car rental rip off

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

car rental rip off

Postby costakid » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 am

I just rented a car via carjet through europa goldcar and i was told to return the car empty of fuel. also had to pay €55 for the fuel that was in the vehicle. i ran the car to empty and still only managed to put in €38 of fuel. the car looked cheap but they earn out of the fuel they sell you. Also you end up driving around with your fuel light on for the last days as you dont want to give them more fuel. i prefer companys that let you return cars full. The car was also dirty and when i complained the man said if i wait at the airport for two hours he would have it cleaned for me. The last thing you want when you have been travelling all day.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:25 pm

I said much the same thing before. I was thinking it´s about time to forsake Carjet. The last one I had was short of pertrol, paid for a full tank, was only about three quarters full, washers didn´t work etc. I complained and they did refund me 15 euros! And if they put you with Crown, you´ll queue all day for it. Any recommended companies, cheap and on airport?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Kahuna
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kahuna » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:40 pm

Get my cars through DoYouSpain and often get Europa or Crown.

Europa charged me €68 last week and it only managed €48 to fill it up - had to take it back empty though which is almost impossible.

But I discovered that I could go directly to the Crown desk at the drop off point at Malaga airport to collect your car and they'll bring it right to you! Saves the waiting at the check in desk. She just asked me if I'd come from the airport and I said no! Car came in 4 mins flat.
Kahuna
=======

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:09 pm

Having read the comments above, and as I have a pending booking with Carjet, I emailed them and asked if my booking could be changed from Europa to Centauro, who operate a "full to full" policy. They emailed back within the hour to say that the booking had indeed been changed to Centauro.

I suggest anyone else who doesn't want a car from the provider specified on Carjet's particulars gets in touch with them and asks for a change of supplier.

alisonb
Resident

car hire

Postby alisonb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:37 pm

We almost always use Record. Never had a problem. Cars are not necessarily full, but you take them back with same amount in, and aren't charged for fuel. They also provided spare key for me when I had my bag stolen.

We used Crown at Granada (no Record available) and they were dreadful.

Record also do the additional insurance - about 3 euros per day but covers tyres and underside of car. THese are not covered with normal insurance. If going off tarmac, it's worth every penny

If you hire regularly, they also do discount scheme where you get 10% of value of rental in points which you can then use against future rentals.

We sometimes book direct but otherwise use email-car-hire. They have almost always put us with Record and will change if not. Sometimes they are same price as Record, sometimes cheaper

Alison
AlisonB

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:19 pm

I have used Centauro and Record several times and don't have any real complaints. You do need to check the small print with any car-hire and I believe sometimes it is worth paying an optional extra insurance top-up to limit your maximum liability.

I payed about £14 extra for one such policy and it paid for most of my 700 Euro bill after smashing off a wing mirror and denting the wing of a VW Bora.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:32 pm

Chalky wrote:Having read the comments above, and as I have a pending booking with Carjet, I emailed them and asked if my booking could be changed from Europa to Centauro, who operate a "full to full" policy. They emailed back within the hour to say that the booking had indeed been changed to Centauro.

I suggest anyone else who doesn't want a car from the provider specified on Carjet's particulars gets in touch with them and asks for a change of supplier.
I have done the same the last few times, anybody but Crown, they consistently have the longest queues in my experience. Carjet will put you with who you ask, without any problem. They must be taking note, because last time I said I did not want Crown, but I had used Europa the last few times. Unbeknown to me, they had put me with Centauro, but switched me to Europa after my email. I'd have been happy with Centauro! :D
Regards, Frank

Annabell
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Annabell » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:33 am

We used Brunos car hire at Jerez airport a couple of weeks ago, we were a bit worried as we don't have any credit cards (which i informed them of anyway), but when we arrived the guy was standing there with a board with our names on, took us outside, showed us the car, gave us the keys, we gave him the cash and off we went. When we returned the car to the same place we just left the key in the boot (like they had asked) and off we went.
Its just a shame that they don't work from Seville airport as we are flying there next week. Does anybody know of a company that will let you hire cars without credit cards?
Annabell

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:10 pm

CostaKid

You was lucky. Goldenballs gave me a triple "upgrade" from a basic Grade A model and then charged me €70 for the tank of petrol (I used about 20 litres in my 4 day stay!!). Crown are always good but you grow old in the queue. I stick with carjet but only accept those companies which do full to full and don't have big queues.....

