new residencia effecting re-matriculation?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

new residencia effecting re-matriculation?

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 am

the question arrises...

people who have the "new" residencia .. is it going to be registered like the old one and can they still not drive a foreign plated vehicle?

when u apply for a "new" residencia and go for a car transfer at the same time, will that still work ?

if a police man walks up to me and says "are you resident" and i say yes and pull out a piece of paper, how does he know that its real and not a photocopy? (faked)

if its going to be so much easier, will the world and his wife now apply?

so many questions so little time! :D:D:D

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:50 pm

I can see nothing but trouble ahead with this ridiculous change. Since the new certificate is not acceptable as a form of ID (no photo) it's not worth carrying around or showing to the police anyway. We will be forced to carry our passports, since that will be the ONLY acceptable ID for Brits. But since that does not prove we are resident, and since non-residents should not be driving Spanish registered vehicles (except rentals of course) how do we explain our circumstances to a cop who has no idea about the new regulations either?

Can anyone tell me, does Trafico now issue plastic credit card sized photo driving licences, and will I get one when I renew my Spanish licence this year? And has anybody used (and had accepted) the new format licence as ID?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:03 pm

Miro wrote:and since non-residents should not be driving Spanish registered vehicles (except rentals of course)
huh :shock: since when ??

a uk driving licence is accepted as proof of id.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:17 pm

I know a number of people who own and drive Spanish veichles but they are not resident, i didn't think it was against the law, I'm surprised they got the insurance, tax etc if it is, anyone know for certain what the law is

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Here's a reply I received from an enquiry into the new residencia requirements:

Hello Clive -

Many thanks for this. I have been reading through the actual text of the law but the net result is that nothing has really changed!

Looking at the background information, this law has been designed to restrict access to Bulgaria, Rumania and other ex-Eastern block workers in order to guard against the rest of Europe being swamped by cheap labour.

So far as us Brits are concerned, we have the following choices:

1 Special Certificate + in date National Passport to be carried at all times

2 Residencia which will cost more (the same as the Spanish DNI cards) but last longer (10 years in place of the current 5)

The new regulations are supposed to come into force at the end of this month but to date, none of the government web sites e.g., Ministry of the Interior have changed their information. Looks like it is going to be chaos and confusion as usual! It will also be interesting to see how other administrative bodies e.g., Notaries react.

I still reckon that you’ll be better off with, rather than without a Residencia card and I will certainly continue to renew mine.

Kindest regards,

MARION

The Torresol Group

(Torresol Gestión Integral SL)
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:56 pm

Article in the CDSN this week still left me confused DOH

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:11 pm

malagaman2005 wrote:...none of the government web sites e.g., Ministry of the Interior have changed their information.
The MIR web site has, in fact been updated. Details here:

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/extranje/regi ... encia.html

And the new form ex-16 which used to be the application for residencia but which is now for the certificate:

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extra ... /ex_16.pdf

Apparently the DNI card for Spanish nationals is being revamped and the regulations may include the possibility of some kind of ID card for foreigners (as opposed to a 'permit to reside' in Spain).

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:26 pm

Malagaman said:

"So far as us Brits are concerned, we have the following choices:

1 Special Certificate + in date National Passport to be carried at all times

2 Residencia which will cost more (the same as the Spanish DNI cards) but last longer (10 years in place of the current 5)

I still reckon that you’ll be better off with, rather than without a Residencia card and I will certainly continue to renew mine."

So we can still get a residencia card? But then Beachcomber says:

"Apparently the DNI card for Spanish nationals is being revamped and the regulations may include the possibility of some kind of ID card for foreigners (as opposed to a 'permit to reside' in Spain)."

So we may be able to get some sort of ID card? I'm just as confused as before, which is pretty confused, as can be seen from my earlier post which confused others. I apologise for that - I think I must have been thinking that in order to register a Spanish vehicle, you need a NIE number, but of course that is quite different from "residencia".

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:28 pm

Spanishlad said "a uk driving licence is accepted as proof of id."
What if you don't have a UK licence? Spanish licence any good?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:14 am

Miro wrote:Malagaman said:...
2 Residencia which will cost more (the same as the Spanish DNI cards) but last longer (10 years in place of the current 5)......

So we can still get a residencia card? But then Beachcomber says:

"Apparently the DNI card for Spanish nationals is being revamped and the regulations may include the possibility of some kind of ID card for foreigners (as opposed to a 'permit to reside' in Spain).
Miro, I don't think these two statements are mutually incompatible. I have seen no confirmation that we will still be able to obtain some kind of ID card, it certainly does not say this on the MIR site, but Malagaman's source appears to confirm that it is so.

I have given this link before although I appreciate it isn't of much use unless you can understand Spanish legalese:

http://www.derecho.com/xml/disposicione ... ion=211407

There is nothing in that law referring to 'ID cards'.

I think its all a bit like 'the blind leading the blind' at the moment.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:13 pm

Miro wrote:Spanishlad said "a uk driving licence is accepted as proof of id."
What if you don't have a UK licence? Spanish licence any good?
if its got a photo on then yeah

marchamona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby marchamona » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:51 am

Has anyone tried for the new residencia certificate yet?

If so, can you let us know what exactly are the paperwork requirements.

I assume it is not just the passport that local functionaries will require, but photocopies of a number of other documents too.

thanks

MANDERS
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby MANDERS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:08 am

And the new form ex-16 which used to be the application for residencia but which is now for the certificate:

http://www.mir.es/SGACAVT/modelos/extra ... /ex_16.pdf
Thanks for this Beachcomber but I cannot link onto it from my very poor connection. Do you have a .pdf copy on your computer which you could send to me pretty please :?: :lol:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:20 pm

I have sent you an ex-16 as an attachment. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

The only thing is that sometimes they make subtle changes to the forms and the only way you can be sure you have a current one is by downloading it from the MIR web site.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 pm

Fuengirola police station is still doing fingerprints for residence cards. I don't know what is happening with new applications but they have, at least, made the procedure a bit more civilised.

You no longer have to queue up at 6.30 am to get a ticket. If you call 952 198355 they will give you a number over the telephone.

They have also made a few cosmetic changes inside. The counter has now gone and you just wait then go to a desk.