Older but not worldly traveller coming to Nerja in october

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Linda K
Tourist

Older but not worldly traveller coming to Nerja in october

Postby Linda K » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:36 pm

Hello Forum
I am one of your newer members and can only say I'm pleased to find you.
As you can see by the heading I am coming to Nerja (By the way is that pronounced Ner Ka or Ner Ha) during the first week of October. I've never been before but hear horrific stories about the motorway from Malaga. Therefore as we are feeling adventurous we thought we might travel from the airport by bus to Nerja town and then taxi to our villa (Capistrano Urbanisation area?) no info until two weeks prior to leaving. I have discovered already by reading your posts that I need a number 19 bus from the airport to Malaga bus station, but can someone tell me what bus I need then (or can I catch a train? can't find any mention of trains to the area). I realise I can get a taxi all the way but I fancied the adventure, so if anyone can help and any tips on useful Spanish words other than Ola and Mucho Grazia's might help. By the way our parties ages range from 41 to 62 so senility is catching us up fast so please spell out any words as if you were talking to a 5 year old who none the less is over excited about going on holiday.
Bye for now
Linda K. :)

Mariposa
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mariposa » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:47 am

bus from airport leaves at aprox the hour and half hour. When you arrive at the bus station there is a booth run by Alsina Graells- you will get your tickets to Nerja there. Think the last bus is about 7.30 pm so will be difficult to get if your plane arrives after about 6.30. The bus stop in Nerja is not far from capistrano but you will need a taxi. When in Nerja you will find plenty of English speakers, but why not try a language class while you are there? good luck.

pwwm
Resident

Postby pwwm » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:16 am

Hi Welcome to the forum.

Where I live some pronounce it Ner ka and the other half Ner Ha. Seems to depend quite where you are from, but at our class I was told NerHa .
I have added the link for the bus, You can change it into English so make it simpler.

http://www.alsinagraells.es/agsur/in-03.html

Hope you enjoy your stay.
pwwm

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Mucho Grazia's for your help, have run off a bus timetable with your help and found I need to look for Line 631! Here's hoping it's all as straight forward as it's looking from the comfort of this chair :wink:

As for Nerja that looks as good as the proverble English Potatoes and Tomatoes :?

And Spanish Lessons :!: you're talking to the woman who only this week called the stereo system a gramaphone and keeps muddling up her children's names, forgetting important dates and hey sorry what's my password again :roll:

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:25 pm

We regularly travelled by bus from Malaga Airport to Nerja before we moved - still do the journey to Torre del Mar if we don´t fancy leaving the car at the airport.

Buses run to Nerja terminus later than the 7.30 previously mentioned in high season (including October) - according to timetable last one leaves 11 p.m. However the last bus that goes as far as Capistrano Village entrance does finish earlier.

As previously stated get your ticket at the Alsina Graells office inside the Malaga Bus Station terminal - fare €3.48 p.p. Buses generally leave from stands 37 or 38 - check on the large departure board inside the terminal building. Next bus departure time is printed on your ticket.

Large hold under bus so no problem with luggage.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Out of interest, how long does the malaga/nerja bus take and about how many stops on route?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:23 pm

pwwm wrote: Where I live some pronounce it Ner ka and the other half Ner Ha.
The correct pronounciation is Ner-ch-ar with the Ner rhyming with pear and the ch as in Loch.

And lots more pronounce it Nerjer!

Take your pick!

El Seed

floydman
Tourist

Postby floydman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Linda

You won't regret your visit to Nerja and early October is a nice time. We went in October half term 7 years ago and have been back every year since.
Although we haven't traveled from the airport by bus I do know its very cheap and we have been from Nerja to Malaga on the bus for a nice recommended day out. However I wouldn't dismiss the car immediately as I am not aware of any problems with the motorway other than its busy at the Malaga end (particularly evening rush hour time and you have you keep your eyes peeled on the signs but not complicated) - but once passed the city then its relatively quiet and easy to get to Nerja (it stops there - close to Capistrano). Don't forget you may want transport when in Nerja as although Nerja has a good bus service - Capistano is still some way from the town and beaches and depending which bit may be uphill. Also if self catering a car is handy. Car rental is also cheap in Spain.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:34 pm

Bus journey generally takes between an hour and 90 minutes depending on whether you get a Directo service that goes along the motorway only stopping at Torre del Mar and Torrox Costa or the stopping service that goes along the coast from Torre del Mar to Nerja stopping at Caleta de Velez, Algarrobo, Lagos, El Morche etc. in between. There are also a couple of buses per day that go right along the coast via Rincon de la Victoria and these services can take up to an hour and three quarters depending on traffic/time of day.

A very pleasant journey though and, as all buses are air conditioned and have reclining seats, generally very comfortable. Standing room is allowed on those routes not using the motorway; motorway journeys require all passengers to have a seat.

The quickest Directo services are marked D on timetables.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:49 pm

floydman wrote:You won't regret your visit to Nerja and early October is a nice time. We went in October half term 7 years ago and have been back every year since..
October is not the best time to visit Nerja.

It is a well known fact to the locals that it always rains at some point during Nerja Feria which is around the second week of October.

The best time is late September, after that the weather is unpredictable.

