your question about booking. I don't think you can book. It's not that sort of pool. You pay at the kiosk inside the pool area just like you do for the open air municipal pools. I think it was 6 or 8 euros for a day ticket and that also buys you a swim cap that you have to wear. I imagine you could come and go as you wish but I was only there in an evening. Open until 8pm I think.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 pm

That link states that it's only open June to October but that doesn't sound correct?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:59 pm

It's possble, we were there in feb. a few years ago and though there were loads of people in the hot pools in the stream outside, the hotel looked pretty deserted.
Grouser