House running costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:59 pm

Back to topic...statistic in paper today...In 2006 each Spaniard spent 1355€ on food(alimentacion domestica).. so around 112,17€/month....
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:47 pm

spanish hopes wrote:Am I the only person on here to offer succour and support to katy?

The poor , poor girl. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great word "succour" you hardly ever hear it in common use, I myself used it only a week ago, didn't I :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:04 pm

Personally I have to lean heavily in favour of Katy's stance, whilst I have no doubt that a budget of Hestons proportions is possible I doubt that this can be a healthy and satisfactory lifestlye, this is my view of course based on the realities of my own existence in the Marbella area (I do not have a fancy villa and do not, as a rule frequent expensive bars in Marbella, and never in Puerto Banus) and takes into account a full years total expenditure including flights home and "unusual" expenses!
Ah! the full english!!

Heston
Resident

cost of living

Postby Heston » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:50 pm

cheers Dido yes i dont need to justify...I have alot more coming in than going out ( how good is that!) always been carefull why have prada when you can have fake from the market at a fraction of the price!( sorry that sounded a bit chav!... but just an example!)

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:13 pm

silver wrote:Back to topic...statistic in paper today...In 2006 each Spaniard spent 1355€ on food(alimentacion domestica).. so around 112,17€/month....
Silver, this of course would include babies, young children and very old people who barely eat anything.

I got the impression from Hestons original posting that her quoted figures refer only to food, there was no mention of mortgages and other peripheral costs which would normally burden a young couple, Heston??
Ah! the full english!!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 pm

its not "justification" that anyone is looking for, just they are surprised at how cheap it is, and would probably like to know how its done!!

and 112 per month on food, per person, i take it that is an official figure - so on average a spaniard spends only 25 a week on food.. thats a cheap life really !

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:25 pm

katy, i think it was
some of the people can be alright part of the time
and part of the people can be alright some of the time
but all of the people can’t be alright all of the time...
i think abraham lincoln said that -

i’ll let you be in my dreams if i can be in yours...
i said that -

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:37 pm

katy wrote:You can fool some of the people some of the time
You can fool some of the people all of the time
But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.
Was this written by a Yorkshireman? it sounds as though it was.

Another one
I've been poor and I have been rich and rich is best.

At the end of the day people will only believe what they want to believe, tell them the streets are paved with gold in andalucia and no one should deny it. So long suckers.
Katy, I believe the original quotation was Benjamin Franklin (Nevada will no doubt persecute me for any mistakes) :wink:

"You can fool SOME of the people ALL of the time,
you can fool ALL of the people SOME of the time,
but you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time
Ah! the full english!!

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 pm

KATY-- of all things in all these posts the one thing i read that struck a cord with me-- i broke into a sweat -----when you mentioned DENTAL PROBLEMS--This is my biggest fear as i have such trouble with my teeth. I pay a lot of money here to pay attention to them (in my opinion!, but i know how this difers!) and feel sick at the thought of something happening to my teeth whilst living in Spain in the campo.
P.S. i was recently reading the history essays re: Andalucia on this forum by Lorenzo who explains the notion/history of free tapas there. These essays are well worth reading.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:41 pm

i think that katy was being facetious
(as i was in response)
but, your quote is from abraham lincoln
while mine was from bob dylan...

sorry 'bout that...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: running cost

Postby katy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Heston wrote:Hi Pirate

Good luck for October nice area you have bought in dont live too far away. My husband and I live on about 500euros per month inc gas electric food car van two dogs internet phone mobiles..we eat well ( Im no size zero!!!) and have a good social life...dont srimp like we did in the uk if we cant be bothered cooking we eat..cos we can! Could only afford to go out once a week in the UK and we lived in the north! Around you there are good supermarkets and loads of fresh food markets you will soon settle into knowing wheres best to shop for your goodies
x
I think it includes everything but as promised I shan't be drawn into this topic again :lol:

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:43 pm

"chord"--not "cord"--and yes - i did have to add this!
anyway, anyway, love from me.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:11 pm

Nevada, ah, yes of course "Talkin world war 111 blues" from the "freewheelin" album, got it in my collection but I haven't listened to it for ages, though I did listen to "Desire" a couple of nights ago, btw, what was your opinion of the Scorcese project with him? still a mystery isn't he,
Mr Zimmerman I mean!
Ah! the full english!!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Nevada, like the Dylan one better :)

Annie D, I had the dentist from hell here in spain. He is still practising despite numerous complaints and has been struck off in Denmark and England. A small problem became a large one after seeing him and after paying over 3000 euros I lost 2 teeth (fortunately at the back) I did get all my money back. I later had everything put right, implants etc which cost 13,000 euros. A root canal here costs 200/300 euros (probably 50 in the campo :roll: ) but the equipment is state of the art. I understand it is expensive in the UK too. My neighbour here, had to pay 50 euros per month for her daughters brace just for an adjustment visit!

Mixter
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mixter » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 pm

katy wrote:You can fool some of the people some of the time
You can fool some of the people all of the time
But you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.
Was this written by a Yorkshireman? it sounds as though it was.

Another one
I've been poor and I have been rich and rich is best.

At the end of the day people will only believe what they want to believe, tell them the streets are paved with gold in andalucia and no one should deny it. So long suckers.
I cant believe no-ones yet said this but....you can ALWAYS tell a Yorkshireman - but, tha cant tell him much!!

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:27 pm

katy,
thought you’d like that one, being a citymike fan and all...

retro,
scorcese’s take on dylan was fine with me
used dylan’s lyrics as theme when i was a TA (teacher’s assistant)
in philosophy at berkeley...
i'd rather he remain...

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:49 pm

Mixter, very good that, reminds me of an old quotation about Fred Trueman, during an inter county cricket match, after taking four wickets with four balls fred was heard to remark to an incoming batsman "don't bother closein't gate lad, that not be out ere long!
Ah! the full english!!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:37 am

I'm just siding up with Trogglafae .......that girl dishes out some of the most severe b0llockings I've witnessed...........I'm scared of nothing in life.........apart from her
Campo Kenny, trust me you have nothing to fear from me. I am usually a very mild mannered lady, and it takes a great deal to make me angry.

I do not like bullies, and cannot stand prejudice. I try and treat everyone with respect and kindness; I do however make exceptions in special circumstances.

Katy it is Troglodyfae, not Troggy, unless of course you prefer that I refer to you as Ka :lol: :lol: :lol:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:51 am

Nothing wrong with that Heston 8)

Absolutely Troglodyfae, couldn't agree more :evil:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:05 am

Retro P
this of course would include babies, young children and very old people who barely eat anything
and all the non nationals that live or holiday and buy food here too...then also others who consume their home grown goods..but makes you wonder just what everyone is eating..though it also said that people are eating out more...
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.