BA excess baggage charges up to 364 Euros for 1 bag !

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

BA excess baggage charges up to 364 Euros for 1 bag !

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm

British Airways risks incurring the wrath of its passengers by adding £240 to the cost of a long-haul return flight if a passenger puts two bags in the aircraft's hold.

From Tuesday, BA passengers will also pay an extra £120 on short-haul return flights and £60 on domestic return flights if they take two bags on to the plane.

Many of the airline's passengers are only expected to learn of the new charges when they check in at airports next week.

The rule means that customers will be able to put a bag with a maximum weight of 32kg in the hold - reducing to 23kg from September 30.

They will have to pay the extra charges even if the combined weight of the two bags is below the limit.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Same as Easyjet or Ryanair so what's the problem?

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:21 am

ryan

because They charge about 7.50 for a fare that could be 20-30 quid. BA's fares are considerably more, the fare to US is 500£+ now plus up to 200£ for a second bag.

its ridiculous the american airlines will clean up across the channel and budget in Europe.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:25 am

From Tuesday, BA passengers will also pay an extra £120 on short-haul return flights and £60 on domestic return flights if they take two bags on to the plane.
Actually from next Tuesday, economy class passengers travelling on some (less than half) of BA's long-haul routes will have to pay £120 per bag to check in an extra piece of luggage. For short-haul flights, the levy will be £60 and for domestic flights the charge will be £30. The opposite of what you say Bong. The rule excludes travel to USA and elderly/disabled can still take two bags. I flew with them last week and I think their 23 kilos allowance is great after Ryan Air. Who needs two bags for the hold each these days if you have that allowance for one?
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 am

lis48 I copied it from the news I didnt make it up and its your info is contrary to what it says in many articles.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 pm

samizdat wrote:ryan

because They charge about 7.50 for a fare that could be 20-30 quid. BA's fares are considerably more, the fare to US is 500£+ now plus up to 200£ for a second bag.

its ridiculous the american airlines will clean up across the channel and budget in Europe.
News to me that Easyjet and Ryanair fly trans-Atlantic routes, so what's your point? And yet, both LCCs implemented Greedy Gordon's stealth tax recently and BA didn't.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:38 pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:39 am Post subject:
samizdat wrote:ryan
Quote:
Quote:

News to me that Easyjet and Ryanair fly trans-Atlantic routes, so what's your point?

learn to read! before posting sarcasm - its doesn't say easyjet and ryan air fly transatlantic~! it says us airlines fly transatlantic.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:29 pm

I don't need to read to know that comparing BA's transatlantic routes with the routes the LCCs fly is ridiculous. These fictitious low fares only exist on routes during times that people in the real world can't use because we're too busy working. Try comparing an Easyjet flight to Malaga on a Saturday morning to that of BA - hardly any difference.

The US airlines will follow the market leader's example and at the end of the day, if some muppet can't travel with on suitcase instead of taking up other pax's allocation then they shouldn't be allowed on in the first place.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 pm

Bongtrees wrote:lis48 I copied it from the news I didnt make it up and its your info is contrary to what it says in many articles.
What articles/news? Look at BA´s own site.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bg ... #allowance
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

teralin
Resident

Postby teralin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:51 pm

BA will continue to allow two free bags per passenger to the USA, Caribbean and some other destinations. To do otherwise would be corporate suicide. Check their website.

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 pm

Anyone who needs to take more than one suitcase with them, anywhere in the world has a serious vanity problem, I went to Bangkok for one month last year and took exactly sisxteen kilos of luggage with me, plus laptop and a very small piece of hand luggage, having said that you can get your whole weeks laundry done there for 500 baht or 11 euros :)

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Prime Mover..........I will PM my Mrs's number to you. Have a word with her and teach her how to do it.
I end up walking out of Malaga Airport like a *beep* pack mule :!:

Kenny

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:00 pm

A lot of men don't care if they wear the same clothes every day but I think women are more selective and like to make an effort. I'm sure there are a number of people envious of your capabilities prime mover, it doesn't make them vain - just prepared for all eventualities. :roll:
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:00 pm

We must have a serious vanity problem. My husband is worse than I am but at least I wear my stuff, he rotates about 3 items and everything else isn't worn.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Shukran wrote:A lot of men don't care if they wear the same clothes every day
Most men and women obviously do change their clothes every day and many travellers like to take advantage of lower prices and or availabilty of goods in other countries especially USA and need 2 bags or even more.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Travelling to the USA we always ensure we take an almost empty suitcase. There are so many bargains.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:23 pm

Will my spotted hanky on a stick be liable for these new charges :?: :oops:

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:Prime Mover..........I will PM my Mrs's number to you. Have a word with her and teach her how to do it.
I end up walking out of Malaga Airport like a *beep* pack mule :!:

Kenny
Kenny, do you mean packing the luggage or doing the laundry?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Stop whinging!, you can recoup the fee easily by renting out empty suitcase space to illegal immigrants.
Don't forget to drill some holes in first to comply with Health & Safety! :)

prime mover

Postby prime mover » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Shukran wrote:A lot of men don't care if they wear the same clothes every day but I think women are more selective and like to make an effort. I'm sure there are a number of people envious of your capabilities prime mover, it doesn't make them vain - just prepared for all eventualities. :roll:
Shukran, are you suggesting that I would forsake my personal hygiene for the sake of a few miserable euros in excess baggage, women are not more selective, just more vain, a woman will frequently take with her a selection of clothes they would like to, or may possibly need to, or may possibly want to wear, they will then purchase, at their destination a further selection of clothes they would like to, or possibly need, or possibly want to wear at a future, unspecified date, this is vanity and also the reason why make up, clothes, magazines and kitchen designs are aimed at women, it is also the reason why women frequently moan that they have no money.
Having said all that I adore women, in their natural habitat, the kitchen , at the stove, and ironing board, I await your reply, which will, no doubt, be swift and vicious 8)