Santander to Malaga - any decent hotels?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
teralin
Resident

Santander to Malaga - any decent hotels?

Postby teralin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:08 am

We are going to be arriving off the ferry at Santander with a car full of worldy goods at the end of March. Can anybody recommend a hotel for an overnight break somewhere south of Madrid. I was thinking around the Valdepenas area. Obviously, we would like to wake up and find the car still in the car park so security might be an issue. Any advice would be welcome.

Also, I've heard of cars with foreign plates being targetted by crooks posing as police on the ringroads around Madrid. Anyone read anything recent on this?

Thanks everyone

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:02 pm

I've done this trip a couple of times both ways. Its a very pleasant journey. I have stayed in the Parador at Manzanares which is just before Valdepanas. Paradores are State owned hotels, a bit on the high side price wise but well worth it in my view. They all have very good restaurants and security is no problem. Like you, on my first trip the car was loaded with prized possessions.
You may need to book as this one is not very big and they get busy.

As to crooks targeting Foreign plated cars on the Madrid ring roads, not aware of any recent problems. I did it with a UK plated car on the first trip but now the car has Spanish plates. Had no problems but always mindful not to stop unless at a very public place like a petrol station.

Have a good (and safe) trip.

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:09 pm

Masterob - Thanks very much for the information, I will definitely check out the parador site.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Valdepenas, La Carolina & Lerma hotels esp. for dog own

Postby poppylou » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:58 am

On the Santander to Malaga leg we usually stay at Tryp Hidalgo at Valdepenas - very reasonable, only €50 something per night. Takes dogs too. Parking is next to, or opposite your room, but no private garages as far as I am aware. Have stayed twice with no problems. Don't arrive hungry - dinner not served until 9pm!

This was once fully booked (!), so we had to press on to La Carolina. Here we stayed at NH La Perdiz. A bit more expensive, but the bonus was some rooms have private secure garages off the room. Again, dogs OK.

On the Malaga to Santander leg, we stay at Lerma, Hotel Alisa. This is a lovely stop for us with dogs - great walks by the river and around the town. This has secure underground parking (too low for our 4x4 with a roofbox) but we have always parked in front of the building with no problems to date after about 6 visits. Menu of the day only €13 inc everything - rooms €60.

Did the latter trip last week, so prices fairly up to date.

I hope this helps

Poppylou