Maroma by Moonlight

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Grouser
Resident

Maroma by Moonlight

Postby Grouser » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:21 pm

I have read that in the summer there is a pilgrimage from Canillas de Acetuno up the old snow transporters path to the summit of Maroma by the light of the full moon. Does anyone know if this still takes place and if so when it will happen in 2006?
Grouser

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:17 pm

Tourist office at Velez Malaga Town Hall should have details Grouser. Wonderful full moon rose over maroma tonight - whole of Lake Vinuela currently moonlit and looks stunning!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:23 am

Wow, that sounds so much fun, unless of course clouds set in!!! Will let you know if I hear of any details `cos I`m sure I would like to try it. (Day or night)
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:07 pm

How lucky you are to be there Brenda. Clear here too but very cold and frosty at night and Badgers have been digging up the lawn. I didn't make it up Maroma last visit, my companions thought I was crazy, but I'm all set for next visit and the moonlit trip in the summer if I can coincide with it. See you there Fletch
Grouser

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:39 am

We finally made it up Maroma, having been driven back by a blizzard about an hour from the top, in Feb. We took the route up from Canillas on the old Ice men trail and it took nine hours there and back with rests and Ibex watching. The male Ibex were head butting each other in typical male testosterone fueled style. The path is a long but mainly gentle incline and the hill walking was just about as good as it gets
Grouser

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:53 am

Beautiful pictures Grouser.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:16 am

Yes I agree, superb pictures.
When did you go up, and did you go from Canillas de Aceituno or Albaida?

(Is there a bar at the top???) :wink:
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Went up from Canillas de Acetuno. The path is at the top of the village, at the start of the national park, where there is a map. It is well defined and waymarked until the last hour where it turns sharp right and gets above the tree line. As the vegetation thins out it is progressively more difficult to follow. No problem going up, or in clear weather, but the cloud does come in from nowhere so a keen eye for landmarks and a compass are essential. We went up on Good Friday and the clouds rolled in, just as we started to come down, but cleared again an hour or so later.
As for the bar, if only.
Grouser

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

maroma by moonlight

Postby gavilan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:13 am

did you actually find/see the old ice house?

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:21 pm

Only from a distance. We saw it on the way down, as the clouds were rolling in, and figured out what it was, but as we were already below it, just didn't have the inclination or energy to walk back up
Grouser