House running costs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Heston
Resident

living

Postby Heston » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:20 am

RETROP

answer to your question 500isnt just for food (or we would be real greedy Bs!!) Dont have mortgage or debts that house / living expenses
8)

patricia
Andalucia Guru

food

Postby patricia » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Very interesting thread actually (as one who is now looking to move inland). Everyone I know who lives inland are constantly telling me that it is much cheaper to live inland than on the coast and obvioulsy it is. The drinks in the bars are certainly cheaper and also they tell me the supermarkets are a lot cheaper than on the coast and as they live there they must know and also as they are aware of how much they have to spend each month they must know how much they spend on food and other items per month.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:11 pm

In this weeks Sur in english - average incomes for Guadalhorce Valley.
Makes interesting reading.
I am saying nothing else :roll:
http://www.surinenglish.com/noticias.php?Noticia=10229

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:15 pm

Actually, I am going to say something else!
My son has worked for the past 12 years in the supemarket business and I can confirm that it is not only normal practice for Supermarkets to have different prices in different stores, but it also the way that they maximise their profit margins.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:26 pm

I agree with Colins thoughts re. supermarket pricing, but I've really found it to be the other way round from what people have said on this thread ie I find the coast cheaper than inland.

The Eroski wine and beer prices on the coast are cheaper than the Eroski in our local village.

I also find that there are more 1 euro for a drink 1 euro for a tapas bars on the coast than in the village too...........we save a lot by shopping at the coast but do use the village for its butchers and ferriteria.

Kenny

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:02 pm

Colinm wrote:In this weeks Sur in english - average incomes for Guadalhorce Valley.
Makes interesting reading.
I am saying nothing else :roll:
http://www.surinenglish.com/noticias.php?Noticia=10229
Those average earnings are terrible - I wonder what the Spanish average wage is taken across the whole of Spain?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:16 pm

Wouldn't take too much notice of the figures, wages are low but there is still a black economy here. Some are on contract for 800 euros and the rest in the hand. Also pueblos usually have a higher percentage of old people so this takes down the average.

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm

Colinm - good link and makes us all realise just how lucky we are! A interesting survey carried out by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (federal as we are really 26 little countries/cantons under one umbrella) in 2001 showed the average MONTHLY income of a Swiss household as CHF 8,797 (€5,700 at the exchange rate at that time). And that was 2001! Add another +/- 10% (very low inflation rate in CH - recently one year we had deflation) for figures 2007. Do also take into account that very few women participate in the business world in CH. So the 'income' quoted would be normally a single income.
I admire people who can manage on little and would never comment on the such likes - hence I have refrained from joining the 'living costs' topic.
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:06 pm

We are finding our normal monthly outgoings (food and all household bills) are 700 per month. We don´t have a mortgage, rent or community fees to pay, and we don´t have a car as we don´t need one where we live but that figure includes public transport costs. For the moment we don´t need private health cover either, but that figure will increase in 2 years´time when our E106 cover runs out. I would struggle to get it down to 500 pm though!

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:44 pm

dido72 wrote: Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same?
Diana.
I think that if everyone was like me the world would be an intellectually absorbing place and there would be fewer mysteries in life because we would have debated them openly with an intellectual rigour.

10 pints of beer a day at 2 euros a pop means 20 euros a day and for a 30 day month equals 600 euros a month. Everything after that is discretionary spending so doesn't really count. Argument resolved?

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:59 pm

Citymikes approach seems very logical to me, there's nothing to stop you buying the odd loaf , is there? :lol: :lol:
Ah! the full english!!

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm

Made me chuckle :lol: What a tonic and just what this thread needed, although I am sure that there are some that woud like a gin with this tonic. Nice one Citymike :wink: