Moving/buying Southern Spain

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
SomersetUK

Moving/buying Southern Spain

Postby SomersetUK » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:20 pm

My husband and I have retired early, and would like to live in Southern Spain in the winter months. We have booked flights and are going to find accommodation for 10 days early June to check out things, house prices, etc - we'd like to be by a seaside area. Nerja seems nice but so do many other areas along the Costa Tropical and Almeria. Any advice on what to do/see or places that are good to live for 6 months of year, (from residents especially) would be so welcome. Also we're just a little worried that we might find ourselves lonely - is it easy to iintegrate? (would try to learn the language but can't imagine we'd ever be fluent).

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:11 pm

If I wanted somewhere to spend 6 months in the winter I would probably choose Canary Isles over mainland Spain because of the weather.

I've only been to Nerja in the summer - I don't know what it would be like in the Winter but it is a nice enough resort. You won't need to worry about speaking Spanish if you stick to places where there are already lots of Brits, including Nerja.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:36 pm

Nerja is nice but property way overpriced. Rincon de la Victoria, Torre del Mar and Torrox Costa east of Malaga and La Herradura, Almunecar or Salobrena on Costa Tropical much better value. all have considerable Winter Brit presence.

Fat cat

Postby Fat cat » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 am

Dear SomersetUK

If you are going to stay over the winter even in South Spain get a place with heating and draft proofing! :lol:

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:49 pm

I have to agree with Valencia Paul. My parents live in Tenerife and I get sick of hearing that they are having a barbeque outside dressed in shorts whilst we are sat indoors with the heating blasting out.

Personally, I would rather be here however cold it is but it certainly suits my parents better. They have the sun all year, they don't have to speak Spanish and they have a very good social life. Property prices don't seem much different to those on the coast here.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:04 pm

Susi wrote:I have to agree with Valencia Paul. My parents live in Tenerife and I get sick of hearing that they are having a barbeque outside dressed in shorts whilst we are sat indoors with the heating blasting out.

Personally, I would rather be here however cold it is but it certainly suits my parents better. They have the sun all year,
I think they had a gap in the sun in December, when tropical storm Delta ripped through the island.! ;-) It was the time friends of ours chose to holiday there, loads of the island was without electricity.
http://es.news.yahoo.com/051129/185/4flu0.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:47 am

Many people happily migrate to the Spanish mainland for the winter months but having lived for many years in both the Canaries and the C.D.Sol, climate wise I'd recommend the Canaries every time.
The weather can be fairly cold a dreary at times on the mainland and apartments generally are not geared up for winter weather, whereas in the Canaries the temp rarely drops below 16 degree's.
Yes it can rain in winter, generally at the end of Nov and early Feb but for much of the time you can get away with shorts and t shirts up until 4/5 o'clock.
The cost of living, eating out, alcohol and petrol is also cheaper on the islands, the resorts are busy and generally the locals are very friendly.
Have a happy retirement, wherever you choose.

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:30 pm

The Canaries are very pleasant, I'm sure, though I've never spent any time there. However, what is there to do or see that's going to occupy you for months on end? In Andalucia you have not only the fantastic scenery and landscape but also the history and culture of the cities - Granada, Malaga, Cordoba, Seville, Cadiz etc, etc.

The weather on the mainland may be colder, but it won't be as cold as the UK..... :wink: