weather

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Cádiz
Resident

weather

Postby Cádiz » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06 am

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... are_btn_tw

This is an article i came across but forgot at the time to ask the people who live there all of the time as i just come and go.
Is there an immidiate water crisis in Spain?

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: weather

Postby gavilan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:05 am

dont know about other areas in Andalucia... but in the Axarquia here, there are man=made factors which exacerbate the drought and water shortages eg illegal bore holes draining the aquifers, drought hardy olive trees ripped up to make way for water hungry avocado and mango trees ... so draining the last drop of water from the mountain streams ... friends who live in the campo outside Competa already have limited water supply under order from the Town Hall ... around here, I can still hear/see people using pressure washers to clean walls etc ... and so it goes on ... we will never learn!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Lake Viñuela is now only 13% full. Another article in today's Sur https://www.surinenglish.com/andalucia/ ... 09-nt.html

I also read that Rincon de le Victoria is turning off all its beach showers from Monday as well to save water.

Of course here, the terracing of the hills continues with new water tanks being installed. However, I have seen the water tanker around here more refilling water depositos and our farmer neighbour has not planted up his huge field with any veg this year. I would hazard a guess that in the 11 years we've lived at this house there have been millions of mangoes planted as some of the new plantations are huge, taking up entire hillsides that were once left fallow with just a few old olive trees on them. A tiny field beside us has 200 trees on it so it's easy to see just how many surround us in our small valley.

We've had very few days of what we call 'proper' rain over the past winter. It's so rare we write it on the calender when we get a good day of rain and that is only a handful of times. We first bought a house here in the mid 1990s when a 5 year drought had just broken and boy did it rain, washing away the A7 around Malaga and most of the unmade tracks around here. It used to be so bad we had to bring over wet weather clothes, leggings and kaguls, because it rained like monsoon every winter holiday we used to have in the 1990s. We had sufficient rain to save in tanks and live on for 8 months of a year in the early 2000s as we didn't have any water supply to the house. Certainly couldn't live that way now. Our neighbours traditional well has dried up and not sure when that will start to come back to usable levels.

We've had the second hottest July on record as well that's not helped.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:41 pm

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:52 pm

The Junta de Andalucia have asked Madrid for help with water. They likened it to the gas crisis in Germany.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 pm

I did read that the GENA environmental group here warned 5 years ago about the water crisis, but as far as I am aware there's been a lot of talk about schemes to pipe water here, but nothing has come from it. Watching the Spanish weather forecast I am surprised at how low reservoirs are in the north east of the country, as Barcelona seems to get a lot of bad storms all year round.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:35 am

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:19 am

Probably replacing them with mangoes :lolno: :crazy: I have read that mangoes need less water than avocados. Joking aside, it is a very worrying problem.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:16 pm

I have wondered if A.com might set up a separate 'environment/sustainable/ecological' section ... where we might rant about the drought and destruction going on in el campo ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:56 pm

You can rant in the Amigos lounge.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:30 pm

Sid: thank you for reminding me ... but methinks to have a discreet/targeted/focused section would bring together and give a picture of what the issues are in Andalucia

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 pm

olive wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:52 pm The Junta de Andalucia have asked Madrid for help with water. They likened it to the gas crisis in Germany.
What does help mean in this instance? funding or actual water...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:57 pm

Funding!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 am

The drama in the Uk press about the temperatures in the Uk is laughable..The BBC has a headline can you refuse to work! For many self employed people it's a case of can they afford not work whenever the temperatures rise...What about winter and low temperatures for those who have no option but to work outside, no drama in that! I guess it will never change with the press, good news never sells papers..

olive
Andalucia Guru

Weather

Postby olive » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:14 pm

Just had a couple of days in Malaga. Not as hot as inland but so humid. Fortunately we took numerous changes of clothes.

Is the high humidity normal for the Costa del Sol.? How do you cope!

On the way home we observed the haze ( calima?)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weather

Postby Wicksey » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:00 pm

In our experience it comes and goes Olive. The other day it was 72% humidity and it felt awful (as we did as well). However, this afternoon, despite it being hazy (possible calima) the humidity was only 20% outside. I wouldn't say it is usually humid here, but when there's a sea mist or heavy cloud it does make it worse. Currently it's only 26% humidity but it's been up to 37 here this afternoon and is baking hot outside.
We just stay indoors in the airconditioned living room, it is just too hot to do anything. Night time is bad too and the house doesn't drop below 29 so we have fans on us all night long too. It's felt like a long summer and we're hating it more than ever this year. Doesn't help we don't have any water at the moment either so can't keep jumping in the shower.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weather

Postby gavilan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:28 pm

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:17 am

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:06 pm

It's usually cooler on the coast. During the recent heatwave the coastal temperatures here were normal - around 32c. It's more humid than inland because the wind usually comes off the sea. Incidentally the sea temperature at the moment is 29c which is 5 degrees above normal. That will give rise to some serious storms (Gota Fria etc) in due course..

That said, yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far at just under 40c.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:02 pm

I remember when the 1990s drought broke in the winter of 1995/6 and the rain was like monsoon and washed everything away. They were saying about potential flash floods in the UK as the ground is so dry, so you can imagine the damage it would do here. Having said that, I would welcome a wet winter this year!