Almunecar (again)!!

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
shehog
Tourist

Almunecar (again)!!

Postby shehog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:32 am

I have now booked my flight to Malaga for 14 August next year and am still thinking of going to Almunecar.

However all info I am reading says it is absolutely packed in August. All Spain is packed in August, but is Almunecar even more horrendous?

Is there anyone reading this who lives in Almunecar who could write with information and also tell me the best part of town to stay
many thanks

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:04 pm

Almunecar is a lovelly Spanish town We nearly bought a house there some years ago. Plenty of hotels, they have just finished a new 4 or 5 star there. I have not been there for a couple of years but you still used to get a tapa with every drink you purchased in the old town. If you google the area you will find plenty of places to stay. It will be busy but not like torremolinos or those type of areas.

shehog
Tourist

almunecar (again)

Postby shehog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:56 pm

thanks for your info.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:00 pm

You might find the following link helpful.

http://www.andalucia.com/province/grana ... r/home.htm

Almunecar does get busy in August, but that is probably true of the whole of southern Spain :) Most of the Spanish take their holidays in August (too hot to work?) and many holiday in Almunecar.......... so it must have lots to offer :lol: The local fiesta also takes place. The parking is horrendous but on the up side is the extra entertainment, buzz, fireworks etc. etc.
Sandramay

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:05 pm

Yes, it does get crowded in August. The normal population of the town is 25000. In August it gets nearer to 200,000.

I guess that proves it's pretty popular! 90% of the visitors are Spanish.

There are miles of beaches, loads of good restaurants and bars - all of which serve free Tapas with a drink.

The official website http://www.almunecar.info/index_en.html in English is quite good.

Another option is La Herradura, about 5km west which is smaller and arguably nicer, certainly prettier with a beautiful bay - still very busy and Spanish in the summer but you can still find room to park on the beach.

Sid

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

almuñecar

Postby gronc » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:07 pm

I live in Almuñecar and it certainly is very busy in July and August. I visit La Herradura quite often and noticed that it is a lot quieter and also is just around the bay from Almuñecar, about 10 mins by car.