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:08 pm

Oh well, here goes...
I have a Crown car booked on Friday at Jerez, I`ll try to change it now to Centauro (or another full/full co.) and let you know how I get on!
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:46 pm

ashtondav wrote:CostaKid

. I stick with carjet but only accept those companies which do full to full and don't have big queues.....
And me! Which other ones, besides Centauro, operates the full to full policy?
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:49 pm

Fletch wrote:Oh well, here goes...
I have a Crown car booked on Friday at Jerez, I`ll try to change it now to Centauro (or another full/full co.) and let you know how I get on!
I'm guessing that Crown would be fine from Jerez, it's at Málaga that there seem to be large queues. Or do you want to change because of the fuel policy? Their cars are fine, once you get one! :D
Regards, Frank

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Crown have always been either full to full, half full to half full etc. IE that don't seem to charge extra at point of hire for a full tank. Record also seem to do this (from memory). In fact at Malaga its only been Europa Gold thats been the rip off!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm

Go the reply back from carjet, here it is....

Hi,

The other supplier is Europa and they are not really flexible regarding the fuel system.

Crown is more flexible, please request full full option to them on arrival.

Regards
Meena
Carjet

Will see tomorrow wether I get full/full or not!

It`s not a major problem at Jerez with waiting as long as you leg it off the plane first to meet the rep in the arrivals hall, as they have no office. But yes, cars are always clean and in good condition
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:27 pm

I rented a car through carjet for Granada and got Crown. I told them I wanted full to full and got it. They said I would need extra insurance, which carjet said was included. I pointed this out and they accepted that at well.
Queued about 3/4 hr at both arrival and departure.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 am

ron wrote:I rented a car through carjet for Granada and got Crown.
Queued about 3/4 hr at both arrival and departure.
How does that work on departure in Granada? I only know Málaga, and there you simply drive up to their parking area, leave the car anywhere, and throw the keys in the office window. Only takes a few minutes. 45 minutes is far too long to have to wait just to pick up a car. With Carjet, you can register your passport, driving licence details etc online, that would speed the process up if everyone did it.
Regards, Frank

steve w
Tourist

jerez crown car hire

Postby steve w » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:06 pm

crown at jerez can be a long very long wait, we waited over an hour to get the vehicle thats even after booking & paying on line thinking we would only be ther 15mins while sorting the paper work out. I contacted carjet & complained about crown at jerez, they said next time find a different hirer & they would sort it out si will have to wait & see

Nicks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nicks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:12 pm

I also always use Record car hire and get the 10% discount - cars seem to be clean, return car with same amount of petrol that was in it when we received it.

Will check next visit whether anyone else is cheaper, but Record has been fine, although a few times the queue's have been long and it seem to take them ages to do each person's paperwork.
We usually save time by one of us getting the luggage while the other gets into the car hire queue downstairs (at Malaga!)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 pm

Nicks wrote: We usually save time by one of us getting the luggage while the other gets into the car hire queue downstairs (at Malaga!)
That's us as well. Quickly grab a trolley for the missus, and I shoot off downstairs to do the paperwork. I'm normally back before she gets the bags, unless I've had Crown! Always make a point now of asking to have someone else.
Regards, Frank

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:56 pm

I've mentioned them before and have always been happy with Brunos.
They supply to Malaga, Jerez and Gibraltar. No queuing they are waiting for you, full to full if required. Once you have booked online they have all details stored to make future booking easier.
Worth a try.