Spanish music

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:11 pm

I like the Gipsy Kings, always get people dancing. What happened to them? Are they still alive?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Loads of old funk/disco stuff on there Colin......just wish I had a way to stick'em all on a DVD.

Kenny

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gente » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:27 pm

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Gente....many thanks for that lead, just reading through it now........I'll do the 3 downloads needed.

I have been told about a couple of programmes that will record these files but you end up with the complete pc screen recorded...i.e. toolbars, cursor etc..............which is a bit naff.

Have you used this yourself......dying to try it, I'll take a few DVD'S over to Spain if it works.

Thanks again for that.

Kenny

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm

There must be a way of getting onto a DVD.......(i'll be up all night trying!)

Baccara appeared in the 1978 Eurovision representing Luxembourg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccara

Now that I think of it, Luxembourg had some really fit women representing them.....
I remember Vicki Leandros (1972 winner) and a few others, though I could be mixing them up with Monaco who had Severin (stunning, 1971 vintage), and Celine Dion (1988, when she was a normal sized person).......

ah, such sweet memories,
goodnight,

dewbug
Tourist

Postby dewbug » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:39 pm

lis48 wrote:
dewbug wrote:Going back to the Sevillanas, I would really like to find a book which gave the music and words to these street songs. By marrying up some of my interests (folk music and learning spanish) I was hoping to find another way to increase my knowledge of the language. Anyone out there able to point me in the right direction?
Buy a CD from Carrefour but check first that inside it has the "letras" (lyrics). The assistants will open them up for you if you smile and say it´s to help your Spanish, if not buy a cheap one. Otherwise google is good if you type in "sevillanas letras". It´s a great way to improve your Spanish.
Lis48 you're a star, I've been googling "sevillanas palabras" don't try it, it didn't work for me, now the hunt to find a cd with the right songs on. Didn't expect to find them in Carrefour, I've got all mine from El Corte Ingles so far.
Dewbug

gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gente » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:43 pm

kenny have used it a couple of times in the past have just tried it and as luck would have it video down loader is coming back with temporary maintenance on this service :o or at the moment possible over capacity ,will let you know if its up and working again later, recommend the fire fox browser if you don't already have it but that doesn't really help sorting out your DVDs

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: music

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:37 am

Heston wrote:The Gypsy kings played a good few tunes too!
They actually hailed from somehwere near St.Tropez in S.France so maybe they're not strictly speaking Spanish. But who cares? Neither is Jesse Cook. He's Canadian, but boy does he play a mean Spanish guitar! Go on everybody, get on Limewire and check him out, you won't be disappointed.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:57 am

Coilnm, that is fab, they so should have won!!! :lol:

Diana.

Steve&Yvonne
Andalucia.com Amigo

Gypsy Kings

Postby Steve&Yvonne » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Gypsy Kings played in London a few weeks/months back. Sounded quite old now and the old Singer Nicholas in particular. Great tunes though
Living in the south west and moving to Andalucia in six weeks time

Juan Miguel

Postby Juan Miguel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 am

Hello, I want to explain that Gypsy Kings are not Spanish, they are from France. Their lyrics sometimes are a mix between spanish and english, and some songs in spanish are dificult to understand (the fantastic version of Hotel California is a good example of this), although most of their songs are in spanish.

From the Wikipedia:

The Gipsy Kings are a group from Arles and Montpellier in France. Their parents fled from Spain during the Spanish Civil War. They are Calé (Gypsy) musicians, best known for bringing Rumba Catalana, a pop-oriented version of traditional flamenco music to mainstream audiences, a kind of Rumba Flamenca. Many songs of the Gipsy Kings fit social dances, such as Samba, Salsa and Rumba.

They became popular with their album, self titled Gipsy Kings, which included the songs "Djobi Djoba", "Bamboleo" and "Un Amor". The song "Volare" on their second album Mosaique is a rumba version of Domenico Modugno's Italian hit "Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu". The Gipsy Kings were enormously popular in France despite harsh criticism from flamenco purists. Gipsy Kings was successful throughout Europe, especially France and the UK. In 1989, Gipsy Kings was released in the United States and it spent 40 weeks on the charts, one of very few Spanish language albums to do so. Their cover version of "Hotel California" is an excellent example of fast classical guitar leads and flamenco strumming (this version was featured in the Coen Brothers' movie The Big Lebowski). In 1991 the Gipsy Kings provided flamenco guitar and backing vocals on Bananarama's version of "Long Train Running", using the pseudonym "Alma de Noche" ("Soul of the Night").

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:17 am

Hi All,
i love Shakira (big time) got one of her albums called "Grandes Exitos" which is a collection of her Spanish hits from her previous albums and a few translated songs (whenever, where ever Spanish version "Suerte")

I find it really good because when i pick up words, i check them out in my Spanish- English dictionary, its very time consuming but really good fun.

Before anyone points out the obvious, i know she's Columbian 8)
Via con DIABLO

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Spanish music

Postby marchamona » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:00 am

silver wrote:Well does anyone like Spanish non flamenco "pop" music???
Like ”un dia redondo” from La Guardia ..theme tune to Arrayan a daily progamme (like cross roads)on canal sur TV filmed in Malaga, Coin Alhaurin and coast.
Love Spanish music, but I mean sung in Spanish, as my collection is mainly South American and Mexican.

Luis Miguel-Cristian Castro-Armando Manzanero (mainly as a composer)-
All Bolero style songs+ Tangos.

Incidentally there are quite e few famous songs which were of Latin American origin: It's impossible(Somos novios)
What a difference a day makes(Quando vuelvo a tu lado)
Lambada is originally a Bolivian folk song.

Dealer
Resident

Postby Dealer » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Yeh that fit bird Shakira is fantastic, what's her music like? :shock:
"A soul afraid of dying will never live"

concorde
Resident

Postby concorde » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi Dealer,I love Shakira's music and her DVD 'Live off the record' is fantastic, a live concert in Amsterdam,complete with the CD as well.
She even sings Ac/Dc's 'Back in Black.'
Very versatile singer/songwriter, fantastic dancer and gorgeous looking too. Makes me sick!
Another great album is Laundry Service- Washed and Dried. Again a mixture of Spanish, but mostly sung in English. Check out her web-site, loads of info.

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:20 pm

Gipsy Kings get my vote and the 'self titled album' mentioned in Juan Miguel's post is a CD that I play often, especially if I need an energy boost :lol:

Another favourite is Faldie (full name Faldie Adams). His CD Recuerdos is easy listening Spanish guitar music which takes me instantly to Spain in my mind when I play it. Don't know whether he is Spanish or not, the CD was produced in Cape Town & London.
Meg - Sunny by nature

Megan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Megan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Forgot to mention Joaquin Rodrigo and his popular & well known Concierto de Aranjuez - haunting and beautiful music.
Meg - Sunny by nature

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:33 pm

Come on chaps, let's get real.

Mecano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvzyvkcVGao

Juan Miguel

Postby Juan Miguel » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:49 am

Hello I would like to recommend you a fantastic mexican pop group: Maná. This summer return to Málaga again in concert.

http://www.mana.com.mx/main.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITETukUvvnA

And from México is too Julieta Venegas. Her song Me voy has been a success in Spain.

http://www.julietavenegas.net/

Video: http://www.aulacolmenar.com/mod/resourc ... rue&id=132

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:18 am

Good ones Juan Miguel!
Thanks Fred

:lol: :lol: :lol: