e-bikes ...

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

e-bikes ...

Postby gavilan » Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:24 pm

am beginning to find the hills around here are long and steep ... ?has anyone any experience/advice re buying/ using an e-bike?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: e-bikes ...

Postby Enrique » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:14 pm

Hi gavilan,
Before you move on to an e-bike have you changed your largest rear sprocket for a larger one........ :?:

E-bike what to get........... an electric version of your current model/type........... electric hybrid bike

If you're into road bikes the Orbea Gain type would be worth a look.

Next is the price........ a branded one can be expensive.

The upside .............. probably only use 25% of your current effort to achieve the same speed / climbing time.

Mrs E a non cyclist had no problem on the long climbs in Gran Canaria and the 25% ( 1 in 4 in old money) bits that reared up from time to time.

We used a BH hybrid type bikes in the Gran Canaria tour and a Scot MTB off-road in UK.

The main thing is to get out riding and enjoying it.............. :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:58 pm

My OH bought an electric mountain bike from Decathlon and has been very pleased with it. They are not too expensive compared to some other makes. His is their own brand, Rockrider.

We've hired them before in the Canaries and were so impressed we bought our own, but we are up very steep hills and off-road so I won't ride up here. It's one of the reasons we want to live somewhere less steep and on better roads so we can go out together for rides. I've barely used mine since I got it unfortunately.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:43 pm

thanks very much to Enrique and Wicksey forr your helpful and encouraging responses ... am thinking of buying an electric motor for existing bike ... it's all new to me, so going slowly ... like up the hills here!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:09 pm

I bought a Specialized Creo Super Light last year. Fantastic bike and you ride up any hill using the assistance. Most of the time i am in Eco mode but Sport and Turbo do come in handy when your knackered and hit a big hill. Downside it was £4000 but they are the best on the market.
One bit of advice the less they weigh the more you pay. Mine is 10KG so I can ride as a normal bike if battery went flat, some weigh 24KG and are almost impossible to ride without assistance.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:00 pm

My OH's Rockrider weights 22.5kgs. It get up the steepest roughest hills around us very easily and it was around 1700€. He hasn't ridden it for a while as he has had a couple of muscle strains that took a year to recover, and now it's too hot.

Even my bike which is more of a town bike with smaller wheels is 22kg. I bought a folding one as we thought we'd take it down to the Costa in the car for me to ride, which we have done a few times, but we would both rather just cycle from our front door. (I did fall off mine when I first got it and had tried to ride up our steep hill and ended up in A&E. It's the first time I'd ever fallen off like that in a lifetume of cycling and I rather lost my confidence for some time afterwards.)

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:51 am

gavilan wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:43 pm thanks very much to Enrique and Wicksey forr your helpful and encouraging responses ... am thinking of buying an electric motor for existing bike ... it's all new to me, so going slowly ... like up the hills here!
I had a Pendix electric assist https://pendix.com fitted to my Thorn Sterling MTB about 18 months ago. Not the cheapest but very high quality. I use it on the days I feel my age. Other days I continue to ride my Kinetics Brompton MTB. I do sometimes feel a bit of a fraud on the electric assist but I rationalise that I should be able to keep going on my daily rides until an older age than without it. Recommened.
Brian.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:13 pm

E bikes are very efficient and certainly useful, the problem is that unless you have a very secure facility to store it it likely to be a target for thieves, my mate left his outside a local shop for five minutes and it was gone!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:20 pm

Manchesteral thanks for that comment ... I had thought I would need a stout padlock and chain! ... ?do I need a helmet? ... and can I attach a small trailer to said ebike?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:54 pm

Hi gavilan,

"do I need a helmet?".......... thought you would have had one already if you ride outside of a town.
It's compulsory to wear one outside of a town in Spain.

Ref: ..........Article 118 of General Traffic Regulations
"Helmets are mandatory, outside of urban areas. Riding without one can incur a fine of 200 euro. For under 16s, helmets are mandatory even in urban areas"

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:33 pm

Enrique ... have got one but never worn it or ever been stopped ...

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:19 am

Never ever ride without a helmet

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:08 am

Hi,
"Never ever ride without a helmet"......... I second that

On a hot day soak a bandana in water and wear under helmet, Cooling effect from evaporation........... :idea:

Worth a read.................

https://www.headway.org.uk/news-and-cam ... -accident/

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:59 am

costakid and Enrique ... point taken ...

and Enrique: have sent you a pm

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:04 pm

update: have decided against an e-motor kit ... talked with ebike shop in Torre del Mar ... he said he was tired of people bringing kits back for him to fit cos too difficult for amateurs! ... found a ebike shop in Malaga ... who recommended a Biwbik model GANTE ...
'sit up and beg' type ... know it weighs a bit more but motor good for hills around here ... ?has anyone any experience of this ebike?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:30 pm

Hi gavilan,

See if you can have a demo and get a ride in , also see how you handle pushing it around and into the house/car
They are quite heavy upwards of 28kg

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:37 pm

had thought of that Enrique but sadly Malaga ebike shop do not keep this model in stock ... have to order first before trying out ... but will try other ebikes of similar weight ,,, before paying a deposit on the one in question

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:51 pm

Hi gavilan,
Check out the real life range of any bikes that might buy, if you live out of town in a hilly area then range will be greatly reduced.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:53 pm

good thought Enrique ... thanks

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:55 pm

They are incredibly heavy. It takes two of us to lifts ours anywhere, and that's without the batteries attached.

It's best to have a go first if you haven't tried an ebike before. Mine has the motor on the front wheel and being so powerful it can skid a bit. I've yet to use it in top power mode (there's only 4). My OH's is much better with power assist where the motor seems to be where the pedals are and feels more stable than mine. You don't need so many gears with electric either. Our old mountain bikes used to have 21 gears but my OH's electric only has nine now and I think mine has 6 which is plenty. You use a combination of power levels and gears, so it does take a bit of practice. I would definitely try to rent one or try out a few from a local shop first. There are hire shops in Torre del Mar
https://biciterraneo.com/
https://www.bike-to-the-future.com/rent-e-bikes-bikes
https://www.cctbikerental.com/rentals/t ... e-rentals/

It was after hiring ones on holiday that we bought ours as we were so impressed. I look forward to the day when I can get back on mine!