Sid

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:43 am

Hi guys
what a lot of response :D
I've printed off copies of everything and am taking it all in with great interest.
Pleased about the comment about the luggage hold as that was another thought that had crossed my mind.
Thought we might hire a car once in Nerja and away from the airport but out plane arrives at 11am so decided it would probably be knocking off for a siesta time by the time we get through the airport and didn't fancy trying to find the way, look at signs, villa gaze and remember to drive on the wrong side of the road all at the same time as talking and looking for somewhere to stop for a drink or something to eat.
By catching the bus we can be much more leisurely about it all and personally I find the whole experience of getting to my holiday destination 'fun' (if all goes to plan) thought we might try a bar mentioned on another discussion (the one by the train station at the airport) when we get there because she of the adled brain :oops: booked an early morning flight so we could have the whole day there and now have to leave home at about 3am in order to get to Birmingham airport in time to park the car 3/4 of an hour away, allow 2 hours to book in on a no frills flight with no food, lose an hour in time, and touch down at Malaga at 11am only to not be allowed into the villa until 4pm :roll: so all in all a bit of time to waste I think. as for the weather we are arriving on the 30th of September and only staying for one week so that means we should miss the Fiesta and the rain doesn't it 8) But hey never mind they tell me the rain in Spain is nothing like as wet as the rain in England and it will certainly be a sunnier/happier/friendlier/nicer place to be (Hey viva e'spania :wink: )

hellie
Tourist

Traffic from Malaga airport

Postby hellie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:03 pm

Is the traffic really that frightening. We are driving from Malaga airport at noon through to Salobrena for a 10 week stay. Apart from driving on the right hand side we hope not to encounter any other problems. Surely if you take it easy, have good map directions you will not encounter any problems.

Someone please put my mind at rest.

Nervous Hellie

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Traffic from Malaga airport

Postby frank » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:26 am

As I said previously, I don't find it a problem, it's no better nor worse than any other city really. Quite honestly, I haven't driven in Central London for over 20 years, and I'd be more concerned about driving there than in Málaga! Once you leave the airport, cross over the motorway, and I would suggest staying in the right hand (slow) lane then, as not too far on you need to go off right. Providing you don't miss that turn, it's quite straight forward.
Best of luch!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Re: Traffic from Malaga airport

Postby Valencia_Paul » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:51 am

hellie wrote:Is the traffic really that frightening. Someone please put my mind at rest.

Nervous Hellie
As Frank said it is not that bad. Out of town I find driving in Spain very relaxing and enjoyable. Watch out for driving through the centre of small villages - it's all too easy to end up down a very tight dead end and having to carefully reverse back out through very narrow spaces!

Once I made the mistake of driving straight into Barcelona with no map expecting to find a hotel and parking place - Never again!

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:27 pm

Me again,

Didn't mean to frighten anyone :shock: I'm sure everything will be fine for everyone that doesn't have my sister (who can talk for England) sitting in the car at the same time.

Although I live in Staffordshire I am an Eastender born and bred and would no more drive in London (or Sydney come to that) than fly to the moon. I am however planning to get a car once we arrive in Nerja and may even venture into Seville (fancy it). Hey if I can face the A500 and its many road works what can Spain do to me.

It's just on the day I arrive (new carpark being built at the airport) only having 7 days in Spain, shell shocked from England, no sleep the night before (excited) sister in the back...... I just think the bus (and the bar) sounds so much more relaxing 8) :wink:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:36 am

Now after saying Málaga to Nerja is easy, we nearly got divorced driving around Sevilla! ;-) Could see exactly where we wanted to be, but not how to get there! We did crack it in the end, but it can be difficult. In common with most women, my wife cannot read a map, her excuse was I was pronouncing the names of places differently to how they were written on the map! I suspect only a woman's logic can work that one out! Parking in Sevilla can also be a nightmare. Might be an idea to drive to Málaga, park there, and take the train to Sevilla. Good clean trains, no parking problems! But go, see Sevilla, probably one of my favourite places. From Nerja, it's a very easy dive to the Alhambra, Granada, and get there reasonably early, and you'll have acres of parking. Need to book well in advance to avoid the queues, months not weeks! Another "must see" place in my opinion.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 am

I was pronouncing the names of places differently to how they were written on the map!
And probably differently to how they are pronounced by the 'REAL' spanish speaking peoples too. :lol:

floydman
Tourist

Postby floydman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 pm

Although Sevilla is nearly all motorway from Nerja, it is over 300 km (200 miles) which is a long stretch if you are planning to do a visit in a day (particularly if you are only there for a week ). As said below Granada is a better bet for a day visit (only 125 km) but MUST book Alhambra tickets in advance (have to name a day and time slot). Note though that there is a daily bus service from Nerja to Sevilla - takes 4 hours each way but you get 6 hours or so in city and much less stressful , don't have to worry about parking or city traffic - only 35 euros return I think.

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:55 pm

Hey guys whataya talking about, it's only an inch on the map!!!! :roll: I was :shock: as it says shocked to realise it was that far away, i don't think i'll bother, i think i might just laze by my pool, wanter dowm to the (lost the word again) the thing like a pier.... :?: :!: :roll: :oops:
have some tapas and a drink and get a taxi home to my villa.

Linda K
Tourist

Postby Linda K » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:14 am

post script.

hey sorry the words I was looking for were 'Balcon de europe' (can't do the thing above the O) wander as opposed to wanter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a little drink about an hour a go and it's gone right to my head (I feel a song coming on)[/b]