Adventures of Morocco : Travel guide to Morocco

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
elissa2000

Adventures of Morocco : Travel guide to Morocco

Postby elissa2000 » Sat May 20, 2006 4:46 pm

Advertising Content Removed by Admin

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat May 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Forgive my ignorance here but is there a point to the above posting?

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat May 20, 2006 6:29 pm

Maybe to give those who want to take a trip to Morocco some idea of where to stay etc? :roll:

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat May 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Who requested it?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 20, 2006 8:05 pm

It's the poster's first post so he/she has obviously registered in order to peddle his/her wares, though why anyone should want to travel to Morocco as a matter of choice is beyond me. Image

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sat May 20, 2006 9:28 pm

I was trying to make that point, it's obviously someone who want's to get a cheap ad, why else would they do it, although some don't get it. As you say why would anyone want to travel there anyway :roll:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Adventures of Morocco

Postby gavilan » Sun May 21, 2006 4:13 pm

dont know why some of you are reluctant to go to Morocco .... have only been to Fez and Chechouen but they are absolutely fascinating and remember we live in Al-Andalus ... which still has many things directly inherited from the Arabs who came from North Africa 711AD ... round here in the Axarquia there are many villages with Muslim minarets and arabic fountains and there is still the old silk route through the Sierras where raw silk (produced in Muslim villages) was taken to Granada to be spun into fine fabric and many of the fruits etc we now eat were introduced by the Muslims. Also the spanish language has some 8000 words of arabic origin ... I could continue ..... but if you might now be slightly more interested in our Muslim/Arabic/Moroccan origins ... you might enjoy reading 'Andalus' by Jason Webster
gavilan

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun May 21, 2006 6:03 pm

I second that emotion. Morocco is fascinating. If you need convincing Google for 'morocco bound' and have a look at the second site.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sun May 21, 2006 6:31 pm

It must be 12 years since I was in Morocco. We booked a package tour - one week in a 4 star hotel in Tangier. We knew we wanted to tour around so I also booked a hire car for 6 days.

Tangier was definitely heavy going - I tried every approach to dealing with the street kids such as being polite, completely ignoring them and then finally pushing them out of the way. All to no avail "hey meester, you want your face slashed, hey meester you f**king racist" etc. etc.

Anyway, we left Tangier in our little Citroen AX and did a 1000 mile tour taking in several coastal towns and ending up in Marakesh. We had a great time but when we got back to the hotel in Tangier the people who had stayed there for a week were at their wit's end and several people who were on a two week stay were begging to be allowed to go home a week early.

http://lexicorient.com/morocco/tangier.htm

I would avoid Tangier unless you are prepared to use a guide.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun May 21, 2006 6:38 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote: I would avoid Tangier unless you are prepared to use a guide.
Yes you definitely need a guide for Tangier, if you entered the Casbah which is a must see you would never find your way out again. The guides also do quite a succesful job of keeping 'those lovely little children' out of your way.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sun May 21, 2006 6:48 pm

Yes exactly - I used to think you would only need a guide so you don't get lost. In reality, having a guide is the only way to avoid constant hassle!
They are not cheap either!

"Hey meester, you in Africa now - what's your problem?" :wink:

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun May 21, 2006 8:46 pm

I've visited Morocco three times once in the sixties, once in the eighties and once in the nineties, my original trip (in the sixties was fine) in the eighties I could handle it, the last time I was there (in 95) I was constantly harassed, followed (by would be guides) and verbally abused because I refused their "services" whilst one could argue that " this is their way of life" and " they have to make a living " it can also be argued that "this is my holiday" and I don't want to feel threatened or harassed by anyone, if I want to take a trip around the Casbah or whatever, I want to do it on my terms.
I have holidayed in Turkey in recent years and will not go back for the same reason, harassment, By looking in a shop window I am merely expressinng my interest in what they have to offer, but they seem to think that I have unlimited funds and I am prepared to hand them over to them in exchange for a tacky memento or another equally useless piece of rubbish.
Sorry if this a very negative posting but it is down to personal taste and when I'm on holiday I want to relax this is not possible (nowadays) in Morocco!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 21, 2006 9:03 pm

I feel the same as Sol y sombra, getting a guide is not a solution as they want you to visit their friends and relatives shops. Don't like to typecast but these places are all the same, Egypt, Tunisia etc. There seems to be the mentality that because you are western they have a right to grope you cheat you or be downright confrontational.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sun May 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Morocco aside...
jason webster's book "andalus"
is simply shallow & incredibly overrated
and is the primary reason
i haven't read "duende"...

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sun May 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Katy you're right about the guide taking you to a relative's shop - carpet shop in my case. I don't like getting hassled either. A workmate just returned from Turkey and said he got pestered all the time but it doesn't sound as bad as Morocco from what he said.

Solysombra

Postby Solysombra » Sun May 21, 2006 9:30 pm

We were in Marmaris two years ago, luckily outside of the main tourist area, however other than bars and restaurants we were hasselled at every retail outlet there was, I particularly don't like the slimey, smarmy way my wife was treated, in one leather shop I told the salesman to stop touching my wife or we would leave, he refused to desist so we left, no sale no money, the problem is they never learn :roll:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Adventures of Morocco

Postby gavilan » Mon May 22, 2006 9:35 am

I really seem to have stirred up a hornets nest! ... did not have all that trouble when I visited in 2004 ... yes we paid for a guide to show us around old city of Fez at first but he was delightful, courteous and very well informed ... also spoke several languages as did many other people we met ... after then we found our own way around except for the evening we tried to find a certain restaurent ... failed ... so asked young man where we could eat ... he took us through increasingly smaller and narrower back lanes and even I was beginninng to worry ... then he opened a door which I had not even noticed and led us into the most magical house/restaurent I have ever seen ... and the food was delicious and not expensive ... and he came back 2 hours later to collect us and show us way back to main gate!
and if you dont like 'Andalus' ... try Iberian Resources Online
gavilan
by the way 'we' were 2 women!

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Mon May 22, 2006 10:29 am

We made the terrible mistake of going to Tunisia for 2 weeks in the mid 90's, it was the worst holiday I've ever had. you could'nt go anywhere without being harrased, no peace on the beach either as the peddlers pestered and prodded to gain your attention.
It didnt feel safe even close to the hotel, we went for a stroll just outside the hotel grounds one afternoon and a guy dragged a live sheep out of his house and cut it's throat in the gutter, ugghhh.
We also felt so sorry for any single women in our hotel as there was a permanant queue of men waiting to chat up every women between the age of 18 to 80 in order to get there free entry into the UK.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon May 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Our guide was absolutely charming too. Authentically dressed and obviously very well respected by his fellow countrymen. It was a wonderful experience.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Adventures of Morocco

Postby gavilan » Mon May 22, 2006 12:40 pm

thank you Safeashouses I had begun to think I was the only person to ever enjoy Morocco!
gavilan