avocados and water

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Re: avocados and water

Postby gavilan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:12 pm

I think I recall that he got fed up with us and left A.com... cant remember why ... perhaps we weren't purist enough ?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:58 pm

Crikey. That long ago? Still, next year I will have been a member of a.com for 20 years. I feel a party coming on ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:26 pm

Lavanda wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:58 pm Crikey. That long ago? Still, next year I will have been a member of a.com for 20 years. I feel a party coming on ...
Me too :wave:

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:30 pm

Long service medals and presentation ceremony?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:05 am

Sounds good to me!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:58 am

I had rather hoped someone would give me suggestions/advice re green filamentous algae ... not remind us how much older some of us are now than when we joined A.com!!!

and this made me laugh ... especially the use of 'anywhere'
https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 50722.html

and we have had so far 4.6mm rain

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:59 am

oops ... think I copied the wrong link
https://www.surinenglish.com/malaga/sto ... 34-nt.html

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi,
If you have the plant algea ID correct, then plenty of info if you Google it, also ChatGPT can help you.

PS: good to see some " old timers" still active on the site.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:42 pm

I have googled it and looked at remedies ... no way am I going to put chemicals in that stream ... so have to do it by hand/rake ...but was wondering if anyone had experience of said algae in their stream/pool etc ...

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:11 pm

Can’t help on the algae.

6 litros here so far and still raining. While we were away, a new pumping solar panel went up for a well drllled last year plus trenching across olive grove. Today on the adacent finca, a new borehole is being drilled ( later the vlllage alcalde said it was to replace the adjacent one that has ( astonishingly :roll: ) run dry. That makes two more within a mile of our house. Our area is not unique.

I had an interesting chat with a farmer near Zamora last month. He was irrigating ( flooding) his fincas of wheat and beans for the last time as the “ government has said no irrigation from the Duero. From 1st June.” I guess most farmers will be PP.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:24 pm

more boreholes ... insanity ... methinks they wont stop til not a drop of water left ... here I expect the farmers will extend their plastic pipes in the stream bed right up into the mountains ... to the source/spring ... before they finally realise there is no more water!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:24 pm

If we think for a moment that no one has ever invented water nor destroyed it, then we can assume that there is still the same amount of water in the world as there was millions of years ago at the start. All we need to do is distribute it around the globe properly.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Lavanda wrote: ' ... All we need to do is distribute it around the globe properly.' ... that could be said for a lot of things ... but human greed gets in the way!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:00 pm

Lavanda wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:24 pm If we think for a moment that no one has ever invented water nor destroyed it, then we can assume that there is still the same amount of water in the world as there was millions of years ago at the start. All we need to do is distribute it around the globe properly.
True but how? Spain has more water in the north but no national grid. Imagine organising a grid across countries. The EU might just be able to manage it.

As wet areas become wetter and dry areas drier, something will need to be done. It will be the stuff of wars.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:54 am

?so what do we do? ... sit back and watch it all go to s--- ?

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:43 pm

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:44 pm

and another thing ... on their Facebook page, Alcaucin Town Hall reminded everybody that it was World Environment Day last Monday, 5 June, ... and asked for volunteers to pick up/collect rubbish from around Puente don Manuel ... then next day, they proudly announced how many bags of rubbish they had collected ... if I was a member of Facebook, I would have suggested that it would have been better for the environment if people stopped throwing rubbish in roads and hiilsides in the first place! .... .... there are some other places I would like to blow up, not just an oil pipe line!!!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:57 pm

I am with you there. A lot of folk with fincas here live in marble palaces in the local town. They even litter their own fincas. The concept of leaving a litre beer bottle to crack in the sun amazes me. One farmer near me put all of his rubbish in a carrier bag in one of his trees. Next day a fox had ripped it all apart.

Worse are the idiots out for a walk and they mount discarded beer tins on the branches of vegetation thus prompting other morons to lob their litter out instead of taking home for the wife( controversial!) to dispose of.

We take a carrier bag with us on our dog walks. It is a losing battle.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:54 pm

our hamlet is having its fiesta on saturday ... am thinking of putting up a poster which says... 'please take your litter home with you (especially as most of you live within spitting distance of fiesta centre) ... if you throw it in street/hillside, it will have to wait a year to be picked up by volunteers on the next World Environment Day, June 2024

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:57 pm

last comment from me ...
just to say thank you to those who have commented/contributed to my rants about avocados/water/stream/drought/boreholes/basura ... I really do appreciate being able to express here on A.com how painful and powerless I feel ... and to know that I am not alone with those feelings ... thank you again