Santa Semana

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:17 pm

silver wrote:Easter is one of the best dates in Andalucia...parades and good atmosphere in every town and village... for me the best parades are in Malaga town at night..especially Thursday night...and I mean all night from dark till dawn... when every throne is taken out.. one has 250 carriers.. in Rio Gordo have traditional representation 500 actors and the whole town dress up and put on varios scenes.
Which date is the procession in Rio Gordo?

The first time we tripped across one of these was in Burgos a few years ago...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ ... ageant.jpg

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:36 pm

look at mountie detailed post above
Which date is the procession in Rio Gordo?
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Juan Miguel

Postby Juan Miguel » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:37 pm

El Paso de Riogordo is the Friday 6 and Saturday 7.

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Thanks Juan. How does the parade in Colmenar compare to Rio Gordo? Bit of a trek up the hill to the church!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:21 pm

If you go to Malaga Kenny, be sure to go into Bar Pimpi for a drink and Tapas. Last time I went to Malaga at Easter off I went into Bar Pimpi and Antonio Banderas himself was in there!!!!! You may not be impressed of course, but Mrs Kenny maybe :)

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:40 pm

I'll go there Paula and she'll take a pic, probably of me standing next to the El Pimpi sign :shock: ..........that'll do my street cred. a power of good when we get home :wink:

spanish hopes
Resident

Re: Santa Semana

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:We'll be in Spain for our first Santa Semana .We missed out last year and left for home the week before.Kenny
Stop showing off kenny. I'll be over just a few weeks after you get back. :P :P

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:02 pm

I saw the penitents procession last year in Seville, no street lights, no house lights, just hundreds ( yes, hundreds ) of black hooded and robed people, some barefoot, carrying candles. Very eerie but fascinating at the same time. I would not have missed it for the world.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:02 pm

:lol:

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:39 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:I'll go there Paula and she'll take a pic, probably of me standing next to the El Pimpi sign :shock: ..........that'll do my street cred. a power of good when we get home :wink:
Make sure she doesn´t doctor the pic to have you standing next to an El Pimpli sign. :wink:

Juanmi
Tourist

Postby Juanmi » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:19 am

One more year the weather has cancelled the procesions in Andalucía. It´s a dilemma, a lot of people needs water an a lot of people now are praying for a sunny day.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:44 pm

I had gone to bed last Friday night when the OH called me to get up quick - there was a candlelight procession coming down our street from the church at the top which has just been renovated and opened as the Semana Santa musuem in Velez-Malaga. Rushed up to the roof terrace to watch the silent procession of people young and old, carrying candles with four guys bearing the statue of Christ on the cross, incense bearers etc, passing by at half past midnight. I´m not a religious person but as Brenda says these processions are strangely moving.

Velez is the main regional centre for the Semana Santa processions and the marquees are going up all over town for the tronas to be prepared and dressed with flowers. All last week the floodlights and stages were being erected. I hope the weather gets better as last time we came over for the Easter weekend it rained so hard that the Good Friday and Easter Sunday events had to be cancelled.