PRIVATE HEALTH CARE

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
waterlily
Andalucia.com Amigo

PRIVATE HEALTH CARE

Postby waterlily » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:37 am

Hi

Can anybody recommend any Private Health Care Companies in Spain. Ideally reasonable, family cover and prepared to insure with health problems. This is proving more difficult than I imagined.

Thanks

Waterlily x

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:00 am

Difficult. The cheaper ones are cheaper because they don´t take on risks.
Research into which companies have reciprocal agreements so transfer between is easier. I had to join a more expensive one who would take anyone, Bupa International, and then switch over to one that honoured existing Bupa clients, Sanitas, after a year. If you are still in UK and have a year to go, I would join Bupa in UK now, checking first that there is automatic transfer when you move to Spain.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"

Juan Miguel

Postby Juan Miguel » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:13 am

Hi Waterlily I recomend you a new Sanitas Health Plan. It´s a health policy specially designed for foreign residents in Spain. Include many different services with no medical exclusions and no waiting periods and it looks no expensive. I don´t have more information, a friend told me about it but, if you want, you can contact me by pm and I can give you the website and the phone number.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:58 pm

We've just gone with Adeslas. There is a 6 month wait for certain things but this is waived in emergencies and despite me having an underactive thyroid, which is treatable but lifelong, they haven't put any exclusions on our policy. As they are now working with AXA all documentation is available in English and best of all they are about half the price of BUPA/Sanitas :D

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:50 pm

You could also try Prevision, a spanish company which only operates in Malaga provence.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:14 pm

How do the main providers view pre-existing conditions generally? Do they load the premium or just exclude cover?
Brian.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:27 pm

How do the main providers view pre-existing conditions generally?
From what I could see they excluded pre existing conditions completely.

I suppose if you offered 100,000 euros per month as a premium they might enter into discussions with you.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Does everybody have private health care?

Is it adviseable?

Diana

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:22 pm

Essential - No; Advisable - yes!

Thank God we have Private Health Care - not only for Hubbys recent hospitalisation but for his ongoing/long term care.

Can very highly recommend Prevision Medica who have been superb and very supportive during a stressful time.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Juan Miguel wrote:Hi Waterlily I recomend you a new Sanitas Health Plan. It´s a health policy specially designed for foreign residents in Spain. Include many different services with no medical exclusions .
Waterlily said there were previous medical problems and Sanitas most definitely DO exclude many pre existing medical conditions and reject many applicants if their medical board deems them a heavier than normal risk. The same is true of all the other "cheap" health insurers that have been quoted on here. In my case my pre-existing condition was serious but not life threatening and I have not even had to see a doctor about it for the last 30 years. I was still rejected even though I offered to pay a higher premium. Hence I joined Bupa who charge the earth but accept higher risks, and I insisted after a year that Sanitas take me on under their reciprocal agreement. It gave me immense pleasure! :) But Waterlily just has to try them all out for herself.
Más vale un "por si acaso" que un "¿quién lo iba a saber?"