Questions about living in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Mrs_T
Tourist

Questions about living in Spain

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi,
My husband and I are considering a move to Spain in a couple of years time. We are currently in our early-mid 20's.
In the UK we do quite well for ourselves, we by no means have a lavish lifestyle, but we're comfortable.
My husband has a good job as a web developer and I work part time. Pre-tax we earn just under £30,000.
Unfortunately our mortgage, bills, council tax, car tax&insurance and other general living costs seem to take up most of this money leaving us little to put into savings for a house in Spain.
Just wondering, if we were looking at living somewhere in the Malaga area (residential Spanish area as opposed to the resort areas), what sort of bills we'd have in Spain that we don't have in the UK and what we wouldn't have in Spain that we do have in the UK.
Also, not sure what sort of job ops (we're starting our research now, like I said, with the idea of moving out in a couple of years) would be out there for my husband in his line of work and what level of Spanish he'd need to get a good job, and what level of pay he could be expecting.

I'm considering (using degree qualifications I already have) a future in property valuations (for mortgages etc - not for estate agents!) or in actual property law (although this would involve another year of study in the UK before I'd be qualified). Is anyone aware of what qualifications are needed for these in Spain and how I could convert to these?

Another idea would be for my husband to continue working for his UK company - any time I've asked before for the implications of this the answer is usually very vague 'there are so many' or 'you don't want to know', which in all reality tells us nothing! Not sure if anyone on here might have more knowledge of this? What residency implications, tax implications etc. would we need to consider. What are all the areas we would need to consider.

Any help anyone might be able to give would be much appreciated!

Pigeon Tim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pigeon Tim » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Web-sites in Spain are still in the dark ages mind you so are most Spanish businesses so I wouldn't get your hopes up about that. He can live here and still work for his present company in the UK with no problems. He could pick up his gross pay in UK and pay tax here.

If you want any hope of a decent job over here then you will need to be fluent in Spanish and even then a local Spaniard would be above you in the pecking order.

Mrs_T
Tourist

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:18 pm

We know there are more things to take into consideration than that.
How would working in the UK affect our taxes - would he be paying tax in the UK and in Spain?

Also, how would working for a UK company affect his rights to Spanish pension, health care, residency etc.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:37 pm

There is a double taxation agreement so you would not pay twice. Re. Pension and health care you would not have any rights.

pdellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pdellis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:31 pm

My wife builds web sites for a UK company (as well as a small local client bank).

She has registered as automino (self-employed), here in Spain and pays taxes etc here. Her boss does a BACS transfer each month in euros, picking up the £25 transfer charge as part of her remuneration

Seems to work well with no hiccups to date (!!)

Mrs_T
Tourist

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 pm

Yeah, that's the problem we seem to come up against. If he was to work for his boss from the UK, he'd have to go back to the UK if he wanted any healthcare. Then when he's of age to receive pension, he'd get this from the UK would he if he'd been paying his tax and NI there?

As far as registering as self-employed is concerned, surely he can't do this and only work for one person? If he was to contract and freelance in the UK he'd have to travel a lot back and forwards but I think he'd then be able to register as self-employed?

julian
Andalucia Guru

health care

Postby julian » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:02 am

private health care is not expensive here, especially for those in their 20´s

Mrs_T
Tourist

Postby Mrs_T » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Anyone else got any more words of wisdom for us here???

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:19 pm

Open a good Mexican restaurant. Doesn't seem to be one here on the CDS. Would appeal to both Spanish and Europeans. Go spend 3 months in Mexico and work for free in a good restaurant to learn the ropes.
Second to working for a UK company from here it's what I would do.

julian
Andalucia Guru

mexivan

Postby julian » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:15 pm

there is an excellent mexican restuarant in marbella, just off the circunvalacion almost opposite the basketball stadium, it´s always busy so best to book !!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 pm

One opened in elviria, marbella last year and closed within a few months!

sunkissed
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sunkissed » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:04 pm

I thought Elviria was pretty quiet out of peak season with a relatively small population when you take out the holiday home owners? You would need to be somewhere with a good year round catchment

pdellis
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pdellis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:38 pm

If he were to register as automino here, he would need to pay Spanish Sociasl Security. This would enable him to qualify for the basic spanish state pension. Bearing in mind dependant upon his age, there may not be a British state pension by the time he comes to retire

Could he not work for his UK boss but invoice on a consultancy basis?

Dealer
Resident

Re: Questions about living in Spain

Postby Dealer » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 am

Mrs_T wrote:Hi,
My husband and I are considering a move to Spain in a couple of years time. We are currently in our early-mid 20's.
PRIORITY ONE:
Learn Spanish written and oral it will be easy as you are both young and you have two years. Once you can speak the lingo the move will be a lot smoother with better job opportunities.
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

johnwp
Andalucia.com Amigo

work uk live spain

Postby johnwp » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:56 pm

hello I know several couples who's husbands/partners work either in UK or for UK companies overseas (not in Spain) there tax, health pensions are dealt with in UK, they are registered in Spain under residencia but not for work. They submit tax forms which we all have to do especially if you own property, wealth tax, and you submit your earning from worldwide sources in your case UK. allowance is thus made,

ref to health its cheaper as you are both young to have private health in Spain for adults of my age its around 550e per year (many companies price varies)

Local Tax as in UK I pay approx 500e per yr depends on local town hall.
electric well 3 bed house with pool around 800e per year (depends on your band of electric, there are several)
Food is much cheaper than UK my bill for 2 + cat around 70e per wk and if you like cooking you get much fresher produce especially if you have local farmers, I get eggs,tomato's and peppers free.

Living away from the tourists areas is the better but quieter night life etc, but then car makes it easier to get around. (petrol 87e pr ltr around)

Eating out costs, these go from good quality local to expensive tourist traps catering for the local expats, using your local bar/restaurant helps you make friends and become part of the community.

Job wise as most have said if you are degree qualified and speak fluent Spanish then you stand as good a chance as anyone, at least under EU rules, I know 2 friends who work for Spanish banks at a high level both English and fluent Spanish speakers both have degrees in Spanish as well as some years in banking. they earn I believe in the 30,000e area.

Some UK banks on the coast like Abbey , Halifax Barclay's do some times advertise for mortgage advisers check with them, also have you thought of Gibraltar work there live Spain ?

I wish you both luck in your venture

Mrs_T
Tourist

Postby Mrs_T » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Thank you johnwp, very helpful.
I guess that would mean he could continue to work for his UK boss from Spain and then once out there he could look for another job once his Spanish had improved, but it would take the stress off trying to find a job for him before we'd move out there.

I know I said we're early-mid 20's, but we're not much into nightlife. We prefer a quiet night in with some friends, or a nice walk together / half a laugh in the park with friends when it's not cold enough to freeze ur nose off here!!

I'm working on my Spanish and trying to teach my husband. We're both planning on spending some time at a language school in Spain this summer and living with a Spanish family.

Gib is too British. We'd like a more Spanish area, away from the 'tourist traps', somewhere where the Spanish culture and lifestyle is still very evident. Getting harder to find I know, but it's what we'd be looking for.

It's not actually a job as a mortgage advisor I'd be looking, but as a surveyor.

bilbo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bilbo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:34 pm

sunkissed wrote:Open a good Mexican restaurant. Doesn't seem to be one here on the CDS.
I have always had a super meal at Nachos (Benalmadena Marina) - anyone else tried it before ??