black fly infestation

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

black fly infestation

Postby pilgrim » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:40 pm

The leaves on the lower half of my orange tree are covered in black fly. How can I get rid of them?

sueb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sueb » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:44 pm

not sure if this will work on spanish black fly but back in england I used to spray plants infested with blackfly with a solution of water and washingup liquid, it usually works. worth a try.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:07 pm

Unless you are an eco-friend use a decent commercial insecticide.

I would recommend Bayer Confidor as a systemic insecticide - it is absorbed by the plant and protects for a month or more.

If you already have the bugs use a contact insecticide like Bayer Decis. This kills on contact.

Washing up liquid works on a few simple bugs but you will need to use it often. Another eco-friendly solution is to use Neem Oil.

Sid

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Water and Fairy liquid works a treat on my roses and on my tree's as well, my cousin (gardener to the rich and famous) claims a solution of water and any soap containing lanolin would be better. Whatever it's got to be better on fruit than a chemical based spray.

mhic

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am

I think any soap based product will work. As I understand it, what happens is that the soap breaks down the surface tension of the water, so the blackfly are covered in a film of it and drown. So you need to be fairly meticulous in covering them and be prepared to do it more than once.
Grouser

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

thanks

Postby pilgrim » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:10 pm

thanks for your replies, will continue with the daily dose of water and washing up liquid for another few days