Medical cover

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Medical cover

Postby marchamona » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:06 am

Any tips for private Medical Cover, which does costs less than 400 euros per month(Bupa)??

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:21 am

Avoid BUPA International unless you are a travelling business man and/or it´s paid by the company. Even with those high rates, they don´t cover preventative tests (mammograms etc.) or pre existing conditions. Try Sanitas at about €60/70 a month but you will have to pay for medicines and a basic doctor fee for each visit. I had to join BUPA when I first arrived here as the cheaper companies are obviously more restrictive on whom they accept, but then I transferred to Sanitas after a year of BUPA as they accept existing BUPA members without query.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Prevision Medica - our policy has just been renewed after a MAJOR claim by hubby (ICU, 3 weeks in hospital stay, on going out patient Consultant care + 2 weekly GP visits) and annual cost for both of us is about Euro 1290.

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby marchamona » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks, I've heard of them and sent email request plus online request. So far no answers!

May just ring instead.

Bernipops
Tourist

Medical cover

Postby Bernipops » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:47 pm

I have just had a quote to change from BUPA in the UK to Sanitas and it is 182.90 Euros for me aged 57 and 285.90 for my husband aged 61. These costs are per month!!!! At £3.9K per year this is not cheap.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:52 pm

We've just had this quote by e.mail from an insurance company in Spain. We're both 56.

As requested I have prepared a quotation for you and your wife with the Sanitas classic plan. Sanitas are part of the Bupa group.

The classic plan covers you for all visits to the doctor plus all in and out patient treatment at a hospital.

Quotation as follows:-

Quarterly payment:- €333.02 (for both of you)

6 monthly payment:- €648.93

Annual payment:-€1267.58

In order to keep these premiums as low as possible, Sanitas charge co-payments of €12 per visit to the doctor and €24 per hospital visit, This policy is ideal for ex-pats who want peace of mind and wont be visiting the doctor that often.

There is another option where you don’t pay co payments but the premiums are much higher.

Bernipops
Tourist

Postby Bernipops » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 pm

The quote I had was for Sanitas Complete with no additional payments for doctors or hospital visits. I will ask them to requote. Thanks for the information.

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

English version

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:44 pm

Does anyone know how to get an english version of the provision medica site - I cant get the english version to work Maybe a weblink?
Thanks
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: English version

Postby marchamona » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 pm

I have the same problem. Tried the site on a few occasions but the language panel doesn't work.

Sent them a separate email, plus filled in a form online asking for quotations, but so far no replies.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:20 pm

We've had another quote from the same broker with a company called Medifiat.

Sanitas as pretty much the same as most other companies. I have obtained a quote for you from another company called Medifiat. They have quoted €65.00 each per month up to age 61. From 61 to 70 you would pay €95.00 each per month.

At the moment this is roughly the same as the Sanitas quote except that Medifiat do not charge the co-payments.

Sanitas base their premiums on the age you are when you join (up to age 65) and you only then pay the normal annual increase so in the long run Sanitas would probably work out cheaper.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:16 am

The English link of Prevision Medica has been down for a while.

We got our quote/policy through Knights Insurance in Nerja - branches all along the coast.

Prevision have been so very helpful and supportive this past few months - just so glad we took out their policy that covers Intensive Care treatment!

dawn
Andalucia.com Amigo

health insurance

Postby dawn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:06 pm

We have been quoted for Medifiatc too, but there seem to be differing levels of cover.
It appears that we are given a " card" to show at doctors or hospital visits to any on list of practitioners provided - without payment for treatment in advance of claim.
Does any one else have this plan?

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:20 pm

How is your husband Brenda after his recent illness - hope he's steadily improving?
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:20 pm

How kind of you to ask Shukran.

Ian is never going to be well again, and the longterm outlook is poor, but we are determined to make the most of whatever time we have. Live for today has become our motto and we intend to do a LOT of living!