good friday

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
trisha
Tourist

good friday

Postby trisha » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:58 pm

are the shops etc closed in torre del mar and velez malaga on Good Friday and Easter Monday?

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:16 pm

Last year virtually everywhere was closed Good Friday but many smaller shops open Easter Monday. Asked at Eroski this morning and the staff there don´t know for sure yet but say there is a rumour it may open Easter Monday this year.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Good Friday is a public holiday....Easter Monday is just another monday...not a holiday.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Silver, I was told that in much of Spain Easter Monday is an official bank holiday but not in Andalusia i.e. it's one of those optional days regions can have and Andalusia choose to use Andalusia Day instead. Is this correct?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:29 pm

The Spanish celebrate their Easter week starting from the Sunday before Easter Sunday through to Easter Sunday..with official days off on the Thursday and Friday. Some other towns in Spain might have a local holiday (like the Andalucia day) on the Monday.
afaik. :)

chrisuk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby chrisuk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:38 am

What date is easter this year, I've never really paid much attention to it until now with shops closing and what have you....the spoils of a nanny state, gee how I dot miss it.. :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:03 am

The Madrileños all come down to Marbella for semana santa and that is the week before Easter monday. As Silver says its just another day here. It will be almost as busy as August and on Easter Sunday they will be heading home, watch the roads. :roll:

trisha
Tourist

Postby trisha » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:01 pm

thanks for the replies - I am looking forward to seeing the processions - I guess there will be a couple.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:22 am

What date is easter this year
13th April thursday, 14th good friday.
I am looking forward to seeing the processions - I guess there will be a couple.
Spend thursday evening till early friday morning in Malaga to see the biggest and best procession...very impressive... some of the heavy wooden thrones are carried on the shoulders of 150/250 men.

Moving Soon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Moving Soon » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Hi Trisha

There are processions every night during Semana Santa in Velez-Malaga, a detailed timetable and routes are published in the Axarquia Diario free newspaper (in Spanish) - I think you can pick up a copy from the foyer at the Ayuntamiento. Some of them don't finish until the early hours of the morning.

Also for a few days before Easter Week starts the decorated statues are housed in marquee-like structures dotted about the streets (including the street that leads up to the Plaza de la Constitucion outside the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista from the town hall square) and the Convento de San Francisco (near the indoor market). Anyone can go in and you can get a close up look at the beautiful decorations.

When I was there last week I noticed some of the statues had already been moved from their usual locations and the local cofradios were already working on their costumes so all the preparations obviously take a lot of time and effort.