Tolls from Malaga to Estapona

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tolls from Malaga to Estapona

Postby jan400 » Sun May 21, 2006 12:22 pm

Can anyone tell me why the cost of tolls on the Malaga - Estapona road change.

I came out in November and paid around 8€ in total, at Easter it was nearer 12€ and then this last week it's back to around 8€

Bandy
Resident

Postby Bandy » Sun May 21, 2006 12:34 pm

:evil: the price is put up over the holiday periods. i travel on this road frequently as the carretara is ................well you know !!
peajes are the same the world over with locals not wanting to pay. the result is a wonderfully clear road from malaga to estepona {and beyond}and a journey time cut by a third or more. if it's any consalation it is still 3 euros less than a bellini at harry's bar in venice :lol:
is the sun over the yardarm yet ?

Alan
Tourist

Postby Alan » Sun May 21, 2006 12:36 pm

The tolls change because there are low and high season rates. High season is Christmas, Easter and June, July, August and September.

However, if you are a regular user and it can be seen that you go through a toll at least 64 times in the previous four months, either by paying with a credit card or using the electronic tag which allows you to go through the toll without stopping, then the low season rate applies irrespective of the time of year.

There are also discounts for regular use, eg after the tenth passage through a toll in any one month the next five passages are at a 5% discount, the following five at 10% discount and so on.

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Sun May 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Thanks everyone, that explains it and it also means that it will be the higher price for my next visit in August then, just my luck!!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun May 21, 2006 4:40 pm

it also means that it will be the higher price for my next visit in August then, just my luck!!
You could always travel on the carretera with the rest of us. :roll:

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Sun May 21, 2006 6:08 pm

and use what you've saved in toll fees on fuel. :roll:

The only time I wouldn't suggest using the peage is at night if unaccompanied.

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Sun May 21, 2006 11:07 pm

No - I'll moan about the cost but I'll still use the road as it does make the journey so much shorter!!

Thanks everyone

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Mon May 22, 2006 9:38 am

safeashouses wrote:The only time I wouldn't suggest using the peage is at night if unaccompanied.
Just out of interest, has there been a history of problems for unaccompanied drivers on this road at night ? I used it recently and was able to cover the distance between Malaga and San Roque in next to no time at night and noticed that there was hardly any traffic. :P

By the way, the Autopista Costa del Sol has it's own website showing the tolls etc:
http://www.autopistadelsol.com/ausol1/prices.htm

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon May 22, 2006 12:23 pm

No problems that I am aware of, it's purely because of the lack of traffic on it that I wouldn't like to breakdown in the dark alone.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Mon May 22, 2006 8:35 pm

safeashouses wrote:No problems that I am aware of, it's purely because of the lack of traffic on it that I wouldn't like to breakdown in the dark alone.
Oh ok.

deckhand

Postby deckhand » Tue May 23, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi, I asked a similar question on an earlier post, and somebody gave me the website www.autopistadelsol.com which gave me all the answers